JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I found this at an estate sale. I am not a collector nor do I have knowledge in any way about signal cannons.
Could some of you help me with determining what this is, date it if possible, and, if it is a small cannon what form of carriage it should be placed on for it to resemble the way it once was.

Also, what type of metal this is.

Thanks you very much.

IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG

Welcome to NWFA, since this is the new member introduction area.

Looks like someone's high school shop project. Maybe made out of brass or bronze.
As for a carriage or mount it could have been almost any style.

Welcome to NWFA, since this is the new member introduction area.

Looks like someone's high school shop project. Maybe made out of brass or bronze.
As for a carriage or mount it could have been almost any style.

Thanks for your insight. It did not look that old based on others I studied online but what confused me is that it did not have trunnions. Are some cannons made without trunnions? If so, how did they hold them down? I paid almost nothing for it but thought it looked unique. Thanks again.

It looks like a brass cannon. My dad had one when we were kids. He would load it up with some black powder and put a fuse from a firework. It makes a great loud BOOM! We never had a projectile in it but he did have a stand for it and we always pointed it in a safe direction (of course).

That there is a rape whistle.
For who...Rosie O'Donnell ?
{just thinking since it seems unused}

Welcome abcoach. Regarding your cannon barrel, since it is kind of stubby and has no trunnion, it reminds me of a 19th century naval carronade. A carriage for that be would pretty straight forward to make, see below.....

220px-68carronade.jpg

220px-GovHseCarronade1.jpg

Last Edited:
This is awesome. Thank you for showing me this. As I said, I know nothing about cannons...but wanting to learn. Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum! Love good finds at a garage sale. It looks like brass to me as well but that is as far as my expertice goes. good luck with your search.

@Certaindeaf Rape whistle! I laughed so hard I needed that this morning thanks brother. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top