JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about buying a 32 gauge(.50 cal) Pennsylvania smoothbore from Sitting Fox. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber? I wonder what the pluses and minuses are , I was told it's very accurate at shorter distances, I wonder how it would handle shot too? This is a octagon rifle not a fowler. Thanks

.50 caliber is a very well known and respected bore size, very capable of almost every need and quite versatile, hard to find any fault with this bore size!
Mr @Andy54Hawken will be along shortly and will add his formidable knowledge and experiences to this!
Feel free to ask any questions you like!

A smooth rifle is a fun gun to shoot and hunt with...
I have an original ( circa 1800) J. Henry flintlock Trade Rifle in .58 caliber , that is a smooth rifle.
( Pictured below)
This rifle still gets shot and hunted with today.

A .50 caliber smooth bore will be a very versatile gun.
A .490 round ball and 60 - 80 grains will work for most any game you care to hunt...
With practice you will get good hunting accuracy out to 100 yards or so.

With shot , this would make a dandy small game and grouse gun.

Sitting Fox uses quality parts in their builds are pretty darn good in the historical looks as well.
Their locks are timed and tuned nicely...so you can prime with your main horn , just as "they" did in the 19th century.
Looking forward to seeing your new gun when it arrives.
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews