Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Spire Point Bullets in 30-30

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by RVTECH, Nov 12, 2012.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Finally got out yesterday to try this out. Excellent results! The weather was cold with snow on the ground so I picked out some random targets at about 50 yards which were some nice fire blackened small cut off trees about 1.5" in diameter poking up out of the snow. I shot several shots at one and did not see any splintering or movement and thought I was missing it. I walked out to it and saw one trough in the snow behind the stump from the bullets. Looking at the small stump I saw several holes from he bullets. The stump was damp and the bullets were not moving fast enough to expand so they passed clean through like FMJ. I suspect these will do 1" or less on paper benchrested. I also attribute part of the accuracy to the Williams receiver sight I installed so when I go back to standard FP bullets I'll compare and see if the SP bullets were in actuality more accurate.

2. bballer182

bballer182 Molalla Active Member

You actually had them loaded in the tube magazine like that? Or did you load one at a time?

3. RVTECH

One at a time. They were too long to cycle from the tube and I would only have been able to put one in the tube anyway due to the pointed bullets.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

No reason they should not shoot well considering that is the same thing the majority of other .30 cal guns shoot......

5. bballer182

bballer182 Molalla Active Member

OK, figured you did. Just making sure. I figure you to be a smart guy. But you never know these days...:D

6. RVTECH

And considering this is the only .30 caliber rifle I have I needed to do something with the bullets so I might as well send 'em downrange.
    Sure is easier on ammo only being able to load one at a time!

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  7. PAhillbilly3030

PAhillbilly3030 Central PA New Member

Most spire points going up grain scale wont cycle in tublar mag. Plus extremely un-safe. I've seen guys post "why would you want to make a single shot out of a lever gun". Personally i have tried pointed bullets in my Whiny 94. Worked real well, hitting silouette target at 200yds.