JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wondering if anyone has used them recently and how it went.

I'm still up in the air over it due to the travel involved in the pickup... the closest OR kiosk is 1.5 hrs and a mountain range away in LaGrande. I can drive an easy half hour to Tri Cities to use the SS kiosk but the suppressor itself has to be picked up in OR.

I'm a total noob in the NFA woods so much of the jargon (Form 1, Form 4, etc) is over my head right now, although I've l've picked up a few tips from reading through this subforum, like NOT using a Capitol One (or any other) CC for payment.. it's the least l could do before asking a noob question.

I haven't used the kiosk, but picked up a can from a FFL/SOT that had one. Unlike other NFA transfers, on that one I just did a One Shot Trust. Super-duper easy and most of it can be done online.

With respect to the forms you mentioned, F1 is to build a new NFA regulated firearm. F4 is to transfer an existing one. If you are doing Silencer Shop purchase, it would be F4.

Cheers. :)

So if l just wanted to put a stock on my PC Charger (9mm) I'd need the Form 1. But if l wanted to add a can to it I'd also need Form 4?

Correct.

If you are wanting to create a new NFA item (in this case an SBR) you would need the Form 1. There is a good guide here. (It is on silencers, but the procedure is the same.)

If you want to do a tax-paid transfer of an existing NFA item (like the silencer) it would be Form 4. (I've bought at least two cans from them and found Silencer Shop is very helpful with the paperwork.)

And using your example of the Charger, this one I put together involved both a Form 1 (for the SBRed rifle) and a Form 4 (for the silencer attached):

409987-8b5c34fd6ed5ce21fbe3eb59fdb2130f-jpg.582188

Correct.

If you are wanting to create a new NFA item (in this case an SBR) you would need the Form 1. There is a good guide here. (It is on silencers, but the procedure is the same.)

If you want to do a tax-paid transfer of an existing NFA item (like the silencer) it would be Form 4. (I've bought at least two cans from them and found Silencer Shop is very helpful with the paperwork.)
Will SS walk you through both forms, or only the one (F4) that concerns them directly? I'm assuming two sets of prints, pictures, and payments, submitted separately for both items?

I'm sure l could do this on my own, without their help. It just seemed like a easier way to get familiar with the processes and avoid 1st timer mistakes.

Also, l know it's a new application + payment for each suppressor bought, but is it the same way for an SBR where you're not really "adding" anything? Beyond a stock where a brace used to live, l mean.... l could do that today with just parts on hand.

It's a silly, stupid regulation, IMO.

ETA; Nevermind. You pretty much answered that last question already.

The SS Form 1 option has been discontinued
You can use the Form 1 for a SBR or a suppressor if you are making the suppressor yourself
The primary reason for the Form 1 suppressor is faster approval (like a +/- 4 weeks Vs a year)
You might be able to save money building your own suppressor, but it's an easy money pit to fall into ;)

If you have a local class 3 save the trip to the kiosk and do it the old school way. The Form 4 average wait time for me has been 9 months on paper. Won't mention any names but the shop I used the kiosk in almost went under and lost/misplaced my tax stamp. I was approved in 7 months but the kiosk had no bearing on the shorter turn around. By the time I got the gun shop to choke up my tax stamp it essentially ended up being a 9 month wait. I tried the kiosk once. It may be the bee knees for some but I'm content on paper.

The advantage is all you have to do is provide prints, a picture and your info and they send all the right paperwork to all the right people. I'm a few months into my first suppressor wait and I decided going the easy route for the first one would help me get familiar with the process and get my feet wet. I don't know that I'd make a 3 hour round trip to use one, though.

I don't know that I'd make a 3 hour round trip to use one, though.
No, l wouldn't either. The closest kiosk is in Tri-Cities, about 30 minutes away. I found out today that l have (at least) 2 options here in Hermiston for pickup of the actual equipment (suppressor), which has to be done in your state of residence... the paperwork, prints, etc can be done anywhere.

If you have a local class 3 save the trip to the kiosk and do it the old school way.
I found a couple today... didn't take as much legwork as l had thought... one came to me via my barber and the other is a LGS that l just wandered into to check for ammo or... whatever.
I think I'll do as you suggest and just do it the old fashioned way. Dude at the LGS gave me some info that will save me some heartache. Ex: blue print on fingerprint cards. That's the kind of thing that can cause a delay or denial for no good reason.

Last Edited:
Wondering if anyone has used them recently and how it went.

I'm still up in the air over it due to the travel involved in the pickup... the closest OR kiosk is 1.5 hrs and a mountain range away in LaGrande. I can drive an easy half hour to Tri Cities to use the SS kiosk but the suppressor itself has to be picked up in OR.

I'm a total noob in the NFA woods so much of the jargon (Form 1, Form 4, etc) is over my head right now, although I've l've picked up a few tips from reading through this subforum, like NOT using a Capitol One (or any other) CC for payment.. it's the least l could do before asking a noob question.
I don't think it matters at all to Silencer Shop which kiosk you use. When on their website you'll notice that you can choose your FFL to deliver it to. At least here in Vancouver I've used two separate FFL's that had no kiosk at all. They just used the data loaded from the kiosk I used for an earlier purchase.
I recommend you reach out to the FFL in Tri-Cities area and let them know your situation. They may charge a fee to do the photo and fingerprints but that might be worth it to save yourself one long drive. Then, once you're in their system, you're good for a year or so. You order and pay online from home and 6-12 months later, you go pick it up.

Good luck with your new can.

If you have a local class 3 save the trip to the kiosk and do it the old school way. The Form 4 average wait time for me has been 9 months on paper. Won't mention any names but the shop I used the kiosk in almost went under and lost/misplaced my tax stamp. I was approved in 7 months but the kiosk had no bearing on the shorter turn around. By the time I got the gun shop to choke up my tax stamp it essentially ended up being a 9 month wait. I tried the kiosk once. It may be the bee knees for some but I'm content on paper.
Only 9 months? Not bad. I had an experience with a dealer that took two years.

My current can in NFA jail is at 5 months this week from check cashing date. I used the kiosk but had to mail in my fingerprints to Silencer Shop because my prints are VERY difficult to take, and most scanners can't do it. I don't know if SS will update my order status as "received" or how that works, but I'm very interested to see how it all plays out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top