Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Springfield 9mm Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BilliG, Jun 17, 2015.

1. BilliG

BilliG Coos Bay, OR New Member

I have an XDS-9mm, which is cocked and ready to go, next to my bed. Yes, I use the push-pull method to rack the slide, but it still takes time that I may not have in an emergency. Is this causing something to wear out prematurely or damaging it in some way?

lowly monk likes this.
  2. IheartSig

IheartSig Beaverton Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Platinum Supporter

Is what damaging it? Can you clarify your question a bit? Is it cocked with one in the chamber? if you leave it in that state no, it wont damage it, it is the constant ware through use that, over time, can reduce a firearms mechanical soundness...but even then ...it would need to be a whole LOT of action cycling

mjbskwim and oknow like this.
  3. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I certainly recommend the Push-Pull method to rack any semi-auto.

If you are choosing to keep the gun without a round in the chamber, then I strongly suggest you practice other racking methods. What if you have to be holding someone or something? What if you are injured?

4. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

I keep mine in that state all the time. It does not cause any damage or ware. Perhaps the structure of the spring will eventually change but I cant find any data on specific metallurgy. Mine shoots as good as new.

5. IheartSig

IheartSig Beaverton Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Platinum Supporter

Guys, pardon my ignorance but can someone please elaborate on the push pull method? I must not be understanding what condition we are talking about.

mjbskwim and Koda like this.
  6. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

im guessing he means the slingshot method. As long as your letting go of the slide at its most rearward position your fine. If your following or assisting the forward motion of the slide you could be damaging the gun or cause it to jam.

IheartSig likes this.
  7. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The idea is that you push the gun with the strong hand
    and hold, or pull, the slide with the weak hand.
    Most of the movement to rack the slide is generated by the strong hand, arm.

A very quick search turned this video up - on the surface some might take it as sexist. you have been cautioned.
    You can skip t he first 1 mnute

sling shot to me means using 2 fingers to pinch the slide. Like you do to pinch the pouch of a sling shot. I do not recommend this method. But if that is all you can do ... go for it.

IheartSig likes this.
  8. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

What if your thumb gets injured? It is better to use palm and fingers I think.

9. BilliG

BilliG Coos Bay, OR New Member

Thanks Everyone :)!