Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Star Trek’s’ Spock, Dies at 83

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chee-to, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Leonard Nimoy, ‘Star Trek’s’ Spock, Dies at 83
    • BBi2SNq.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=556&y=265.jpg
    Leonard Nimoy lived up to his longtime catchphrase: Live long and prosper. Having achieved success in many arenas during his lifetime, the actor, director, writer and photographer has died at age 83. His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, reportedly confirmed his death to the New York Times, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Most widely known for his performance as half-human, half-Vulcan science officer Spock on the classic sci-fi TV show “Star Trek” and its many subsequent film and videogame incarnations, Nimoy was also a successful director, helming “Star Trek” pics “The Search for Spock” and “The Voyage Home,” as well as non-“Star Trek” fare; an accomplished stage actor; a published writer and poet; and a noted photographer. He also dabbled in singing and songwriting.

But despite his varied talents, Nimoy will forever be linked with the logical Mr. Spock. Spotted by “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry when he appeared on Roddenberry’s NBC Marine Corps. skein “The Lieutenant,” Nimoy was offered the role of Spock and co-starred in the 1965 “Star Trek” pilot “The Cage.” NBC execs liked the concept but thought the pilot too cerebral, so they ordered a second pilot of the Desilu production with some script and cast changes (only Nimoy made it through both pilots). The series finally bowed on the Peacock in the fall of 1966. After three seasons, it was canceled in 1969 but would go on to be a hit in syndication, spawning films and other TV incarnations and gaining a huge following of fans known as Trekkers or Trekkies.

2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sad to hear this today. I really liked him. :(

3. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Well so much for Vulcans living over 200 years :rolleyes: I grew up watching him and he will be missed.

OLDNEWBIE and Ratfink like this.
  4. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

I always liked his acting and his speaking. Maybe not everything he said, but he seemed like a genuine good individual.

6. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Sad to see him go.
    Ill watch TOS to remember him. :)

They'll all be dropping like flies here soon. :(

7. Ratfink

Ratfink Eastern Conservative Orygun Retired Madman

make a course for the nearest star Mr. Spock.....RIP:(

8. NONAME762

NONAME762 Nowheresville Active Member

I grew up watching Star Trek too. RIP Mister Spock.

9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My favorite. As I am turning 60 this year, I can relate.

PDXbiker and Mikej like this.
  10. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

The Crew of the Enterprise indirectly tackled issues of sex, drugs, race, war and other hot topic 60's issues here on Earth while on it's "Five year Mission" out in the Final Frontier.

Good and Evil was pretty clearly defined and neatly dealt with in the half hour episodes.
    No fan, (myself included), would have disputed the sometimes Progressive actions taken by Kirk and his Officers were always right and just! It always seemed to work out in the end.

But T.V. is fantasy and although I loved Spock on the original ST, I probably would have hated Nimoy's political slant concerning guns and all the rest of it.

Saying that, I'd bet Nimoy's character Spock, would be raising his eyebrow and calling all the anti-gun Legislators and the people who voted for them "Highly Illogical".

tumblr_mp4sm1juSg1qb8m3zo1_500.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  11. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Live long, and prosper. That he did.

:(

U201491 likes this.