JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Part 6...aaannnd we're done...

Part 5:

Part 4:

Part 3:

Part 2 is up. It's good!

Thought this was interesting. It's going to be a six parter. The author was a 23 year, Army intelligence officer who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan...

Part 1:

August 16, 2021 by Chris Otero

I had a lot of people ask me about Afghanistan today. At least half of the questions were, 'How are you doing?' I assured them that I'm doing perfectly fine. I honestly feel nothing at all emotionally. Intellectually I'm interested because Afghanistan previously occupied a lot of my attention and part of me still regards the military ramifications of things. But this was the outcome I was certain was going to happen since 2010. I first started thinking about it in 2006 but after 2010 I was like 'yep, this place is a lost cause.' Now that Kabul has fallen, to acknowledge this event, I will spend the next six nights outlining the 'Six reasons why the Taliban won Afghanistan.'

Reason #1: There was no Afghan Civil Society
I often got asked to compare my Iraq time with my Afghanistan time and the biggest difference was that Iraq had a Civil Society. When I was out in the towns and cities you constantly met professional Iraqis – Engineers, Teachers, University Professors, Military Professionals, Nurses, Veterinarians, Bankers. Those professionals and the associated infrastructure were there and hadn't fled the country. That structure had been battered but it was still present in force. You could stand in the middle of an Iraqi city and language barrier aside you could recognize the rhythms of normal urban life. You got the sense that the mission really was, 'Let's get these insurgents tapped down for six months and Civil Society will reassert itself.' And that is largely what happened.

The Author...
Chris retired in 2019 after twenty-three years in the Army. He served as an intelligence officer with postings overseas in both conventional and special operations units. He now works in prison administration and continues to serve as a volunteer firefighter.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads