JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
This is a savage model 340a bolt action 30-30 in really nice shape. It is a pre 1968 savage and I have 2 clips for it. It has a williams peep sight on back as well as the original sights. The bluing is nice and the stock is nice with less than normal wear for its age. the bolt face and lands and grooves in the barrel look very nice. Must have been shot very little. I would like to trade this rifle off for something different TRADE FOR PISTOL or sell for 400.00 No shipping and I live in Salem.

6EE7B3B4-A08C-4890-83C3-87623BF4BCD6.jpg

8E9E4E50-1102-4094-94DA-9D1980249BA8.jpg

077EF2C5-D2C5-45D6-B646-F5EEBD9C14F0.jpg

172587F1-A4DF-45D4-91A6-2501C21C7FC7.jpg

nope your thinking of the model b and after. They didnt start cutting the stock on the left side to accomidate a scope rail untill around 1976. This is a model A 50's-60's

Precisely the reason behind my asking! I have an old one too in fine shape, and it has the originally supplied Lyman #40 receiver sight (kind of an intricate, extends to the rear affair). These old 340's are more gun than people give them credit for. With some minor tweaking, and understanding of the barrel band, without exception, all have been marvelous shooters. I have a Hornet (late model deluxe), and a .222 (and the non-scoped .30-30). Probably 3 or 4 other .30-30's (drilled for scope) have passed through my hands in recent years, but everytime I get one, some kid and dad show up looking for a first deer rifle. I can't turn them down, and so the .30-30's go to happy new hunters.

A much better first deer rifle than say, a '94, since they can be scoped, and pointy bullets can be used, moderately increasing long range effectiveness. Always more accurate than any '94 (even with iron sights). Savage's reputation for good barrels extends to these guns. The massive recoil lug makes a Remington 700's lug look like a wimp. The last one I sold has already accounted for 4 elk and two deer by a young man who is luckier in the field (or apparently a better hunter) than his dad.

I am curious (but not critical) of your pricing. I believe these "untouched" (not scope-drilled) 340's are somewhat unusual, especially in good shape, since by and large, they saw heavy use and/or long time in truck gun racks. I explored whether or not Savage collectors were interested in nice ones, (seeking a valuation on mine) but got no significant results. Truthfully, I think you are spot-on with your asking price, and a Savage collector interested in these guns would be the target buyer for one in fine condition as is yours. I don't need two, or we'd be talking a bit more seriously.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.