Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

So today....

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by tacticalgunner, Oct 6, 2013.

1. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

So today I went to the range and brought a friend. We unloaded the truck and he pulls out a Hi-point 995 carbine. So with my limited knowledge of the rifle, I made fun of him. Hi-point is my mind has been worthless, never owned one, never desired to......maybe until today. So he runs that rifle in 3 gun tactical matches, apparently a lot of them do. So after he gave me the "it ain't a typical Hi-point speech, I tried it out, wow, what a fun rifle for the price, he paid 280 for it a while back and he was telling me it eats anything, with not one issue. I know I will hear the typical it's crap gun, but my first impression was much more than I expected. It's ugly,but it was fun to shot!

2. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

My wife has one.....she brought it home one day and I nearly threw up at the sight of it. Its hideous.
    Let me tell you, its really fun to shoot. Its pretty accurate, the sights are decent and like you said, no problem with any ammo of any kind. They are uber-ugly. But for under $300, I might end up getting another one just for kicks.

3. Oklahomie

Oklahomie Marysville Active Member

I hear wonderful things about the carbines, the pistols however seem to catch nothing by flak. They are big, bulky, ugly things and it looks like they use a paint brush to apply the finish on the barrels.

4. tacticalgunner

What threw me was it had the last round lock open, I heard before all there guns did not have it, this one did.
    Now I don't love the 10 round mag, but whatev, I hear they are hard to find so I don't know, for 3 bills I might be a buyer since I have better luck finding 9 ammo than .22.

5. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

My wife's stays open after the last round as well....I had to think about it for minute to remember. Yeah, the 10 round mags suck. I have seen some of the larger capacity ones, but haven't pulled the trigger ( pardon the pun) . If you go on YouTube, Nutnfancy has a pretty good run and gun/ tabletop review of the Hi-Point Carbine. Check it out.

6. tacticalgunner

I just previewed a bit of it, we'll he loves it! Might drop some cash this week if I can find one. Maybe I can airbrush the stock camo or some tiger stripped....no, that will make it look worse. I don't know, does it have to be pretty to be totally functional? Wait, I can answer that question:
    Hillary Clinton------->ugly------=useless! answered my own question lol

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

8. tacticalgunner

Just looked at the website for ATI, appears they don't make that anymore

9. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

That is a shame, it makes it look and feel like a decent gun.

10. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had one, sold it to someone on this here forum. Never had any trouble. Just didn't shoot it enough. It is a good home gun.

There are other PCC out there. One feature I might like is to match the magazines I already own. For example, get one which
    takes Glock mags - 33rd are available. Swap with your pistol.

Also, I recommend replacing the trigger.

11. Barachiah

Barachiah Eastern Oregon at last Active Member

I had one in ACP, it was ugly as bubblegume. But it did shoot very well, and was just as accurate as my Camp 45. It got traded off for bigger and better, but I'd buy another for sure.

12. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

I felt the same way as the OP. I only wish they had better magazines or used Glock mags instead of the propietary single stack mags it comes with.

13. tacticalgunner

So just an update, I bought one, it don't understand the pricing scheme but whatever.....I got the rifle, 3 mags for 329, (pro comp package?) now, I could have got the basic package with same rifle and one mag for 319. Hmmmmmm. So I got to the range, slapped a red dot on it and installed the charging handle, not in love with the left side charge but whatever, shot good, so in time we will see. Like it so far.

14. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Love em or hate em. I have 1000's of firearms in my bound book for repairs. Not one of them is a Hi Point !