JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an XDS-9mm, which is cocked and ready to go, next to my bed. Yes, I use the push-pull method to rack the slide, but it still takes time that I may not have in an emergency. Is this causing something to wear out prematurely or damaging it in some way?

Is what damaging it? Can you clarify your question a bit? Is it cocked with one in the chamber? if you leave it in that state no, it wont damage it, it is the constant ware through use that, over time, can reduce a firearms mechanical soundness...but even then ...it would need to be a whole LOT of action cycling

I certainly recommend the Push-Pull method to rack any semi-auto.

If you are choosing to keep the gun without a round in the chamber, then I strongly suggest you practice other racking methods. What if you have to be holding someone or something? What if you are injured?

I keep mine in that state all the time. It does not cause any damage or ware. Perhaps the structure of the spring will eventually change but I cant find any data on specific metallurgy. Mine shoots as good as new.

im guessing he means the slingshot method. As long as your letting go of the slide at its most rearward position your fine. If your following or assisting the forward motion of the slide you could be damaging the gun or cause it to jam.

The idea is that you push the gun with the strong hand
and hold, or pull, the slide with the weak hand.
Most of the movement to rack the slide is generated by the strong hand, arm.

A very quick search turned this video up - on the surface some might take it as sexist. you have been cautioned.
You can skip t he first 1 mnute

sling shot to me means using 2 fingers to pinch the slide. Like you do to pinch the pouch of a sling shot. I do not recommend this method. But if that is all you can do ... go for it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top