JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I broke the head off the accessory screw on my Tikka CTR. This is the screw that would hold a forend add on, and not the action screws. I am struggling to find the screw. The screw is not load bearing, and really does not serve a purpose, but having a hold there would drive me nuts. It looks like I am not the first person to do this, but can not seem to find the screw or the specs for the screw. Anyone out there have the specs or a source for the screw?

I broke the head off the accessory screw on my Tikka CTR. This is the screw that would hold a forend add on, and not the action screws. I am struggling to find the screw. The screw is not load bearing, and really does not serve a purpose, but having a hold there would drive me nuts. It looks like I am not the first person to do this, but can not seem to find the screw or the specs for the screw. Anyone out there have the specs or a source for the screw?
I have a .308 T3x CTR…. I'll have a look and see what's what. If yours it a T3 and not a T3x it may not equate though.

Take the broken screw parts to your local ace or similar hardware store and compare against their offerings. They will have thread gauges there to determine the thread pitch, then just look for the right style of screw and then find it in the proper thread pitch and length. Should cost you less than a $1 and just a little bit of time. The key is a store like an ace hardware or similar small town type hardware store as you are unlikely to find what you need at something like Home Depot or Lowes as they don't get into specialty screws/nuts/bolts like the small stores do.

Take the broken screw parts to your local ace or similar hardware store and compare against their offerings. They will have thread gauges there to determine the thread pitch, then just look for the right style of screw and then find it in the proper thread pitch and length. Should cost you less than a $1 and just a little bit of time. The key is a store like an ace hardware or similar small town type hardware store as you are unlikely to find what you need at something like Home Depot or Lowes as they don't get into specialty screws/nuts/bolts like the small stores do.
Unfortunately I twisted the head off while the screw was in the stock. I am not sure if I will be able to get it back out in one chuck, not a pro with the taps and extractors.

Are you able to remove whatever the screw was going through? If so, you can then grab the nub of the screw sticking out with a pair of pliers or vise grips and twist it the rest of the way. I may not being understanding your predicament properly though. Would be helpful to get a couple of pictures showing what you are dealing with.

Unfortunately i can not get a gripmon it from the inside. My neighbor is going to help me tap it and pull it out this weekend. Not sure if it will come out in one chunk though.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Unfortunately i can not get a gripmon it from the inside. My neighbor is going to help me tap it and pull it out this weekend. Not sure if it will come out in one chunk though.

View attachment 1223303 View attachment 1223304 View attachment 1223305
Assuming you get the screw out without damaging the thread (which I assume are part of a metal insert in the stock), take the action out of the stock and go to your local Ace style hardware store and locate the screw you need with stock in hand. Should be a quick and painless affair totaling less than a $1 for the replacement. You will burn more in gas unless you bike or walk there.

If it snapped putting it in, that should come out really easy if thread locker wasn't used and nothing got cross threaded.

Assuming you get the screw out without damaging the thread (which I assume are part of a metal insert in the stock), take the action out of the stock and go to your local Ace style hardware store and locate the screw you need with stock in hand. Should be a quick and painless affair totaling less than a $1 for the replacement. You will burn more in gas unless you bike or walk there.

If it snapped putting it in, that should come out really easy if thread locker wasn't used and nothing got cross threaded.
I will give that a shot. I also just discovered that the thread pitch on the sling swivel is the same as this screw. I am going to take the sling swivel and the sheered off head into the hardware store and see if I can get a match.

I will give that a shot. I also just discovered that the thread pitch on the sling swivel is the same as this screw. I am going to take the sling swivel and the sheered off head into the hardware store and see if I can get a match.
Should be easy to locate, your just looking for a basic countersunk head with a flat top looking at your photos. They should have options for you in black oxide finish and stainless.

Ok, so I got it.

1. Pulled the sling swivel as after further investigation was the same thread pitch.
2. Took the head and the swivel into hard ware store, it was a 5mm course thread. Easy enough!
3. Purchased an EZ out with bit, and a tap handle.
4. Put the drill bit to the broken off screw and as soon as it bit in the screw just backed all the way out, winner winner chicken dinner, no need to fuss with the EZ out. I suppose I threw away $28 in parts, but now I have a new tool.

@upstate88

The best place to find these screws is an ACE Hardware. They have lots of bins for these small black screws. Tried Parkrose Hardware and they didn't carry them. Ask the man in the red vest and they'll show you where they are. Guaranteed to be there

@upstate88

The best place to find these screws is an ACE Hardware. They have lots of bins for these small black screws. Tried Parkrose Hardware and they didn't carry them. Ask the man in the red vest and they'll show you where they are. Guaranteed to be there
I have also found that the staff in an Ace actually understand what they sell and more than once have offered me a better solution once I describe what I need it for. Very unusual these days.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top