JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello from Virginia. I'm going to be moving to the Olympia area of WA this summer and was told that this forum is a great source of information. I've been shooting for years, but just recently got into the competition scene. I'm going to be shooting a mix of USPSA and 3-gun and any help with finding the best matches in the area would be much appreciated.
You can see a list of USPCA in WasHinton here Find a local club - USPSA.ORG

* And other stuff, I'm not remembering. But there's more bad details...
Wow can you be anymore negative?:eek: OK We get it you hate Washington state. I think you are pilling on here.
Not everything here is doom and gloom. :confused:
I say that not to be pessimistic but anyone making a MAJOR life move across country needs to have an honest appraisal of the atmospherics on the ground.
Your post is dripping with pessimism. Honest appraisal? o_O
I just fled Washington
Good for you. I have lived here for 62 years. A lot of good pro gun people I shoot matches with here. One of the best IDPA clubs is Seattle Firearms Academy.
Shooting ranges are scarce, and many have really stupid rules (such as only 1 round in the gun at a time, or only 8 rounds at a time, or no rapid fire, or no humanoid targets, etc.), and very little convenient public land to shoot on. You have to drive a long way or own land to find a natural shooting environment.
Sounds like Kenmore Range. Only range I have ever seen do this?
I lot of great ranges to shoot at here. Paul Bunyan great club for IDPA and they have a 600 yard rifle range.:D
In short, WA is a depressing state of affairs for a gun owner and enthusiast.
Your post is depressing. :(
Welcome to the great State of Washington from the 'Couv'.:D:):p

Last Edited:
:s0114: I can tell I'm going to like this forum! Thanks for all the responses. I look forward to picking your guy's brains as I get closer to moving out and hopefully shooting with some of you in the future.

Oregon does not and has its own "may issue" permit system only good for Oregon
OR is "shall issue" on CHLs and honored in 26 states... even VA (for now). Compared to WA CPL which has reciprocity with 28 states.

BTW, @Bad_karma, my sister lives in Round Hill and mt Dad is in Winchester... I'll be heading out there for a wedding in March. Such a pretty state with amazing history everywhere you go. I love my visits... HATE the flight.

Last Edited:
Wow can you be anymore negative?:eek: OK We get it you hate Washington state. I think you are pilling on here.
Not everything here is doom and gloom. :confused:

Your post is dripping with pessimism. Honest appraisal? o_O

Good for you. I have lived here for 62 years. A lot of good pro gun people I shoot matches with here. One of the best IDPA clubs is Seattle Firearms Academy.
Sounds like Kenmore Range. Only range I have ever seen do this?
I lot of great ranges to shoot at here. Paul Bunyan great club for IDPA and they have a 600 yard rifle range.:D

Your post is depressing. :(
Welcome to the great State of Washington from the 'Couv'.:D:):p

OP, disregard these two inaccurate posts. You're not getting accurate information. My post is REALITY. Nobody with an honest view of a passion of firearms would find Washington's laws or anti-gun views or circumstances, or the current political climate favorable in any material way. And it's getting and will get much worse.

It's a CHALLENGE to find a good outdoor shooting location there, and dishonest to claim otherwise. Paul Bunyan is the best range in probably 50 miles from Pierce County. Excellent facilities with dumb policies. Ignore the poster who lives in VANCOUVER which is 2 hours away. I lived 5 minutes from Paul Bunyan where I was a member for many years. The range has really FUD rules. 8 rounds maximum in your gun, no rapid fire, no firing from the draw, and no human silhouette targets. So basically no self defense training with actual tools you'd use in self defense like testing your 9+ round mags. And yes, they will lecture you and can pull your membership. I've been lectured because they watch you and if you fire more than 8 rounds, you get a lecture. Same with human targets. Lectured. And the 600 round range is only in theory. Never heard of anyone actually using it. It's set up to fire over all the ranges (it's in a valley) and so must be scheduled in advance, by appointment, and other hoops to shut down all the ranges. They do have ISPC or similar matches, I think 1 per month or quarter. $20 per match. Good facilities. Finally, the memberships were backlogged to my memory, and may be wait-listed. About $100 annually, which is reasonable. It's very crowded on weekends, and their online calendar reflects that it's booked regularly for special events so always check before you go.

Seattle is hardly convenient for anyone outside of Seattle. Traffic is a nightmare, so it could have the best IDPA it the galaxy, and I would hesitate to fight Seattle traffic to participate.

OR is "shall issue" on CHLs and honored in 26 states... even VA (for now). Compared to WA CPL which has reciprocity with 28 states.
I assume the OP is going to be a non-Oregon-resident. So he will only be eligible for a "MAY ISSUE" permit, have to provide justification, and drive deep into Oregon. My post was accurate.

Oregon is a "MAY ISSUE" state for non-residents and only done in limited numbers of counties. I've had their permit. What that means is you have to provide them a valid reason for needing the permit. It's a hassle to boot because of the permit process and it is only done in person. So what that means for anyone deep in Washington is a full day trip, long drive and recommended by appointment, in addition to other hurdles.

So without a Oregon permit, you're locked on 3 sides - the Pacific, Canada, and Oregon. Taking just the land areas, you can't travel north with any firearms or ammo, and you can only open carry to the south without an OR carry permit. Idaho will welcome you with open arms!

It's not fair or honest to the OP to try to sugar coat what is occurring in WA or OR. These states rank near last in firearms ownership rights in the nation and are competing for the worst spots... OP needs honest and fair information. Not "I've been here my whole life and it's roses..."

Washington certainly has its challenges, but it is nowhere near as bad as other states and nowhere near as good as yet others. The key is getting involved to prevent or mitigate the ongoing political battle.

Washington certainly has its challenges, but it is nowhere near as bad as other states and nowhere near as good as yet others. The key is getting involved to prevent or mitigate the ongoing political battle.

Give it about 2-3 years at the current and seemingly unstoppable pace... WA gun owners are on the verge of losing ownership of (new) 'assault weapons' and 'high capacity' magazines. And red flag laws are clearly going to be weaponized, if not already... I won't be surprised when the anti-gun powers take away concealed carry or make it "may issue" with stringent requirements and high fees. They've already stricken at least one or more states from reciprocity (Florida, maybe others).

I can see no end in sight. WA voters have demonstrated appalling anti-gun attitudes and apathy with poor turnout. While the efforts of the pro-gun community are to be commended, it's just not enough. To compare, pro-gun rallies in WA and VA occurred within the same month over the same essential issues. WA turnout was maybe 500 people. VA turnout was north of 20,000 with some estimates doubling that figure...

About the only hope is that Trump has flipped the 9th circuit so maybe there is a chance for these left coast states to rescue freedom and gun ownership from the jaws of tyranny at some point down the road, after expensive and time consuming lawsuits that might go in favor of gun rights. To my recollection there are many in the pipeline ripe for being argued and decided, and there will assuredly be many more.

I disagree with any assessment other than dire and dismal for WA gun owners...

OP: …" but they are in the middle of passing a bunch of anti-gun laws. Looking at banning AR's and high cap mags. Tried to pass a gun confiscation bill, but thankfully it didn't pass, for now.
That's a pretty good description of what's going on here & now.

I moved here from the DPRK to escape the Dems and the never ending Putsch to destroy RKBA. Now it's happening here and I can't move to escape.
Closest to living in the South was 3 years in TX. Loved it.
You will find that the people here are not as friendly as you are used to.
You will not see the sun for days. When we moved to TX I wondered what that great flaming ball in the sky was.
Despite the fact that it rains a lot, everybody forgets how to drive in the wet after every dry (relatively) spell.
They arrived @ 300 sunny days a year by defining a sunny day as one in which you can see any piece of blue sky subtending 1 deg. of angle for 10 minutes or there is enough sunlight to cast a shadow.
Welcome to the Great Pacific Northwest! This site is a great place to come for help.

I have been a member of the Capital City Rifle and Pistol Club for eleven plus years. We are about seven miles south of Olympia just off the Black River between Little Rock and Rochester on Little Rock road. There are three pistol ranges, a hi-power range for rifles to two hundred yards, a blackpowder and rimfire range and an indoor range. As an adjunct Capitol City Bowmen have a range on the same property. See ccrpclub.org for more precise information. Good, easy to get along with people. Welcome to Washington. Tom

I have been a member of the Capital City Rifle and Pistol Club for eleven plus years. We are about seven miles south of Olympia just off the Black River between Little Rock and Rochester on Little Rock road. There are three pistol ranges, a hi-power range for rifles to two hundred yards, a blackpowder and rimfire range and an indoor range. As an adjunct Capitol City Bowmen have a range on the same property. See ccrpclub.org for more precise information. Good, easy to get along with people. Welcome to Washington. Tom
A friend of mine recommended this range as well. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks Tom

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top