Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

So it begins...

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by nathanh, Jan 24, 2009.

1. nathanh

nathanh Vancouver, WA Member

Front and center on cnn.com right now is this headline: "Gunman used AK-47 to fire on crowd, police say".

I think we will continue to see this kind of thing in the news as a way of giving Barrack Obama a way to say he is giving the people what they want.

"These are weapons of war, and they don't belong on the streets of Miami or any other street in America," Mayor Manuel Diaz said.

"It was like a war zone," resident Joan Rutherford told CNN affiliate WSVN

Police Chief John Timoney, towards the end of this video, said Joe Biden assured him a new assault weapons ban would go into effect.
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/01/24/dnt.assault.weapons.cnn

2. NWMoss

NWMoss Lost, permanently... Member

Eff. They're trying to expedite their agenda.

The neutered AK-47's we have here in the US can HARDLY be called assault weapons.

Wonder if they're going to try and take back the ones we already have. Any informed opinions on this?

3. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

What worries me the most, is that just about any semiautomatic rifle could be defined as an assault rifle.

For example, an old M1 Garand and, especially, an M1A.

4. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

5. nathanh

Now there has been a similar incident in Portland. 9 shot last night in downtown Portland.

"Police believe a man fatally shot two people and wounded seven others outside a downtown Portland nightclub and a neighboring bar Saturday night before turning the gun on himself."
    http://www.katu.com/news/38295344.html

6. nathanh

My thinking on this is that at the very least Obama will pass a Clinton style assault weapons ban. The list of 'banned' weapons will be much larger and the ban won't sunset. BUT all currently owned weapons will be grandfathered in.

I was a child in 1994 so I don't remember what kind of response gun owners had to Clinton's ban but there obviously wasn't a civil war that time so passing a similar, but expanded, ban would be safe.

Democrats will be able to say they 'banned' assault weapons. Gun owners will still have their guns. Politics as usual.

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Ok, so this may be going waaaay out on a limb, but.......

If the criminals go out and use 'assault' type weapons for their crimes now, that would just get the fire going all the more to ban them. Then all who would have them would be criminals. See where I'm going with this?

Criminals are fanning the ban themselves, as they have nothing to worry about.

8. Abe Froman

Abe Froman West of Salem Active Member

Firearms are like cars, great untill they are operated by the wrong person. Im sure there are no laws banning automobiles, but I pretty sure more people are killed or injured buy autos than firearms. I am also pretty sure that more autos are used in crimes than firearms. My .02 is that if criminals had much more severe punishments for all types of crime and not just a slap on the wrist, they would be much less likely to commit crimes of any sort. Ban the criminals not the guns. Work camps and manual labor is not unfair, commiting crimes against others is.

9. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

Yep. If convicted of crime using a firearm... add an additional 25 years onto the sentence.

10. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

No, if a firearm is used in the crime then Death should be the approved punishment. As a taxpayer I'm tired of footing the bill for everyone that breaks the law. It's time for real punishment. No more of this 3 hot's, a cot, and cable BS. Exterminate the vermin.

11. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Keep it civil

12. nathanh

Why is using a firearm special? If firearms require special sentences than they can require special restrictions. How about any violent crime where a weapon (firearm, knife, crowbar, rock) is used with the intent to seriously injure someone or does seriously injure or kill someone results in an additional 25 years (or death).

13. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

I agree !

And further, don't have the scum lounging at our expense for 20 years before putting them down!

If our laws and punishments were made and enforced, with the true intent to protect our society, instead of the perpitraitors, we might have some unemployed prison guards, but a much safer place to live. We might not even feel the need to be armed when we go out for dinner!

Frog.

14. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

That's their plan...

15. NWMoss

NWMoss Lost, permanently... Member

No kidding!

16. jrc99

jrc99 Fairview, OR Member

HERE HERE!!! :thumbup: