JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's my Number 5 Remington Rolling Block saddle ring carbine in 7mm...around turn of the century.

Made in 7mm Spanish, but will fire 7mm Mauser rounds.

20220106_131658.jpg

20220106_131712.jpg

20220106_131705.jpg

20220106_131720.jpg

20220106_131736.jpg

That's awesome! Is my understanding of the action correct?

You cock the hammer back to a full cock position,
roll the rolling block to the rear
pull the spent case (or does the rolling block have an extractor mechanism?)
add in a new cartridge,
rotate the rolling block to the forward position,
and now you're ready to fire.
When firing, the hammer engages with the rolling block to strengthen/support a sealed breach.

Is the design inherently stronger or weaker than a falling block?

That's awesome! Is my understanding of the action correct?

You cock the hammer back to a full cock position,
roll the rolling block to the rear
pull the spent case (or does the rolling block have an extractor mechanism?)
add in a new cartridge,
rotate the rolling block to the forward position,
and now you're ready to fire.
When firing, the hammer engages with the rolling block to strengthen/support a sealed breach.

Is the design inherently stronger or weaker than a falling block?

Looking forward to posts on here, cool design. Anybody know if there are any .38/.357 rolling blocks? They wouldnt be that okd obviously.
Restored #1 Sporter, barrel lined, and rechambered for .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Full octagon 28" barrel produces 1800 fps, and 1137 ft-lbs with 158 gr round nose lead .357 Mag cartridges...
RRB Restore - 10.jpg RRB Restore - 18.jpg RRB Restore - 05.jpg RRB Restore - 11.jpg RRB Restore - 21.jpg RRBRestore-ChamberOpensm.jpg RRBRestore-LeafSightsm.jpg RRB Restore - 01sm.jpg RRB Restore - 16.jpg

Last Edited:
What caliber?
LARGE?

I was told by someone that should know what it was likely to be, don't recall now.

I get .0434" as best I can tell with my calipers.

The throat is all corroded from corrosive primers I presume.

I want to say the second patent date is 1866. I seem to remember getting a possible manufacture date on the rife of 1871. It's been a long time since I've eve had it out of the safe.
My dad got into a gunshop biz with his brother in SoCal when he got out of the navy in '47. he had about eight guns he gave me before he passed in 2010. most of them were like this one. I had a Win M66 and 86. Burgess shotgun. Old Mauser. His personally sporterized M17 derr rifle, I still have that one. His Dads police service S&W M15 and acoupel other junk pistols. These rifles he had were all in bad shape, except his deer rifle. There's a lot more to it. I've turned most of them into other guns $$. I'd like to think about doing a job on this like Zeke did to his.

Here's mine. One needs work one needs a hope and well something! The pair are 7mm and came from a relatives estate. Unfinished/incomplete was fished out of several different boxes of "junk" parts. Been able to get it this far.
The saddle ring one a friend of the family gave to my boys for helping him with yard work. He remembers buying it in the 50s. I believe it is 43 spanish or Reformado but not for sure. We have one round for it here somewhere! 20220112_190747.jpg 20220112_185216.jpg 20220112_192029.jpg 20220112_185734.jpg

I dug out some similar rounds. Here's an 11mm Mauser, .43 Spanish, 11.15mm Austrian Werndl, .43 Reformado, and an 1888 45-70.

I think your 43 round has the wrong base and too long of a neck to be Spanish. Maybe the 11.15 Werndl? It has the right base, but is only slightly shorter than the Mauser. As far as I can tell, it wasn't used in the Remington rolling block. I'm not any kind of expert, just an amateur cartridge collector.

IMG_2185[1].jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads