JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This bug has been fixed.
I'm curious, what web browser do you use? And are other people here getting those pop-up sound ads like you are? With Safari and Firefox I've never gotten anything more than banners across the top and bottom, and a few sidebar ads. I thought they were actually quite unobtrusive as far as ads go.

I suggest using Adblock plus. There is a menu like this that lets you control what and where:

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-25%20at%204.59.54%20PM_zpsjlvgcmg1.png

I'm curious, what web browser do you use? And are other people here getting those pop-up sound ads like you are? With Safari and Firefox I've never gotten anything more than banners across the top and bottom, and a few sidebar ads. I thought they were actually quite unobtrusive as far as ads go.

I suggest using Adblock plus. There is a menu like this that lets you control what and where:

View attachment 314013
Adblock really screws @Joe Link on site revenue. Bronze Supporter is $30 a year. Leave one or two boxes of ammo on the shelf and you paid for limited ads for an entire year.

Maybe related, or maybe not.

I was trying to view NWFA yesterday when every page I looked at started freezing up within a minute of logging on, and then displaying the Security Alert shown below. Was it from pop-up ads? The NWFA site itself? Couldn't get rid of it fast enough as it kept renewing itself, and it even blocked me from logging off a few times.

Didn't happen on any other visited sites. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be doing it today. Hope I didn't jinx myself right now by saying that...

View attachment 314008

I look at the "View Certificate" to see if it actually for the site (or a site closely related to it) and decide if I'm going to allow the site to load. If it's unknown or not related to the information I'm going for, I just say screw it and go to something else.

elsie

Maybe related, or maybe not.

I was trying to view NWFA yesterday when every page I looked at started freezing up within a minute of logging on, and then displaying the Security Alert shown below. Was it from pop-up ads? The NWFA site itself? Couldn't get rid of it fast enough as it kept renewing itself, and it even blocked me from logging off a few times.

Didn't happen on any other visited sites. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be doing it today. Hope I didn't jinx myself right now by saying that...

View attachment 314008
This just happened to me right now! Pop up blocker begrudgingly installed notwithstanding.

I use Firefox on a Mac with Adblocker. No problems.

I too HATE auto-sound ads. I immediately leave any site that commits that offense. I have not had that issue here, however.

I haven't seen any of these "sound on" ads on this site - I've seen them many other places, but never on NWFA. No problem here.

+1. Even with the standard adblockers I use (Adblock and Ghostery) disabled on the site, I've never seen/heard one with audio. There are a some graphical ads on the right and one between sections, but that is it, and they aren't playing any video/audio.

Adblock really screws @Joe Link on site revenue. Bronze Supporter is $30 a year. Leave one or two boxes of ammo on the shelf and you paid for limited ads for an entire year.

Since I refuse to buy anything that any pop-up ad is selling anyhow, how is my adblocker possibly hurting Joe?

I recall buying the Bronze support years ago--I was banned for the first time shortly thereafter,
which pissed me off beyond words

If every member made donations and supported the sight financially, maybe the ads wouldn't be as necessary.... It takes money to run and maintain this sight.
@thorborg, maybe you should become a supporting member?

Our website cost around $200 a year.I call BS on needing the ADD's.

If you want to monitze it go ahead look what happened to sturmgewehr.com .1000+ add's a week down to maybe 200 a month from people that now have to pay.Versus $1000's of dollars donated monthly.
A buttload of traffic + Donation's now gone=less money.Period

Couple of things...

If you're still running adobe flash, go uninstall that crap right now. It's 2016, HTML5 has been around for years at this point. The only people who still want you running flash are ad networks and botnet operators.

Definitely definitely install ABP or a similar ad blocker. You can limit it's function on this site, or you can leave it on, I totally get why you would.

If you can, sponsor the site. More donations to the site means less ads, at least I would hope it would.

If you want to monitze it go ahead look what happened to sturmgewehr.com .1000+ add's a week down to maybe 200 a month from people that now have to pay.Versus $1000's of dollars donated monthly.

You don't know what it costs to run this website - the fact that yours costs $200 is irrelevant. Apples vs oranges. @Joe Link has even shared the costs of this site, which include not just servers/hosting, but also software support and development.

Honestly, if folks are so worked up over a very small number of ads compared to many other sites, then start your own, get up to 35,000+ members and see if you can do it for $200 per year. Otherwise, why b!tch about a site that's free to you unless you choose to support it?

You don't know what it costs to run this website - the fact that yours costs $200 is irrelevant. Apples vs oranges. @Joe Link has even shared the costs of this site, which include not just servers/hosting, but also software support and development.

Honestly, if folks are so worked up over a very small number of ads compared to many other sites, then start your own, get up to 35,000+ members and see if you can do it for $200 per year. Otherwise, why b!tch about a site that's free to you unless you choose to support it?

I agree, I ran a small website about a certain brand of vintage surfboards. It cost me about $25 a month, and It was pretty simple. Sure cheaper web hosting was available but it also didn't have 100% uptime.

I'm running IE-11 and have absolutely no problems with pop-ups on this site. None. Not one pop up.

I agree, I'd start checking your settings. It very well may be on your end.

I'm running IE-11 and have absolutely no problems with pop-ups on this site. None. Not one pop up.

I agree, I'd start checking your settings. It very well may be on your end.
Gold support hides all adds. I don't mind supporting the site and hiding all the adds.

@ theFRU
"Our website cost around $200 a year.I call BS on needing the ADD's."

Facebook doesn't count as a website:p

I wasn't aware there were *any* pop-up ads on NWFA (@Joe Link ?)

@Who The F R U i'm afraid a forum with heavy traffic doesn't compare to a basic HTML based site with outsourced hosting, that $200 sounds about right, but it won't happen for something that requires licensing, data throughput and backend DB hosting, cost-wise.

A lot of sites have video that plays automatically. I always have my speakers on mute and turn them on when I actually want to watch one. I rarely click on any ads, popup or otherwise.

Versus $1000's of dollars donated monthly.
less than 10% of the memberships will donate on sites like this, additionally its the same 10% THAT DONATE EACH AND EVERY TIME....... then people that run these forums feel like they are picking the pocket of the same people over and over trying to keep the doors open...ask me how I know!

unless you have a forum with 50,000 members & multiple data bases you really cant compare your website to this NO CONTEST

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top