Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sight/Optic Options on AR's

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by 9mmMike, Nov 1, 2009.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

So for the average Joe, what is wrong with using the iron carry handle sights, and if needed remove and mount with QD rings a higher power scope? How accurate are the carry handles when re-attaching? Do they hold zero as well as the QD optic mounts? This would seem like the best option for me as I already have an optic equipped accurized Mini-14 with QD rings. I just really don't want to spend another 300.00 or so on BUIS when I have a removeable carry handle that has great, fully adjustable, sights, and have never had a scope fail on me in 31 yrs of hunting. I have a 2-7 Leupold on my Mini that comes off in a couple seconds to use the iron peeps(non-adjustable). Would probably take me 45 seconds to 1 minute to remove a scope and attach the carry handle/sights. I am willing to spend the $$ on quality optics, but the quality optics, plus fully adjustable BUIS set will come close to the value of my AR.

Opinions?

2. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

300 on BUIS?

No way. Grab a Magpul rear BUIS for 40.00. Or a super sleek Troy for 130.

3. xjjeeper223

xjjeeper223 Medford Active Member

Or just chop the carry handle so only the sight portion is still intact.

4. Blov

Blov Oregon Central Coast Member

I've seen those, they can be quite nice.

5. Selftest

Selftest Bellingham, WA Member

I agree with the above statements. Chopping, is, of course, the cheapest, and they look really nice if the time is taken. The Magpul sights are very cost effective. I love my Troy BUIS, but if it hadn't come with my rifle, I would have bought the Magpul.

6. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

this summer I bought a lmt rear buis from bravo co. online for 110.00. they are very well made and still alow you to mount red dot optics forward of the sight. if you want to remove them to mount a scope, there is a qd screw on it that removes the sight in seconds.