JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently have a scoped Winchester .22M lever action that is very accurate and a blast to shoot. Trouble is it makes a racket and is a bit more punch than needed for smaller varmint around the ranch. I'd like to get a .22 rifle (or maybe revolver) with an EPA/Michael Bloomberg endorsed silencer, suppressor, or whatever PC description is now used. If rifle, I'm thinking perhaps another lever action or at least a model with a magazine. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Henry rifle makes a threaded 22lr lever gun that would be good but It is a 24" barrel which baffles me. They were probably trying to leave room with supressor attached to load and unload tube mag. I think it may have been unnecessary though, as most 22lr supressors are very slim these days. A 10/22 is pretty damn quiet with standard velocity cci and a supressor. Or my favorite, a ruger charger threaded pistol. A threaded bolt or lever gun will be the quietest. Revolvers don't really work well with supressors so you can scratch those. Buying a factory threaded 10/22 or boltgun will be the most cost effective route.

Last Edited:
Found this review on the Henry. That octagonal, 24" barrel does indeed make it look like a big bore gun. I'd prefer to find something with a shorter barrel, but short of aftermarket modification, looks like stock options are limited.

Gun Review: Henry Frontier Long Barrel

I found another thread on this subject from back in 2014 that mentions the Savage Mark II FV-SR, and also this video about the Savage with and w/o a Sparrow suppressor. To be honest, I don't see that much difference in noise.

This was a good video showing the difference just in ammo using a standard Henry .22 Lever Action. The noise reduction on the CCI Quiet is amazing. Too bad someone does not make a "quiet" version for the .22M. Maybe I'll just look for a nice, used .22 LA and use the CCI Quiet.

That would be a cheaper option for sure. A can on a boltie is noticeably quieter than without using the same ammo. It is quieter than most air rifles using cci standard velocity. It is probably not as apparent on video. 0ut of a 16" or longer barrel, cci standard velocity is hearing safe without a can but may alert close neighbors. The cci quiet may be the ticket for you.

Winchester makes a 22 magnum sub-sonic. X22MSUB. Try some in your current gun and see if it reduces
the noise and power enough.

I put together something along those lines. It is a standard Ruger 10/22, I swapped the barrel to a threaded 16¼" and use it with a .22-caliber Cascade silencer. With standard ammo, it is pretty quiet. With subsonics, it is very quiet indeed.

1022canfan-jpg.jpg

I currently have a scoped Winchester .22M lever action that is very accurate and a blast to shoot. Trouble is it makes a racket and is a bit more punch than needed for smaller varmint around the ranch. I'd like to get a .22 rifle (or maybe revolver) with an EPA/Michael Bloomberg endorsed silencer, suppressor, or whatever PC description is now used. If rifle, I'm thinking perhaps another lever action or at least a model with a magazine. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Some options I can think of (in most desirable order for me but your preferences may be different).

1) .22 cal crosman/benjamin maurader pistol with tko lead dust collector. Completely silent, completely deadly. Has an 8 shot clip. I do mean completely silent. No one will hear it if more than 10' away. TKO is about $50-$70 and pistol is about $300. Walmart air pump around $50 Very high power. Add a stock for around $20 to make it a carbine if desired.

2) Crosman custom shop .177 or .22 CO2 powered carbine or pistol (2300KT, 2400KT). $100- $140 depending on your specs. Get the olympic grade lothar walther match barrel. It is worth it. You can shoot single hole groups at 20 yards with the right pellet. Quite a bit lower power than marauder pistol but makes it up with unbelievable accuracy.

3) Try your existing gun with subsonic ammo. See my .22 LR round sound tests here: CCI .22 sound levels non-scientific test results
That test was out of a 9" barrel so your longer barrel will reduce the sound a lot more than the 9" barrel.

4) get 22 rifle or pistol with threaded barrel and add silencer. I would suggest SW22 for accuracy if going pistol route or walther p22 qd if you want small and light pistol. Re rifles there are tons of options. I personally like this hk 416 22lr "rifle-like" pistol. Cost is $350-$400 plus about $100 for the legal, shoulderable pistol brace. You can throw this gun anywhere and with this $26 red dot sight you will hit anything you see with near perfect accuracy if you use the brace. This gun is almost all metal and very well built and has threaded barrel. The most fun gun I have ever owned. The recoil spring is adjustable so you can make it cycle with ammo of various power levels. Comes with a 20 rd mag but 30 rd. mags are available for around $25 IMG_4480a.jpg IMG_4481a.jpg
red dot sight

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fm-20&linkId=536bd7fe86e52d574fddf3e030d76f90

FYI brownells currently has a 22LR suppressor for $109 on sale. Also look for codes for 10% and free shipping. Tornado technologies in beaverton is registered with Brownells so you can order immediately if using them as the "ship to" company. There may be other local class three FFLs that are registered with Brownells also. Edit: Oops just saw u are in Montana. Look at Brownells registered dealers list for local class 3 dealers.

Last Edited:
Savage MK-II threaded and apply for the CAN. These rifles are about the most accurate .22 out there at any price, and with the right ammo, the only thing you hear is the firing pin snap as it hits the rim! I use CCI standard velocities in mine and with the suppressor, it's very VERY quiet. even with out the Can, its quieter then most air guns! For Ultra quiet, Remington C.B. subsonics are about as quiet as it gets. They will not cycle any semi autos, but with a good manual feed, will work in most rifles and pistols!

Pro tip, old varmint wackers used to get the longest barrels they could find, the length would take most of the BANG noise of the .22LR away leaving only the small crack of the bullet it's self as the source of noise. with a CAN, that all changes!
I would look for at least a 16" barrel out to a 20" threaded for the ultimate suppressor host!:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top