JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here's the deal I live in Silverton I was born in Silverton I own my house out right in Silverton My grand kids live in Silverton My mom who I look after lives in Silverton. My Job (at least for the next year and a half until we retire) is in Salem a quick 20 min drive. The wifes job is in Silverton a 4 min drive.

I'm staying in Silverton.

If this divide the sate and send the Eastern part to Idaho happens. Then what the rest of us are just totally screwed under total Jackboot Democrat control? Oh you say well just move. If I wanted to move I wouldn't have bought my house here in the first place granted as I paid $47,500 for my house and could sell it for $400,000+ I would sure have the money to move pretty sure housing is cheaper in Burns.

Not a big fan of dividing up Oregon.

Rant off.

These secessionist dreams are just that, dreams. In order for it to happen you have to have the legislatures in both states and the US Congress all vote in favor of it and none of them have any reason to. What does the Oregon legislature care if you aren't happy?? What does Idaho gain by it?? And the US Congress says, "Where's Oregon??"
While I agree the eastern portions of Washington and Oregon get the political shaft on a regular basis, any effort put towards separation is just pissing in the wind. The fault lies with the people who established the Senate districts as the same as the house districts rather than following the Federal model and allotting senators by county. 49 of the fifty states failed in the exact same way (Nebraska is different but not better).

The fault lies with the people who established the Senate districts as the same as the house districts rather than following the Federal model and allotting senators by county. 49 of the fifty states failed in the exact same way (Nebraska is different but not better).
It goes all the way back to "land doesn't vote. People do" :rolleyes: edit. There's been a lot of talk somewhere about getting the Senate to be based on how populous a State is...... usually by the same people who thinks California having 54 Representatives is good, but only 2 Senators the same as Wyoming is bad :rolleyes:

Edit #2. My personal belief though... the Congress is artificially kept small with huge Staff, at the same number of Representatives as set forth in 1910 and doesn't follow the requirement of growing the House of Representatives to fit the Population which has more than tripled, maybe quadrupled since 1910.... so, at the most basic, increasing the House number by 3 I would say is more fair.. yes that means 435×3 to make 1,305 Representatives.

I would be tickled if it was divided and we would move to the former "eastern OR"/new "west Idaho" as soon as we possibly could. I can't imagine anything better for the state of OR.

Having said that, I don't think it will happen unfortunately.

Edit #2. My personal belief though... the Congress is artificially kept small with huge Staff, at the same number of Representatives as set forth in 1910 and doesn't follow the requirement of growing the House of Representatives to fit the Population which has more than tripled, maybe quadrupled since 1910.... so, at the most basic, increasing the House number by 3 I would say is more fair.. yes that means 435×3 to make 1,305 Representatives.
Reapportionment is better than expansion. The Constitution was amended precisely because expansion became unwieldy and impractical. It would be outrageously expensive to expand the HR as you suggest. Salaries and benefits for all those reps and staffers, office space, pensions for life for 3X as many, some serving as few as 2 years? No thank you. More power concentrated in the states with highest immigration. Think about it. The HR is a circus as it is with 435. Let's not make it 3X as bad, please.

Not a big fan of dividing up Oregon.
So, nothing would change for you, but others would be free from leftist oppression.
These secessionist dreams are just that, dreams.
I agree - it's not likely to happen. But maybe working towards it will send some kind of message to someone. Maybe.
What does Idaho gain by it??
Perhaps a more conservatively oriented population to balance (outweigh) the increasingly left-wing immigration from other states that native Idahoans complain about? Increased tax revenue (precisely why Oregon won't let go).

Won't happen, but it would pave the way for Jackson, Josephine and Curry counties (and maybe Douglas and Coos as well) to join the N. Calif. counties in formation of the State of Jefferson. Go secessionists!

(An old man is allowed to dream) :s0067:

Reapportionment is better than expansion. The Constitution was amended precisely because expansion became unwieldy and impractical. It would be outrageously expensive to expand the HR as you suggest. Salaries and benefits for all those reps and staffers, office space, pensions for life for 3X as many, some serving as few as 2 years? No thank you. More power concentrated in the states with highest immigration. Think about it. The HR is a circus as it is with 435. Let's not make it 3X as bad, please.
Cut the staff that's unnecessarily huge.

Technically possible. Never going to happen in my lifetime nor that of my offspring. On the current timeline, it is even possible one of said could be on the lunar colony, but Oregon still under Salem's looney-toons. Dig the effort though.

P.S. @Cavedweller you're on to something there. What they can't pass, they can't screw up. Sounds like a delight. :s0155:

If you cut the staff who will write the BS propaganda the politicans spew. The head jackass is speaking right now.

The pleasures of living in Oregon are only an echo of what they 50+ years ago when I first got here.

Just last night was thinking about if and where in Western Idaho I could/would relocate.

It would have to have lots of flowing water.......

But it's probably just a pipe dream....the leftist perverts in Salem need to feed on our labor, on what we create and our wealth.

I'm a believer in abolishing much of the Federal agencies;
Paring down the number of staff per Congress person if triple the House of Reps in size; and a return to what I believe were the jobs of the Federal government as started..

The job of Congress was not to write 10000s of pages of new laws but to protect the Rights of the People... to pass budgets, to control military, to protect national interests..

The job of Supreme Court is to make sure the States protect the Peoples' Rights... and to ensure Congress is held to the same standards...

The Executive Branch's job was to project National power, to give suggestions, to declare war and raise Militias, and ensure a standard that follows the Constitutional Rights...

Of course none of that is in force as can be seen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top