JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a new elk rifle. Interested in something stainless. Not too particular about the asthetics, just wanting a nice shooting rifle. I have looked at both the Tikka T3 SL and the Savage 116, but would be interested in something similar in price and quality.

Unless you get a smoking deal on a savage buy the tikka. I would not ignore many other brands,such as ruger,or weatherby vanguard. My Rugers shoot really well. If you are patient a good used 30-06 will show up soon enough. Just my two cents

Ever notice there are very few Tikka's in the classifieds?

There's a good reason for that;).

I'd either buy one in a caliber that is for sale or plan on buying one new if your set on 30-06.

Haha. Fair enough. A Tikka would be my preference, but I am not in a rush... elk season doesn't start for a while!

I did have one offer for a used Tikka from out of state. I have never bought a gun from out of state, so I want to make sure I understand the laws before I proceed. My understanding is that I can buy a rifle from a private party in a different state if I get them to ship it to a licensed FFL dealer in Oregon and then have the dealer do the FFL transfer just like they would for any private party sale. Is there anything I am missing about that?

Haha. Fair enough. A Tikka would be my preference, but I am not in a rush... elk season doesn't start for a while!

I did have one offer for a used Tikka from out of state. I have never bought a gun from out of state, so I want to make sure I understand the laws before I proceed. My understanding is that I can buy a rifle from a private party in a different state if I get them to ship it to a licensed FFL dealer in Oregon and then have the dealer do the FFL transfer just like they would for any private party sale. Is there anything I am missing about that?

I believe that covers it.

I personally like to inspect stuff before I buy but I know many that have bought from out of state.

Im a big 30-06 fan myself.

One thing you can always count on during and before hunting season is that there will be a few boxes of it on the shelf of any place that sells ammo:cool:.

What is a reasonable thing to request from a private party seller to ensure that they actually ship me the rifle after I pay for it? Looks like postal money order is pretty standard, but that doesn't give me much protection other than their name and address. What have other folks offered as sellers, or requested as buyers. The person who is selling this rifle is not a member on here and hasn't given me any references or reviews, and I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the risk and hassle of shipping, but as you all said, discount Tikka's don't show up that often.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.