JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In Oregon, as along as the pocket clip of an automatic knife is exposed, it is lawfully considered "open carry". The "crime wave" that is often associated with the "Italian Switchblade Knife" never increased in the nation. "Knife Control" never really impacted criminal activities (go figure).

The recent states that "legalized" automatic knife ownership/carry have seen no increase in knife associated crime (surprise, surprise).

Since the 1958 "Switchblade Ban" (except for Military, Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters and EMS personnel). The law has had no effect on crime. 58 years is long enough to realize that this legislature has been a colossal failure.

Isn't it time for the Federal "Switchblade Control Act" to be dismantled?

In Oregon, as along as the pocket clip of an automatic knife is exposed, it is lawfully considered "open carry". The "crime wave" that is often associated with the "Italian Switchblade Knife" never increased in the nation. "Knife Control" never really impacted criminal activities (go figure).

The recent states that "legalized" automatic knife ownership/carry have seen no increase in knife associated crime (surprise, surprise).

Since the 1958 "Switchblade Ban" (except for Military, Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters and EMS personnel). The law has had no effect on crime. 58 years is long enough to realize that this legislature has been a colossal failure.

Isn't it time for the Federal "Switchblade Control Act" to be dismantled?

There you go using common sense and gooberment in the same post.:s0054:

As mentioned in a previous post, I carry a Benchmade Infidel mini everyday clipped to my pocket. Never much thought or cared about the federal laws concerning it. Now, after reading the OP, I'll continue to do the same.

But yes, the law needs to be expelled.

As mentioned in a previous post, I carry a Benchmade Infidel mini everyday clipped to my pocket. Never much thought or cared about the federal laws concerning it. Now, after reading the OP, I'll continue to do the same.

But yes, the law needs to be expelled.

I agree completely! This legislation should have been $#itcanned decades ago.

You can believe that the original "Act" was similar to the original AWB in nature. There was nothing but an emotional appeal behind it. The SCA did nothing to stop street gang violence. (The Act's "original intent).

It came about from the publishing of "The Toy That Kills" in The Ladies Home Companion Magazine - November 1950. This illustrated photographs of some beautiful Italian Automatics for sale in a New York City pawn shop window, with a bunch of youngsters gathered to admire the knives. (Hell, I used to admire the Saber Knives in the case at the local Sprouse-Reitz store during the 1960's when I was a lad).

Nothing more than a bunch of "feel good" crapola.

It came about from the publishing of "The Toy That Kills" in The Ladies Home Companion Magazine - November 1950. This illustrated photographs of some beautiful Italian Automatics for sale in a New York City pawn shop window, with a bunch of youngsters gathered to admire the knives. (Hell, I used to admire the Saber Knives in the case at the local Sprouse-Reitz store during the 1960's when I was a lad).

Nothing more than a bunch of "feel good" crapola.

Out of curiosity, I googled the title of the article, and found a pic of said. Here it is in case anyone is interested.

toy-kills-vintage-button-switchblade_1_5185c9f75583a0294376c519b96d4b09.jpg

toy-kills-vintage-button-switchblade_1_5185c9f75583a0294376c519b96d4b09.jpg

(The reference to Sprouse-Reitz takes me back. I remember one in our local area when I was kid too. AFAIK, they are long gone though.)

yes.the NFA needs to go away too

Indeed it does.

Out of curiosity, I googled the title of the article, and found a pic of said. Here it is in case anyone is interested.

View attachment 328102

View attachment 328103

(The reference to Sprouse-Reitz takes me back. I remember one in our local area when I was kid too. AFAIK, they are long gone though.)

Indeed it does.

Well, that was on Kings Boulevard near the junction of Lincoln Avenue in Corvallis, Oregon. (King's Boulevard would be 20th Street). I lived at the corner of 27th and Lincoln Avenue from 1956 and it was still "home" until Dad died in 1975.

Yes, those were the days.

No different than any other BS law that does nothing but make the antis and liberals feel like they actually accomplished something in their 50years of govt jobs.

Is a switchblade or autoknife really more dangerous than a folding knife?

About as different as an AR15 and a Ruger mini 14

Its not how the fast the blade opens , if it opens by itself or even if its a fixed blade.
Knives aren't dangerous.
Its what people choose to do with them , that can be dangerous.

But I guess its easier to regulate things , than people.
Andy

These laws are the same baby steps to outlawing them completely just like in England even steak knives with points are out lawed. Just like the gun laws.

Yes, it should, it absolutely should. But since that type of common sense doesn't seem to dwell in places like Salem, Olympia, Sacramento and Washington D.C., I won't be holding my breath.

Like people who watched too many Hollywood movies and banned silencers, too many people watched West Side Story and banned switchblades. Was there EVER a rash of switchblade attacks? And just how much faster can an auto knife be opened compared to an assisted knife and just how much more dangerous is that .25 of second worth of speed? Further, if I have a permit for carrying a concealed weapon, why can't that weapon also be a fixed blade or auto knife? Are you really going to tell me that a fixed blade or auto knife is somehow more dangerous than a pistol? WTF?

No different than any other BS law that does nothing but make the antis and liberals feel like they actually accomplished something in their 50years of govt jobs.

Is a switchblade or autoknife really more dangerous than a folding knife?

About as different as an AR15 and a Ruger mini 14
Its not how the fast the blade opens , if it opens by itself or even if its a fixed blade.
Knives aren't dangerous.
Its what people choose to do with them , that can be dangerous.

But I guess its easier to regulate things , than people.
Andy
Yes indeed,it's how good the hand that holds the knife is
A tooth brush in the hands of an ex con is as bad or worse than any steel knife
(Think shiv)

And YES!!!!

I collect auto knives. I was happy when I moved to Oregon from Hawaii and I was no longer a criminal for just having them in my home. Modern folding knives can be wrist flicked open just as fast as pushing a button on an auto knife. Stupid law based on Hollywood drama. In most knife assaults, kitchen knives are used.

Knife Rights is the organization that has successfully changed the auto knife laws in a number of states. They are the NRA of knife rights. Check them out and support them.
Knife Rights - Home I know Doug Ritter, the founder, he is a good guy.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads