JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Folks,

I have a new Rossi 92 .357 that I'd like to install new sights on. I have a marbles bullseye and fiber optic, but I don't think I have the right tools for this job. Has anyone replaced traditional dovetail sights and can give me some tips? Should I just pay a gunsmith to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Rand

Rand, you will need an appropriate sized brass drift, a small hammer and a way to hold the rifle barrel without scratching and marring the finish.

Most dovetail sights drift out from the left when looking at the firearm from the butt stock.
The most important thing to remember is that the bottom of the new sights dovetail is where you remove any metal, never the sloping sides.
If you measure the original sights dovetail base width, then that's measurement you want to file an oversized replacement sight too.

I have a mid sized vise with plastic jaw covers, but I have also used some thick lead sheets placed over the vises jaws.

There is a jewelry supply house on SE 8th between Powell and Division, right next to Ferguson Plumbing Supply and they sell all sorts of neat tools for cheap.
My favorite is a nicely balanced ball peen type hammer with exchangeable heads that allow you to switch between steel, brass, copper and plastic non marring heads.

Rand, you will need an appropriate sized brass drift, a small hammer and a way to hold the rifle barrel without scratching and marring the finish.

Most dovetail sights drift out from the left when looking at the firearm from the butt stock.
The most important thing to remember is that the bottom of the new sights dovetail is where you remove any metal, never the sloping sides.
If you measure the original sights dovetail base width, then that's measurement you want to file an oversized replacement sight too.

I have a mid sized vise with plastic jaw covers, but I have also used some thick lead sheets placed over the vises jaws.

There is a jewelry supply house on SE 8th between Powell and Division, right next to Ferguson Plumbing Supply and they sell all sorts of neat tools for cheap.
My favorite is a nicely balanced ball peen type hammer with exchangeable heads that allow you to switch between steel, brass, copper and plastic non marring heads.

Thanks for the reply!

I've seen this done on videos, but it looks like I'd need a few hundred dollars in tools, so I'll just take it to gunsmith to change the sights.

-Rand

I replaced the rear sight on my Rossi with a Skinner peep sight, and found it pretty easy. Compared to stripping it, replacing the trigger spring, and getting that thing put back together, it was easy!

I wound up ordering Skinner's drift punch that's flat on one side. Made the job a little easier, but I don't know if it was necessary. Already had a vise, and I just used two layers of cardboard between the vise and the gun.

I also did the Steve's Gunz (I know, I know) safety delete kit. Did that because I am foolish.

If you're looking for work on sights, I would recommend @Velzey - he added Tech Sights to my Marlin 7000, which involved drilling/tapping the barrel for the front sight. Very nice work.

I always recommend having a gunsmith do it!:D

So with that being said, just let me know if you would like me to do it. I can replace the sights and sight it in for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top