JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I had the opportunity to purchase a 6" Colt Python for $1500 it did not have the original grips and it did have some blueing wear. Cash is tight right now so I let it walk. Was that a mistake??

I dont know, I just saw one today in the local shop for $2500! No way would I pay that much, even though this thing was Brand New with original box and every thing! Maybe there worth that much, but I just don't see it. My dad bought one three years ago for $600 and every one was saying how he payed too much then. So maybe the deal you see today may make a good investment.

The answer to that question is always "Yes". I'd have paid the 1500 for a shooter Python to keep my safe queens pristine. OK... maybe. Dang! All right! I'll take it!

There's always plenty of fish in the sea. Well so we hope at least. I think you did good by avoiding temptation. The bluing issue would have definitely bugged me personally but that seemed like a fair price. I'm sure the right one will come up for you.

Im not super-up on current Python prices but I have one not carried much which I bought new in the late '70s. Very minimal holster-wear and not fired much either. It was a "trophy-acquisition" at the time and is my "safe-queen" for sure. NOT for sale but I wouldn't take less than 2 grand for it. One with a little wear and use for $1500- well I didnt see it, but perhaps if you wanted a shooter Python, you might have enjoyed it. A Python original COLT is what it is! Keep looking, you might just find one where price and condition intersect.
There was one posted a couple years back which someone had left on the porch(!):eek: for long enuff to get rusted. Apparently the innards were OK but the finish was baaaaad. Sad to see a Python like that! Anyway it was never gonna be a safe-queen again so IIRC the guy had it cleaned up and PARKERISED! Some thought it an abomination, but considering it was only going to be a field-carry piece I liked it- no way you can "ding up your Python" when it's parked! The only Python I would consider for duty-carry. And it looked halfway decent, considering.
An unrestorable finish could be chromed also, seen it done on a VERY rough ww2 1911 carried in the Pacific and then spent decades down on the Border. A good bright chrome will cover up a lot of blemishes. Wish I'da kept that one...

LOL....I originally paid $499.00 for my 6" Python back in the 80's. Had to sell it 6 years ago and regret it ever since! It sold at Keith's on consignment for $1,200.(shortly after that prices started to skyrocket!) So if anyone sees a 6" Python with 300 Gunsmith Services engraved on the side plate and Millet sights I'll buy it back! LOL....cause I still have the original grips and the original sights!

If it had the original grips and they were in good condition, then yes it would have been worth it. You can always send it back to Colt for their Royal Blue refinish. The way you described it I too would have walked away. Personal preference but I would wait for a 4".