JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No kidding. We've been advertising an internship at my work for a few months now. Typical response: student emails us saying that they're interested. Great - fill out the application, send us your resume, cover letter, and two references (like it says in the listing). Then, we never hear from the student again....

No kidding. We've been advertising an internship at my work for a few months now. Typical response: student emails us saying that they're interested. Great - fill out the application, send us your resume, cover letter, and two references (like it says in the listing). Then, we never hear from the student again....

Too bad, doing all that resume stuff probably sounds too much llike a real job. Maybe a decent handout is all students need today :rolleyes:

Too bad, doing all that resume stuff probably sounds too much llike a real job. Maybe a decent handout is all students need today :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think that some of these kids (and, I hesitate to use that term, because they are legally adults) have never filled out an application in their lives. It's my guess that mom and dad filled out all the paperwork for them throughout life - they just showed up to get the trophy.

Need a weekend job? >.>

:D

LMAO... I've be working 16 hour days M-F, ALMOST had to work yesterday... just got home today (Sunday) after 5 hours of DOUBLE TIME pay, which puts me OVER halfway to 5 figures A WEEK... actually what I may need is a good Tax accountant to fend off Uncle Obama and friends! So no weekend job for me... I no longer have "weekends" as we know it.

But I still keep that resume in the chamber... you just never know!

:D

depends on the position, the industry... but resumes are growing pretty archaic in some respects. i've never asked for one, and i've never read one if handed to me. first of all, they're usually so bad, i don't want a stupid thing like that to taint my opinion of an otherwise skilled carpenter. likewise, when i've been slow, if asked for a resume, i've generally just kept looking- if there's that much fat hanging off the belly, it's a company i don't want to work for anyway.

but i have no idea what industry you're in, OP.

but i have no idea what industry you're in, OP.

There are a few around here who know who I am.

Otherwise, short answer..

We need a clear, concise, resume before the person will be considered. We've had some dropped off and emailed in, that are plain awful. Some haven't had a spell check run on them by the looks of it.

If someone cannot put in the measly time and effort to write up a simple resume without mistakes, you have no business being in my office.

Edit : For example.

"Proficient in the following software : Windows, Micro Excel......"

I have no idea what "Micro Excel" is, however if the person can't even type out Microsoft Windows, or Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. They do not possess the required attention to detail that the position requires, let alone the software skills they claim to have.

Sounds like a great opportunity, I want to apply but I can't start before 2 PM on Sat 'cause I have my Call of Duty league Friday nights, can I just tell you my qualifications or do you need like references and junk??? Sundays are my football days, so if I could get off early on Sat to get the tailgate stuff ready..........Could I work the weekend job during the week? :huh::s0114:

What I fail to understand is why someone would go take the required UA KNOWING they will test positive. It happens with prospective hires for us. Also I am appalled at the appearance of some people who show up looking for a job. I am beginning to reconsider the whole unemployment 'crisis' and wonder if the numbers more accurately reflect those who choose not to work as opposed to those who are legitimately unemployed.

Not sure what kind of jobs you guys are advertising or offering, but every position I had to fill in the past few years involved receiving dozens and dozens of resumes for each position. I had to start just throwing them away.

I'm in IT and even though I've been in my current place of employ for over 5 years, I have an updated copy on file for emergencies. Any classes I've taken during the year, any changes in position or responsibilities gets added. But I'm in a somwhat volatile industry where being outsourced happens from time to time. I prefer the proactive approach to things rather then reactive.

I've had to look through my share of resumes, and when you have a stack of 40 to 50 of them, something as simple as multiple typos or poor formatting will get you moved to the trash pile. One of the things that is important in my industry is attention to detail. If you can't display that in something as important as a resume, then I doubt you'll display it once hired.

Two things about some young people, and all people for that matter. We all have different talents, and you can't judge a book by its cover.

I have a nephew who's in his late 20's. He can't write. I mean, it's atrocious. But he's a fabulous, hard working artist who does 3D motion work for video games for high pay. Some are famous although I don't keep up with them. I edit his website text for him, but he can and did do this, and will work all night getting it done.

Mind you, these all move, can be seen from all angles, get shot at, explode, etc. Maybe some younger folks will recognize these.

Design:

j1.jpg

Finish:

j2.jpg

Design:

j3.jpg

Finish:

j4.jpg

Artists send in their portfolio so you can judge their skill and creativity. I don't imagine his resume would be as important for a job in his field.

I unfortunately don't have an artistic bone in my body, so I have to be able to write a solid resume. ;)

Artists send in their portfolio so you can judge their skill and creativity. I don't imagine his resume would be as important for a job in his field.

I unfortunately don't have an artistic bone in my body, so I have to be able to write a solid resume. ;)

Somehow this guy has a four year degree in this stuff. I mean from a liberal arts university where you'd think he'd have to write in at least some of his classes, but he can't. That degree would go on a resume. I suspect he has his resumes done professionally (I hope) but if you asked him to write something, you'd think he was stupid.

Somehow this guy has a four year degree in this stuff. I mean from a liberal arts university where you'd think he'd have to write in at least some of his classes, but he can't. That degree would go on a resume. I suspect he has his resumes done professionally (I hope) but if you asked him to write something, you'd think he was stupid.

In many liberal arts colleges participation in discussions and seminars is more important than actual assigned essays and reading assignments. There were classmates of mine who never bothered to read any assigned texts, and never completed essays knowing they could bs their way through discussions. I'm not saying that's what your nephew did, since its obvious he has some real talent, I'm just pointing out that most liberal arts schools seem to value communication skills over everything else.

In many liberal arts colleges participation in discussions and seminars is more important than actual assigned essays and reading assignments. There were classmates of mine who never bothered to read any assigned texts, and never completed essays knowing they could bs their way through discussions. I'm not saying that's what your nephew did, since its obvious he has some real talent, I'm just pointing out that most liberal arts schools seem to value communication skills over everything else.
I get what you are saying. The English major in me would insist on pointing out that writing is communication. At my job the best way to get back to work when confronted by a job seeker is to ask for a resume. Poof, they just disappear.

I get what you are saying. The English major in me would insist on pointing out that writing is communication. At my job the best way to get back to work when confronted by a job seeker is to ask for a resume. Poof, they just disappear.

It is communication but for some reason its put on the backburner in favor of verbal communication skills.
As far as the resume is concerned, in all honesty I can't remember one class where writing a resume was required. The closest I ever came to writing one was during a keyboarding exercise in my first quarter of college at my CC, and the word resume never ever came up at Evergreen. When it came time for me to write my resume it was pretty damned hard, so I can sympathize with those who lack that needed skill.

As a prior career transition coach for civilian and military people in all professional endeavors, I never met anyone who didn't benefit from a second set of eyeballs on their resume(s), cover letter, federal KSAO sheet, convoluted online application, calling card, etc. Some were super literate, some not so much. Nothing wrong with getting a little help putting your best foot forward on paper, no matter what sort of gig you're seeking. Once you've left (to go search out more leads), it should still convey to the reader your stability, relevance and actual interest in the job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top