JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
okay so after digging thru many of those campfire posts I found one that was of major concern for the majority of us here that carry a defensive handgun. one post (again I do not know if this is fact) stated it was illegal to carry hollow point expanding type bullets in a .45 caliber. Also I understood it to read that any expanding type bullet was illegal to carry because it was considered excessive force. can anyone here find the actual carry laws regarding ammunition.

Not sure on the laws, but I've voluntarily surrendered my weapon to numerous Sheriff's and one Hillsboro officer. Never have any of them said anything about the JHP's after unloading it themselves.

Out of a 1911.

So it's nothing to worry about, I assume.

okay so after digging thru many of those campfire posts I found one that was of major concern for the majority of us here that carry a defensive handgun. one post (again I do not know if this is fact) stated it was illegal to carry hollow point expanding type bullets in a .45 caliber. Also I understood it to read that any expanding type bullet was illegal to carry because it was considered excessive force. can anyone here find the actual carry laws regarding ammunition.

There aren't any laws against SD HP's at least in the US. Lethal force is lethal force. Its a liberal lawyer's old wives tale. It might have been proposed when the first high speed JHP's came out in the SuperVel's when all the other anti-gun crap started in the late '60's and early 70's. When the cops started carrying HP's, the "crisis" was over. John Ross had an article on the subject several years ago but its not in his current archives.

I'm not a lawyer but you can pose the question here and get a gun friendly lawyer's perspective on it.

ETA: SuperVel and more.

There aren't any laws against SD HP's at least in the US.

Correct in our Northwest, but not correct for the entire United States. From New Jersey state statutes:

Possession and Transportation of Hollow Point Ammo In NJ
Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This
exception provides that:
(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the
place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].
Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities
pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).
Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:
1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."
As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." N.J.S.A 2C:39-6g.

In your house, dwelling, at the range and from / to. On the street loaded for SD is a no-no. Contrary to some beliefs, New Jersey is in the United States. :D

Pops

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads