JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i cant bring myself to digging into the WAAAYYback of the safe to get a pic,but i made the mistake of buying a friends m1carbine enforcer pistol. butt ugly AND unreliable

It would require finding a replacement barrel, which in turn means you'll have to headspace it. Then you need to find all the other small parts.

Sometimes bubba's efforts take it beyond the worth of restoration...

I haven't seen any gun that is too ugly to own yet. This setup is pretty ugly in my opinion though.

FullSizeRender.jpg

What is this fascinating ruger with the metal rod? I was thinking shoulder stock for a second. It is awesome! I would love to know more.

The .357 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk with its 14" barrel and grip extension is the one of the only ways that we can legally own a modern cartridge-firing handgun on mainland yUK [England, Scotland and Wales]. Legal shooters in Northern Ireland can have any kind of handgun they want. Revolvers in any and all centrefires, all .22 semi-auto pistols, and single-shot long-range/metallic sillhouette style guns must all comply with the 12" minimum length barrel and overall length of 24".

The other way we can have an ordinary-looking centre-fire cartridge-firing handgun on the mainland is by having it for humane dispatch of animals. Uusers are veterinarians of game conservancy/game wardens etc. However the gun is limited to having the capacity of firing only TWO shots, and has to be altered accordingly. Under no circumstances may these firearms be used on a range for target shooting of any kind. The 'condition' of use is for humane dispatch, NOT target shooting.

Hunting any kind of game, or destruction of vermin, using any kind of handgun is prohibited in the entire yUK.

tac

I mean, do hear on the news every night about all the shootings...Gang, mass, self inflicted, accidental?

Does Northern Ireland have a high number of firearm related deaths?

The point, Mike, ignoring the 4000+ murders by bombing and guns during the recent troubles, is that no LEGALLY-owned handguns had been used in the commission of crime since the late 1940's. And that involved one shooter and one victim, who survived.

So your answer is, a resounding 'no'.

Northern Ireland, as a result of these recent troubles, is so far the only part of any country in Western Europe that has government-issued CCW. Some 3000+ handguns of one kind or another are issued to people whose lives have been threatened by virtue of their current or former occupation. The list involves members of the judiciary, police and military reservists, certain members of the legal profession, and others who are eligible because of familial association or occupation.

tac

I don't know @tac , seem like logical questions? Can't turn on the news here for 10 minutes without seeing something about "Gun Violence".

The question wasn't meant to poke at, or offend. Must be all of the Isles are much more civilized then the US, maybe? :confused:

tac, I believe Mikej's reference was to the barrage of "gun violence" news from here, not from there, vis the fact that there are handguns in Northern Ireland.

There are legal handguns here, too, just that most of them look like mine, or the .22 semi-auto likes the GSG M1911. A few people have a special permit that allows them to keep a live handgun at home, but does not permit the acquisition of ammunition. An extension of that permit allows gun AND ammunition, but they both have to be stored at a dedicated range, and the owner has 'visitation rights'....I decided that I was just too proud to do that.

Oh, of course, there are many, many BP handguns of all kinds, just not cartridge-firing.........

I'm not suggesting that it's all just wonderful, just to note that there ARE places where not even these strictures are anywhere near enough.

Washingon DC, for instance.

tac

Mike, if I have read your post awrong, then I ask your indulgence. Please bear in mind that some nuances of the language still elude me, even after all these years, and I tend to be very literal in my mental translations.

tac

I don't know @tac , seem like logical questions? Can't turn on the news here for 10 minutes without seeing something about "Gun Violence".

The question wasn't meant to poke at, or offend. Must be all of the Isles are much more civilized then the US, maybe? :confused:
Media bias differs from country to country?

Certainly my "ugliest" firearm by today's standards, but this one is by far one of my most prized smokepoles...
Ottoman Empire matchlock musket, ca. late-16th Century, about a .55 caliber bore, 61" OAL, in complete working order, although I've never had the balls to load and fire it. The "recoil pad" is a cat's skull with (some of) the fur still attached... o_O
My dad bought this almost 50 years ago from a little old man in a run-down shop in Abha, Saudi Arabia. My dad's co-worker (a Palestinian) acted as interpreter and got the story from the little old Saudi gentleman, who was quite adamant in his assertions of the musket's origin. We have no idea if this history is correct, but he was pretty convinced that what he was telling my dad was the truth.

Ancient smokepole.01.JPG

If someone on this board is familiar with muskets from the supposed era and locale, perhaps this image of the gold inlay on the top of the barrel in front of the pan might be a clue to its origins. Anybody here care to try to positively identify this smokepole so that I might correct its history if it's in error? I would be most appreciative, as would my father.

Ancient smokepole.02.JPG

Certainly my "ugliest" firearm by today's standards, but this one is by far one of my most prized smokepoles...
Ottoman Empire matchlock musket, ca. late-16th Century, about a .55 caliber bore, 61" OAL, in complete working order, although I've never had the balls to load and fire it. The "recoil pad" is a cat's skull with (some of) the fur still attached... o_O
My dad bought this almost 50 years ago from a little old man in a run-down shop in Abha, Saudi Arabia. My dad's co-worker (a Palestinian) acted as interpreter and got the story from the little old Saudi gentleman, who was quite adamant in his assertions of the musket's origin. We have no idea if this history is correct, but he was pretty convinced that what he was telling my dad was the truth.

View attachment 410577

If someone on this board is familiar with muskets from the supposed era and locale, perhaps this image of the gold inlay on the top of the barrel in front of the pan might be a clue to its origins. Anybody here care to try to positively identify this smokepole so that I might correct its history if it's in error? I would be most appreciative, as would my father.

View attachment 410576

The above might even predate @AndyinEverson ! His knowledge, not the man himself, of course. ;)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top