JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the last few weeks our son has been using our '03 F-250 (hereafter referred to as Scharnhorst) while he shopped for a new vehicle. Earlier this week lowlifes broke into Scharnhorst at son's place of employment by punching the door locks out. There wasn't anything of value in it, but the Orcs took the registration and proof of insurance. Does the NWF commentariat agree that I should treat this with
heightened security measures? The break-in occurred in Anacortes and we live in Lake Stevens, but bad guys are mobile. Gonna secure things a bit better and keep an eye out for suspicious people.
I can't think of what good the vehicle registration and proof of insurance would do them, (Both were in the same envelope containing whatever one shows the cops when necessary.) other than an address to check out with criminal intent.

I solicit the input of NWF contributors.

I grew up in Portland near Se. 82nd. It was colloquially known as Felony Flats. I couldn't even count the number of times I had my car broken into and my insurance cards stolen. We even stopped locking the vehicle in vain attempts to save the windows.

Besides the broken windows, and sense of helplessness, nothing of note ever occurred in regards to our stolen insurance cards.

Car alarms, well lit areas, cameras, dogs and garages can all help in deterring the scum of the earth.

Hopefully they'll just make paper airplanes out of them and all will be ok.
That does suck though. Does the vehicle have any bumper stickers that attract the wrong kind of attention? Anything that say's "I have guns" is always bad; NRA stickers, etc... gives them a reason to get your home address.
Good thing you had nothing of value for them to steal.

I would be concerned. An unauthorized individual now has your name and location. With just a phone number I can get a lot more than that. It's amazing how much info you get on a person with even just a name and address.

Here's my read on it...
They didn't know your son was borrowing your truck. They assumed it belonged to a worker there.
Now they have your address, and the notion that you'll be at work 9-5, M-F.
All thieves should be executed. The clever ones should be executed twice.
(or sent to DC).
Stay frosty...

1) I eschew political statements on my vehicles for that very reason. (Eschew obfuscation!! :D)
Nothing says "BREAK IN!!!" like "Insured by S&W" and other such cutesie crap, and nothing says "VANDALIZE THIS VEHICLE!!!" like a MAGA sticker. It sucks to allow the Commie Mob to decide what I say, but it doesn't help to invite attack.
Normally Scharnhorst lives in our driveway in the semi-rural splendor of the bucolic Lake Connor area, and we have not had any problems. The company's camera caught it, and it took a total of ~ 45 sec. The damage to the truck will be a PITA to deal with, since they broke the passenger side door linkage as well as punching out both locks. They got one guy's wallet :eek: which would be a full on DEFCON 5 event. (Don't leave your wallet in your car.)
We can expect this sort of thing to become more common as .gov/DNC socio-economic policies are enacted in a Blue Cesspool near you.

2) "It's amazing how much info you get on a person with even just a name and address."
Yes it is. I have looked people up, and the level of detail available really IS amazing.

3) "They didn't know your son was borrowing your truck. They assumed it belonged to a worker there. Now they have your address, and the notion that you'll be at work 9-5, M-F.
Good take on it. The Beloved thought that they probably don't want to go that far, but agreed that new OPSEC measures will be initiated. The break-in occurred during 2nd shift. Not sure that it would be assumed as safe to B&E at night since most families have somebody home at night, but good observation. Any assumption that the premises are unoccupied is likely wrong and I always have my piece on my person.

4) "All thieves should be executed. The clever ones should be executed twice."
And certain things are particularly despicable to steal, e.g. guns, tools, motorcycles, trucks, cars, etc.
Team Mo has the high sign on it: cut off a hand the 1st time, and cut off the opposite foot for recidivists.
I think that's kinda harsh. Flogging and branding would be satisfactory the 1st time. :mad:

Odds are that they just grabbed stuff in the interest of time. However, you are right to tighten things up. And especially if there was anything on/in the truck that would give indication that you are a gun owner...like a NRA sticker or similar...or anything else that would indicate there might be good stuff to steal at the home address.

Suggestion. Scan/digitize your Insurance Card and your Registration. Then find a way to keep a copy with you, and don't keep the physical documents in the vehicle.

I am an Apple user (Mac, iPhone, iPad) and what I do is:
  • Save the scans of the Insurance Card and Registration to an Apple Note.
  • One Apple Note per vehicle.
  • Other members of my immediate family are also Apple users, so I can share the Note(s) with them.

"And especially if there was anything on/in the truck that would give indication that you are a gun owner...like a NRA sticker or similar...or anything else that would indicate there might be good stuff to steal at the home address."

There was nothing gun-related that I can remember.

I had the same thing happen a few years back, and I also lived in Lake Stevens at the time. Nothing ever came of it.

Chances are your papers are pasted into a feces-filled gutter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top