JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You'll first break up into 2 or 3 squads of 10-12 people each, depending on how many show up. There will be a number of stages, typically six. Each squad will shoot a stage, one person at a time, and then move on to the next stage until they have completed all 6. Each stage will consist of 3 or more targets at different distances, sizes, and locations. You may need to shoot the targets in several different strings, with your times added together.

You are scored on your time and if you happened to skip any of the targets.

There will be people there with .22s, revolvers, .45s, and all calibers in between. It's relatively low pressure but you are shooting against the clock so you have a little pressure on you to complete in a decent time. The times I've gone, it was a lot of fun and you have a chance to meet lots of good people.

You should bring 150 or more rounds. More if you tend to miss a lot :D, but it's OK, you'll be in good company!

Last Edited:
It is a sport where you are timed on how fast you can shoot three to six targets at each stage. You have five tries to get four best times per stage. There are six stages at a Albany match. Most matches you do not move from the shooting box.

The safety rules are typical of pistol matches. It is a "cold" range match, meaning no pistols are handled except at the shooting box under the direction of the range Officer or at a safety table. You can be disqualified if you break any safety rules which are covered at the beginning of each match. They can also be found on the web, http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/SCSARules.pdf.

Guns that can be used are 9mm or larger center fire pistols, 22 pistols or 22 rifles. Center fire pistols start from a holster. The 22 pistols or rifles start at the "low ready" position, pointing 45 degrees down in front of the shooter. You must have enough magazines to shoot all five strings of each stage without reloading magazines. I recommend you have ten rounds per string. For a ruger 10/22 rifle this could be two 25 round mags and a ten rounder. For a 1911 you'll need 5 magazines. At the end of shooting each stage you will need to holster you pistol or case your gun until the next stage.

New shooters are encouraged and welcomed. Be sure to let the RO and squad know if you are a new shooter so they can help you get through the match safety, share tips and insure you have fun.

What is the difference?

The difference is whether the club paid to affiliate with the USPSA sub organization "Steel Challenge" (or is just using the name without permission.
I will assume that APRC paid for the affiliation. TCGC uses the name Speed Steel and has since before USPSA bought the naming rights to Steel Challenge.
All of the good matches use the same courses of fire for the most part and the same rules as it makes the match more worth while for people who want to go to the few regional or national level matches which in turn brings up the level of competition. The higher level of competition makes for a real eye opener at the first couple of matches because you learn what really good is and find out that you aren't. After that it provides a good metric to evaluate you improvement and you become a better shooter.

That was a fun little match. 31 shooters broken up into three squads. Some good courses of fire...

As mentioned, Speed Steel was how it was known before USPSA bought Steel Challenge and now getting steel matches set up into clubs affiliated with USPSA. For all intents and purposes, Steel Challenge and Speed Steel are the same thing... Its a competitive match shooting at all steel targets. It is about as "entry level" as you'll ever find in a match setting; at the ARPC the match fees are only $10, relatively high round count (lots-o-trigger time) and no real movement through a stage. "Steel" is not a gear intensive game like some others; need a firearm, magazines and ammo. Holster if you're shooting a handgun, but your first time out they might let you start with a handgun from the low ready if you didn't have a holster. It is very low key, lots of cajoling, joking and just having a great time.

For gear I take eye and ear pro. Handgun, holster, five magazines and 300rds of ammo. Usually come home with 120 to 150 rounds, but I'd rather take a few extra than run out, or have a few extra for someone who has run out so they might be able to finish the match.

Come out and try it (or come out and watch)... the ARPC match is open to the public and I believe TCGC is too.

I was able to make it to the steel challenge in May and it was more fun than I thought it would be. It was my first firearm competition I had ever done besides bullseye so my expectations of succeeding were very low. I ended up getting the 4th overall fastest time, granted I was shooting a .22 vs others center-fire. Still had a lot of fun.

It's a very addicting sport! So simple but so fun.
We have a big steel challenge match next weekend (6/7/14) so I've been practicing a few of my slower stages, I shot 600 rounds between Wednesday and Saturday morning. Then Saturday after I practiced one stage a few people showed up for a "practice match". We ran through all 8 stages just like we would in an actual match, then did the same thing today. I shot 1,142 rounds of 45acp this week.
The best advice I have received so far (I've only shot 2 actual matches) is "you cannot miss fast enough to get good times".

Sooooo uspsa office told me that TCGC is tied to the scsa and that those scores are used to classifiy you. and that arpc was not recording scores to report to SCSA.

But you can call USPSA in Wa. and ask them..... 360-855-2245

Oh well i'm shooting ABC house match come Sat!!!!! makes the 2nd IPSC match in over 10yrs !! the last TCGC uspsa (may) was the 1st in that time, shot a solid C class score not bad for the long break.... and shooting a Red dot for the 1st time. Just wish i can find that Damm DOT in half the time and i"d be back to my old open class times before optics!!!!!

Oh yeah ARPC may steel match SUCKED for me.. cannt find that Damm Dot... LOL

I had thought that Tri-County and USPSA had kinda "split the sheets" over Tri-County's new rules about muzzle control.

<--- looking forward to ABC House match on Saturday too.

My 1st time there when I went wth pirate past 40..... Guess it is a OutLaw match, but it was FUN!!!!

I would like to put back together a shooting team like we had back in Reno , its main sponsor was western nevada bullet co. Now known as X-Treme.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads