JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW, the sourdough cook books I have presuppose that I'll have eggs, milk, etc.

Here's the OLD recipe for sour dough bread using just flour, water, salt and sourdough starter. If you don't have salt, skip it, although I hope you have lots of salt and sugar in your stash already.

1 cup starter, 1 cup water, 1 cup flour. Let rise at room temp (or near the fire) for 12 hours or until double size.

Add 1/2 cup water, 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons salt. Mix together.

Let rise to double size, punch it down, form into loaves (shaped like french bread.)

Let rise again to double, slash the top (like french bread) and bake. It takes about 45 minutes at 400 degrees to bake it, but if you're baking on a flat rock next to a campfire, you'll have some trial and error here. :)

Edit. Oops. That makes two skinny (easier to improvise baking) loaves.

This one looks interesting. Not for a long term SHTF though. It uses instant potato flakes instead of flour.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,164,149169-243200,00.html

This one is more traditional, and the one I think I will start in a couple of days.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,149168-245203,00.html

Two issues there. First, it not the old strain of yeast that's been traditionally used for sourdough. There are thousands of strains of yeast with various characteristics and flavors.

Second, note that the recipe calls for another packet of yeast each time while traditional sourdough recipes don't. In survival mode, you wouldn't have a packet of yeast. ??

With traditional sourdough starter, you can make bread with just flour, water, and starter.

My grandmother had a sour dough start that was given to her in 1967. This start came with a genealogy that was 87 years old and had been started in San Francisco.
Well a year later it had dried out in the small crock my grandmother keep it in.
My ever so helpful mother cleaned the kitchen and murdered the poor thing by washing it down the Drain.

Ummmm..........

All you need to do is mix up a cup a flour and a cup of water.

And leave it sit.

Build it and they will come.

The wild yeast, I mean.

It is that simple.

isher

Time to read the whole thread isher. :) Been there, done that. There are thousands of varieties of yeast, native to different areas and climates. Each has it's particular characteristics and not all are good. By that method, you don't know what you'll get.

Also, the long developed starters have some particular strain of bacteria in them to further feed on and improve the flour, as does the yeast.

It just ain't that simple. :)

Good afternoon, Juist found this site, been doing some reading when I ran accross this thread, back some 10 years ago I had an original start that was about 75 years old, man that stuff was good.

Anyway long story short my then wife found my starter in the fridge and thought it was bad and tossed it...so here is my question is anyone close by that would be willing to pass a small starter my way? I can travel some if needed...if not can someone dry some out and mail to me?

I really would appreciate it...

Thanks Ken

Good afternoon, Juist found this site, been doing some reading when I ran accross this thread, back some 10 years ago I had an original start that was about 75 years old, man that stuff was good.

Anyway long story short my then wife found my starter in the fridge and thought it was bad and tossed it...so here is my question is anyone close by that would be willing to pass a small starter my way? I can travel some if needed...if not can someone dry some out and mail to me?

Thanks Ken

Well, first of all...welcome to the forum.

Go to the new member introductions sections and please post that you're new here. We all want to welcome you!

I live in NE PDX and if you cant find any closer you can PM me and we'll get you some.:s0155:

Will

Time to read the whole thread isher. :) Been there, done that. There are thousands of varieties of yeast, native to different areas and climates. Each has it's particular characteristics and not all are good. By that method, you don't know what you'll get.

Also, the long developed starters have some particular strain of bacteria in them to further feed on and improve the flour, as does the yeast.

It just ain't that simple. :)

Gunner -

Since being introduced in my childhood to a Wyoming starter

Which was born sometime in the 1850's,

One of my favorite on again off again hobbies has been

Mixing a cup of flour and a cup of water

And seeing what results.

It is that simple.

isher

Thanks Ken

Ken-

being new it may be to soon to ask, but if you PM a wrascaly character who goes by Gunner3456. He may surprise you with his answer for your request for a sourgh dough starter.

SF-

Well, first of all...welcome to the forum.

Go to the new member introductions sections and please post that you're new here. We all want to welcome you!

I live in NE PDX and if you cant find any closer you can PM me and we'll get you some.:s0155:

Will

Will, I really appreciate the offer, have already posted in the new member section, I'll send you a PM, perhaps we can meet up over the weekend?

Ken

Thanks Ken

Welcome to the forum for sure, and I have offered to send a jag of my heirloom starter to anyone who PM's me an address. Anyone is welcome. I actually like the idea of lots of people preserving it and keeping it going.

And yes, pouring it out on a cookie sheet and drying it works really well. After that it will keep a long time frozen, too. It doesn't take much to inoculate a cup of flour and a cup of warm water to get a starter going.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top