JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
'Stand your ground' law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff
(Wadoya think ; vid @ link)

An argument over a handicapped parking spot at a convenience store in Florida led to a fatal shooting and the man who pulled the trigger won't be arrested under the state's "stand your ground" self-defense law, authorities said.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told reporters during a Friday press conference that Thursday's shooting death of Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old father of three, is "within the bookends of stand your ground and within the bookends of force being justified," the Tampa Bay Times reports.

"I'm not saying I agree with it, but I don't make that call," Gualtieri told reporters, adding that his agency will now forward the case to the State Attorney's Office for a final decision.

Surveillance video obtained by The Post shows McGlockton walking up to Michael Drejka, 47, who was arguing with McGlockton's girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, 24, over a handicapped parking spot at the Circle A Food store on Sunset Point Road in Clearwater on Thursday.

Detectives from the sheriff's office said Jacobs had parked her 2016 Chrysler 2000 in a handicapped spot without a permit, leading to the argument with Drejka that prompted a witness to alert a clerk inside.

That's when McGlockton, who is black, exited the store and approached Drejka, shoving him violently to the ground with both hands, surveillance video shows. While still on the ground, Drejka, who is white, then pulled out a gun and shot McGlockton, firing a single round that struck him in the chest, deputies said.

The young father then staggered back into the store and collapsed in front of the couple's 5-year-old son, who is named after McGlockton, Jacobs told the Tampa Bay Times. He was pronounced dead a short time later.

"He's not too good," Jacobs said of the boy. "It comes and goes, but he knows [McGlockton] is dead."

Prior to Gualtieri's announcement Friday, Jacobs told the newspaper that McGlockton died from a "wrongful death" as a result of Drejka's actions.

"It's a wrongful death," she told the newspaper earlier Friday. "It's messed up. Markeis is a good man … He was just protecting us, you know? And it hurts so bad."

The couple had been together since 2009 after meeting at Dunedin High School, Jacobs said. The certified nursing assistant told the newspaper she parked in the handicap spot because the parking lot was packed. Surveillance video, however, showed several open parking spaces in front of the store prior to the deadly shooting.

The couple's two other children – a 4-month-old and a 3-year-old – were inside the car with Jacobs, she said. She is now in the process of hiring a lawyer to determine her options and next move, she told the Tampa Bay Times, adding that she wants justice on McGlockton's behalf.

"He's getting out like he's a police officer or something, and he's approaching me," she said. "I minded my own business … I didn't do anything wrong."

'Stand your ground' law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

upload_2018-7-21_18-10-55.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The certified nursing assistant told the newspaper she parked in the handicap spot because the parking lot was packed. Surveillance video, however, showed several open parking spaces in front of the store prior to the deadly shooting.
i don't give a rats azz how many kids he is the father of - I suspect Markeis McGlockton dropped into his 'inna city' street vernacular and started in on Drejka with something like: Sheeit Mutha fuka, why you be pushin' my beetch aroun' when she be doin' nuthin' but parkin' - and then shoves Drejka who ultimatly shoots him.
Maybe this will be a 'wake up call' to these 'thugs' who think they because they are of some other 'persuasion' they have the freedom to intimidate others because of 'who they are'

1. Doesn't matter what color they both were. 2. The man became the aggressor and got shot.

Nothing else to write about, would it have mattered if the Black guy instead of pushing the man to the ground
shot him, and he had kids. The reporting in America is beyond ignorant.

Now, the only issue I can see was there a deadly threat to use a stand your ground law?
Was the man who did the shooting disabled and hence the argument ?
Could the man have called police after being assaulted what was the fear level.

Its kinda touchy not sure with what was reported id have fired, cause I would have got up and put that MF to the ground himself. Hard to know when it went from assault to aggravated assault ?
Which most likely would have made the response more clear.

Keep your hands to yourself, don't get shooted.

What's sick is that all the media is blaming "stand your ground", like the ability to defend yourself from a violent assailant is wrong.

On the other hand, the shooter could have avoided the situation entirely and saved himself a lot of trouble and headaches. He probably should have minded his own business.

Yea but lol there is no law for being a dumb bubblegum .

Keep your hands to yourself, don't get shooted.

What's sick is that all the media is blaming "stand your ground", like the ability to defend yourself from a violent assailant is wrong.

On the other hand, the shooter could have avoided the situation entirely and saved himself a lot of trouble and headaches. He probably should have minded his own business.

He could have just given a disappointing look towards her on his way into the store, bought his smokes/jerky/coke whatever and gone home without trying to"prove something" and ultimately killing someone.
But sure, it's all the other guys fault.

While I no doubt agree with you - how far do we go to placate certain 'people' to allow to do what they want?
This is akin to road rage situations where IF most were to take the 'low road' nothing would happen and we all go along our merry way - but with the 'aggressed' person having to deal with the shame of the incident.
I know some very wealthy (and angry) people who actually believe they are 'right' regardless of the situation because of their money and how they grew up - I had an 'altercation' with one just the other day and told him how I felt...

The guy was bigger, younger, with a bad attitude with the thought, I'll only be a minute and fudge everybody else. Oh but he was a really nice guy as long it didn't bother him. There's to many of those people in this world. But he did back off when the gun came out and he was 10 to 15 feet away????? I would not of pulled the trigger but REALLY would have wanted too. But it's just one more THUG the rest of us don't have watch out for.

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR