JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Those of you that have a Remington Model 11, used for home defense, please post pictures, and perhaps share what you did to modify it. I have one I want to amputate the barrel and swap out the wood. Your sharing will inspire me to operate :)

That they do. I think doing so evolved mainly from the era of Bonnie & Clyde. That's been my pursuit. I've contemplated it off/on for near 10 years, but never had the nerve to shorten the barrel. I've never been a shotgun guy, but do have a few that were given to me over the years. The Mod. 11 was my dads. That may play in-to why I've not moved forward on the thought. However, if someone posted pictures of a nicely modded rendition, and mods were readily available, that may nudge me onward.

My plan as a role was actually filled, by a Beretta 1301T.
I would still be interested in hearing from the horses words about their Remington Mod. 11's.

Climbing huh? Interesting to hear, as I have not looked into the desire of them. I know the A5's have always been favored over the clones though. I know you're a collector of finer specimens. Much respect, as I'm taking everything you say, in.

I have an A-5 that was my grandfathers bird & skeet gun. I also have a very old Model 11 that I picked up cheap. The barrel was alerady cut to 18.5", was spray pained, and the wood was in terrible condition. I had it Cerakoted added a magazine extension, sling mounts, synthetic stock and a 2 piece carrier. Just need to add some kind of sight.

My suggestion would be to find a beater 11 in a pawn shop or your LGS and get it for as cheap as you can. I have found plenty for 250.00 out the door and with some more hagglan I think I could get to 200.00 or below and I have found 4 decent A5s for under 350.00. Do a search on line lots of good suggestions and how to's on what you want to do, if it were me I would leave yours Dad's 11 as it is, but what ever you do I would like some pics have a great day

The 11's aren't really clones. John M Browning spent a lot of time at the factory perfecting them. He wanted them made in the USA. Browning actually had a meeting to sell the A5 to Remington, but while waiting in the reception area for the meeting, the secretary came out telling Browning that the president just had a heart attack in his office. After that, Browning took his design to FN, where A5's were made until the start of WWll. At that time Remington took over full production. Sorry, didn't mean to geek out on you. I've seen some model 11's selling for $700-800 lately. 5 years ago they were on the $199 rack in most pawnshops.

Last Edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies.

@284guy

I would put my Mod. 11 in the 80% category, as it was used by my dad to duck hunt. And that was not much. Back when he bought it, I think it was more a "my buddy talked me into it" type of play. No way in heck was he walking through the grass/mudflats all day to shoot a duck that tasted like mud. LOL.

I've seen several cheap model 11's over the years that would have filled my current tribulations. I never gave them my time because I had one. *shrug* On that note, I've questioned myself, and maybe subliminally told myself I don't really need it to be B&C
The geeking out, I don't mind it at all.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

@284guy

I would put my Mod. 11 in the 80% category, as it was used by my dad to duck hunt. And that was not much. Back when he bought it, I think it was more a "my buddy talked me into it" type of play. No way in heck was he walking through the grass/mudflats all day to shoot a duck that tasted like mud. LOL.

I've seen several cheap model 11's over the years that would have filled my current tribulations. I never gave them my time because I had one. *shrug* On that note, I've questioned myself, and maybe subliminally told myself I don't really need it to be B&C
The geeking out, I don't mind it at all.

So this is just me, but since it was your dads gun, I'd be hard pressed to cut it up. Perhaps a child or relative will appreciate duck hunting with it some day. Maybe one of those rusty pawnshop finds would be better suited for full on modifications with zero regret ever catching up with you. Your gun, your money, do as you wish.

IF I end up leaving the Mod. 11 alone, I would really like to find a nice factory set of wood for it. The butt stock has the infamous "cracking/chip" around the top tang.

Cool factor alone......

08ACE1C3-99A1-46E0-A954-208C7359FE7D.png

eBay is your friend. I pick up a lot of parts there cheap. Patience is the name of the game
I use to watch ebay like a hawk with one eye. Those I found, I could not afford/mint specimens/matching. Others, always outbid or too late to the draw.

I've also checked Bob's Gun Shop

I always look for misspellings. Picked up a lot of nice stuff cheap because people spell things wrong. Also, A5 stocks will command more money than Rem 11's, which will fetch more than savage 740, maybe it's 742.... anyway, the stocks are generally all the same, and came from the same manufacturers. Sometimes you can find a super cheap savage stock because someone won't know it's the same as an A5....

2AC6FA17-08A3-428E-93E2-371FA8200E26.jpeg The A-5 synthetic stock was a little different and had to be modified to fit my Model 11. One of my projects is to repair the wood stock.

Last Edited:
I dig the idea of taking a wrecked Model 11 and giving it a new lease on life , by making it into something you like.
I wouldn't suggest doing that with one in good working order however.
Looking forward to seeing what is posted here.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads