JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for a small, single stack 9mm for quite some time now. I purchased a Diamondback DB9 a year or so ago and absolutely hated it. It jammed nearly every magazine... even after 250+ rounds. I had the Kimber Solo on my list, but I read some not-so-nice things about it as well. My daughter bought a Sig P290, but it doesn't fit my hands well.

Enter my new P938.

I took it to the range for the first time last week, and all I can say is I finally found my micro 9MM. This thing shoots like a dream. 200+ rounds, three different brands. Not one issue.

Mine is identical to this, except with the silver slide;

After 200+ rounds, the only negative is the trigger. It is physically very, very aggressive. The scores in it are vertical, and the finger gets sore after awhile. I think I'll also try and smooth things up inside as well, a lighter pull would be nice. The extended mag is a must for me, it makes the feel just about perfect.

@ 25', this is my last three mags;

If you are on the fence with this gun, don't be.

P938_zps4a4be547.jpg IMG_1921_zps062fc3cc.jpg

Agreed, I really like mine. Sorry to hear you'd didn't like your DB9. I really like mine a lot as well. Fits the pocket nice and I don't mind if it gets beat up. I also noticed my 938 likes reloads far better than the diamondback. Sounds like your found your pocket pistol unicorn.

It is a great gun, I shot one at the range a month ago, that my buddy rented. My only problem with it is the price....Sig thinks way too highly of it for what it really is IMO.

Do some checking around.... There was a special that some stores took advantage of;
Two tone P938 with Hogue grips, extended mag (+ std) night sights and Sig laser for 599.00

Kinda like getting a 200$ discount AND some cool free stuff. :D

My daughter is thinking about a P290, how does she like it? Other than not fitting your hands what do you think of it? How many rounds have been through it and has it been 100% reliable? Thanks for the info.

It is stone cold reliable.. like every Sig I've owned. She likes it... the trigger pull is quite a bit longer than the 938 from what I understand (it's been awhile since I've shot it) She's probably put a good 400-500 thu it by now.
I'd have your daugther hold both of 'em and see which one feels better. My kid lucked into the same kind of deal I did on the 938. Hers was a Shot Show special that had the extended mag and a laser. I think she paid somewhere around 550-600 for hers new.. but I honestly don't remember for certain.

Just a couple comparisons of the two however;
The P290 is; .4" shorter, same height and same width, but 5.5 oz heavier without the mag. P938 is 16 oz with mag; 290 is 20.5 without. The 290 does have the edge in pricing though.. 100+ less dough at retail.

Just picked up a P938 SAS. I agree with everything mjn says. It is light, while still being a metal gun, has little recoil for it's size, is accurate, and feels solid. Ate a box of crappy aluminum jacketed Blazer without a hickup. Has night sights, is great looking. Easily concealable. The trigger is nice and crisp but it does slap back agressively. After carrying Kahrs and small Rugers, this is the one for me. I did buy a hogue grip, but need washers, as the screws interfere with the magazines. So, until I find some wishers, it is back to the wood grips. And, yes, the extended mags are a MUST.

So the 938 doesn't recoil too harshly like a snub 38 or pocket 380? My wife didn't like the XDs 45, but she loves the 1911/357mag/.40.

So the 938 doesn't recoil too harshly like a snub 38 or pocket 380? My wife didn't like the XDs 45, but she loves the 1911/357mag/.40.

The only snubby I have right now is a Smith 360PD.. 11.5 oz scandium frame .357/38. The 938 does not buck as much as the Smith with 38's, but there's a substantial weight difference between the two. 5.5 oz or so.

Make no mistake, you definitely know you pulled the trigger, but it doesn't buck as much as the Diamondback DB9 I had (when it actually worked). Again, weight is a factor as the DB9 is an 11 oz idea.

Make no mistake, you definitely know you pulled the trigger

I had a feeling that was probably the case. I can't blame her too much for not liking to shoot the S&W Airweight; hands down, I prefer the .44mag Super Blackhawk over that little beast. I think that I may give her my Ruger Commander.

I had a feeling that was probably the case. I can't blame her too much for not liking to shoot the S&W Airweight; hands down, I prefer the .44mag Super Blackhawk over that little beast. I think that I may give her my Ruger Commander.

It's hard to beat the feel of a 1911.. I love my 3" CDP Kimber, but it doesn't fit in my pocket nearly as well. :cool:

Agree, they are nice pieces. With the extended mag, they feel and shoot much bigger than they are. The biggest downside is the trigger. The plastic is aggressive and the pull is heavy. you can get a stainless trigger from a guy on the Oregon coast. It is a big improvement. I also recommend getting from Wolff some mustang mainsprings and clipping a couple coils. While you have the piece apart, you can do some tuning and polishing. I installed a stainless trigger, did some spring tuning and polishing and really improved the trigger pull dropping it into the 6lb range and smoothing it considerably.

The serrations on the Sig 238 & 938 plastic triggers can easily be calmed by wrapping a bit of 400 grit wet & dry sandpaper around a pencil and sanding just a bit on the top of the serrations. I did this and so did many others and it takes quick care of the problem.
But the SS trigger from New Page 1 is a much more elegant solution

The serrations on the Sig 238 & 938 plastic triggers can easily be calmed by wrapping a bit of 400 grit wet & dry sandpaper around a pencil and sanding just a bit on the top of the serrations. I did this and so did many others and it takes quick care of the problem.
But the SS trigger from New Page 1 is a much more elegant solution

Excellent! Thanks for the link!