JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Saginaw S'G' M1 Carbine

The older gentleman I bought this from told me he had carried this rifle through WW2, Korea and part of the Vietnam war. Is it true? No idea, but it IS a cool story.
Round count unknown. I personally fired 30 rounds, cleaned it, and put it away.
Beautiful wood on this rifle.
Comes with 8 15 round magazines (3 NIW), sling and oiler, M4 bayonet with M8 sheath.
Also includes 500 new, primed brass.

$1000
gold and silver accepted

25fiuxk.jpg
2pq2ih5.jpg
k0s3d.jpg

Older gentleman lied to you.

Whats the date on the barrel (just behind the front sight on top of the barrel)?

Whats the importers name stamped on the bottom of the barrel?

Does this have the letter P stamped into the stock just behind the trigger gaurd?

What letters are stamped into the sling relief on the left side of the stock?

Are their any stamps on the left side of the stock just below and to the rear of the rear sight? If so what are they

The stock doesn't look right has it been refinished or is it a replacement?

"The M1 carbine was modified from its original design to incorporate a bayonet lug, due to requests from the field. Very few carbines with bayonet lugs reached the front lines before the end of World War II. This modification was made to nearly all carbines during arsenal rebuild following World War II.
By the time the Korean War began, the bayonet-equipped M1 was standard issue. It is now rare to find a non bayonet lug-equipped original M1 carbine. The lug mounted the standard M4 bayonet, which was based on the M3 knife and formed the basis for the later M6 and M7 bayonet-knives".

Buy the gun, not the story.

Older gentleman lied to you.

Whats the date on the barrel (just behind the front sight on top of the barrel)?

No date on Barrel, just stamped "Saginaw S.G. Div. General Motors" next to the front sight, and a "P" farther up the barrel.

Whats the importers name stamped on the bottom of the barrel?

No import markings

Does this have the letter P stamped into the stock just behind the trigger gaurd?

What letters are stamped into the sling relief on the left side of the stock?

Are their any stamps on the left side of the stock just below and to the rear of the rear sight? If so what are they

The stock doesn't look right has it been refinished or is it a replacement?

I cannot find any markings on the stock at all. What about the stock "doesn't look right?
What markings I could find are as follows:
Barrel band: MMQ
Bayo lug: EMQ
Trigger group: 3
Hammer: W.I.
Rear sight I.R. CO

With no stamps on the stock it is most likely a repro stock.
The stock looks like Birch that has been creatively stained to try to make it look better.

No date on the barrel???? Ok thats possible

This brings up a couple new questions. What brand name is on the rear of the receiver just under the rear sight? Does this also say Saginaw? And what is the serial number?

I been studying Carbines since I gave my freshman english speach on how to field strip and clean an M1 carbine. About 40 years ago.

Mark, I'm struggling to say this politely...
First, creatively stained? Seriously?
If you've been studying Carbines for 40 years, you'd certainly know that Saginaw did not date mark many of their barrels.
As stated above, it's a Saginaw. To the best of my knowledge every single firearm manufactured in this century, and possibly since the beginning of time, has the manufacturers name on the receiver.
3.4 mil. serial number indicates 1943.

Both your comments have included assumptions and errors, and I'll thank you not to comment further in my for sale ad.
If you have a question, feel free to PM me.

is it a collector? probably not. or a shooter? definitely! are you asking collector money for a shooter? maybe

the stock is definitely not in the original finish, if unmarked not original wood.

I own many 30 carbines. I allso own and have read the book War Baby. One man's bodie of study on the 30 carbine. I enjoy looking at these guns. I try to let them tell me what they are. The burden of proof is allways on the gun. I dont make up a reason for something missing. And won't explain away something there. Problem is a small mark, or maybe a date on the barrel can change the value of a gun buy many thousands of dollars. In this case we have a nice shooter/mix-master. That prety much sets the sale price range. And as was said above ''I don't need no stinkin stamp to have a good shooter''! Only a import stamp or damage/wear should affect the price of this gun. As we are dealing with a shooter. As for the refinished stock? Most nice looking mix-master/shooters are.
Now to your 30 carbine. I think Mark is right that the stock is birtch. And stained so the more open pore area of the wood has taken the stain. Birch is a fantastic wood for stocks. And dose not reflect negitivly on the gun in my view. I have an IBM gun with FAT stamped birch stock. Bought it through CMP. It's not half the looker yours is. You can see the diferance in dencety of wood grain in the birch.
CMP only has carbines for sale at auction. So the day's of cheep 30 carbines [and maybe M1 Garands soon] could be over. Get them while you can!

Medic, that dark parkerizing is gorgeous!

For those that question the value I've placed on my rifle, lets look at my pricing:
8-15 rounds mags: $100, and I challenge you to find damn near any IN STOCK and AVAILABLE mags at ~$12 each.
M4 bayonet: $50 (I paid $85 for it)
500 New primed brass: $160 (via Graf & Sons, and out of stock)
grand total :$310, which leaves $690 for the rifle itself.
Find me a another Saginaw for that price. Find me ANY WW2 M1 carbine, in shootable condition, at anything near that price.

Unfortunately, this is no longer the 80's when M1's could be had all day long for $125.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.