JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have noticed that when I dry fire my model 70 (which I very rarely do), the bolt handle lifts a bit. Basically, it appears the bolt is rotating counterclockwise slightly when I pull the trigger with the bolt closed on an empty chamber or with a dummy round (no primer or powder) chambered.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Have you tried inserting a spent casing to see it the brass cartridge takes up the headspace between the bolt face and the barrel chamber.

Yes, and in that scenario the fit is quite tight (more pressure to close the bolt) and there is no lifting of the bolt handle. However, I can see a very slight counterclockwise rotation of the mechanism just behind the bolt handle that houses the rear of the firing pin and the safety.

Last Edited:
I'm just wondering if any bolt rotation that could occur when the trigger is pulled on a live round might cause accuracy issues, and why the bolt would have a tendency to rotate counterclockwise when the trigger is pulled - even when the trigger is pulled straight back on the bench with the rifle held firmly in a vise. I'm not sure how the trigger works to release the firing pin, but it seems like it should pull down a disconnector or something to release the firing pin and that should not cause the bolt to want to rotate.

Last Edited:
The firing pin spring may be twisting a bit. Have you done a field strip lately and cleaned/lubricated the assembly?
I've never disassembled the bolt since I purchased the rifle, but I've only put about 60 rounds through it so far.
However, I was wondering if the spring might be causing the rotation.
It sounds like this tendency for the bolt to rotate when the trigger is pulled is not typical for a model 70. Would you agree?
I'm hoping someone with more experience with the model 70 might chime in.
In the meantime, I will disassemble the bolt to check the firing pin spring, but to be honest, unless I can seem something patently obvious, I probably wouldn't be able to tell if something is wrong with it.

I sent a message to Tim at Copeland Custom Gunworks asking about this and he informed me it is in fact due to the slight unwinding of the spring and completely normal.

The Tubb Duo Firing Pin Spring is intended to address this twisting effect.
Tubb Precision CS Duo Firing Pin Spring - Win Model 70 Long Action
Noticed some new posts and checked out your link.
This looks interesting. Spending $20 to see if it actually stops the rotation is probably worth it. If it does work and makes a small improvement in accuracy, it will have been little money well spent. If it doesn't work or makes no difference in accuracy, you at least have a replacement spring if you ever need one.
Anyway, thanks for the link!

thanks for the link!

Happy to. What I do, and would recommend, is to set up stable, then dry fire. If you can do so repeatedly without the reticle shifting from the point of aim, don't bother with the spring change. If instead you find that the reticle shifts/jumps during dry fire, try the new spring. You may well find an accuracy improvement.

Happy to. What I do, and would recommend, is to set up stable, then dry fire. If you can do so repeatedly without the reticle shifting from the point of aim, don't bother with the spring change. If instead you find that the reticle shifts/jumps during dry fire, try the new spring. You may well find an accuracy improvement.
That is 100% solid advice I will take to the bank!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top