JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live on a forested mountain (more of a high hill, but it is officially a mountain) in a more than rural area. People hunt up here, there are bears, cougar, deer and other wildlife. Housing is relatively sparse and there is a lot of forest. we are well outside the limits of any city or town, the nearest one being 5 miles down the mountain. There are no county ordinances/etc. on shooting up here.

I plan to sell my property in about 5 years when I retire and move further out, so occasionally I check out the estimated value of my property to inform my plans. The other day I was on Trulia to crosscheck the Zillow estimate and I noticed a section of their page had local crime reports in the area. So out of curiosity I looked at the reports. I noticed a curious crime report about 3 miles away on another part of the mountain - "shots fired". It seems that every couple of months someone at that location reports "shots fired".

:eek:

Gasp!

Shots fired on my mountain??

Is that what those sounds are about 500 meters on three sides of me from time to time?? I thought they were just a car backfiring - repeatedly, for hours on end.

Imagine that! Out here in the forest, on a peaceful mountain, someone is shooting at something! Just about all the time when the weather is halfway decent.

I wonder if I should be calling the sheriff?

:D

Back on the farm (old growth forest with a pasture) a long time ago we'd occasionally hear rock and roll music while we were outside dicking around. The nearest neighbor was like .25 mi away and it wasn't them. Well we, being curious kids and all, finally tracked it down.. it was a place about two miles away and these boys had a serious band set-up and weren't afraid of eleven. The way I figured it, the sound bounced off the stratosphere and then came back down so we could hear it from so far away. good times

Back on the farm (old growth forest with a pasture) a long time ago we'd occasionally hear rock and roll music while we were outside dicking around. The nearest neighbor was like .25 mi away and it wasn't them. Well we, being curious kids and all, finally tracked it down.. it was a place about two miles away and these boys had a serious band set-up and weren't afraid of eleven. The way I figured it, the sound bounced off the stratosphere and then came back down so we could hear it from so far away. good times

H.A.R.P. Man.... HARP!

Just as long as there are no reports of distant, ominous banjo playing..
Fcache%2F1%2Fimage%2F9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95%2Fp%2Fa%2Fpaddle-faster-i-hear-banjos-base.png

Blasting a tree stump out of the ground?
Maybe. We've been doing some logging up here.

Kind of expensive to do anymore if you are not licensed for it - you have to find someone to do it for you.

The days of just going down to the hardware store and buying a case of dynamite are long gone.

My dad used to do that. When he retired and was packing stuff up, I came across a small packet of blasting caps in his toolbox (this was about 1990) and I told him he couldn't just keep them around anymore. He needed to find someone who was licensed and give them to him, or dispose of them. He cleared a bunch of acreage on our farm (just down the mountain from me) when he was 19, much of it was with dynamite to remove stumps.

When I was that age, I was working as a choker setter and I was also the powder monkey - I got to carry the dynamite sticks in a backpack while scrambling around setting chokers.

I could use some - I have a bunch of stumps I would like to get rid of. But I doubt my neighbors would appreciate the noise.

My parents live on the crooked river ranch near Redmond.
On the BLM land that connects to the CCR there's an access road, all gravel and pretty rough. We would go shooting there several times a summer since I was 10. Been shooting there for 20 years and then some jack wagon bought a house on the border of the BLM land.
EVERYTIME someone would shoot there he would call the police and say shots are flying over his head.

It happened to us one day. Two Deschutes Co deputies roll up. They wanted to see where we were shooting, what direction, etc.
I had my AR so they had to run the S/N for some reason.
And they just us why they were there and surprisingly they told us we were doing everything right and we could carry on!

After about 2 years of that they decided to close that area to shooting though.
More BLM B.S.

Apparently the BLM Fed cop was friends with this guy that called the cops all the time.

Yeah - I am sure this is some person who moved out here from the city who thinks any shots are somebody up to no good. Maybe he/she has a neighbor who plinks from time to time. Or maybe the person thinks if they complain enough they can get the person to stop shooting.

Poor sheriff needs to take time away from doing real law enforcement to go out and tell the person that no, it isn't illegal to shoot in the countryside.

Of course, I could be totally mistaken - maybe the person has a thousand acres and someone is shooting on his/her property without permission and he/she wants to stop the trespassing.

I live on a forested mountain (more of a high hill, but it is officially a mountain) in a more than rural area. People hunt up here, there are bears, cougar, deer and other wildlife. Housing is relatively sparse and there is a lot of forest. we are well outside the limits of any city or town, the nearest one being 5 miles down the mountain. There are no county ordinances/etc. on shooting up here.

I plan to sell my property in about 5 years when I retire and move further out, so occasionally I check out the estimated value of my property to inform my plans. The other day I was on Trulia to crosscheck the Zillow estimate and I noticed a section of their page had local crime reports in the area. So out of curiosity I looked at the reports. I noticed a curious crime report about 3 miles away on another part of the mountain - "shots fired". It seems that every couple of months someone at that location reports "shots fired".

:eek:

Gasp!

Shots fired on my mountain??

Is that what those sounds are about 500 meters on three sides of me from time to time?? I thought they were just a car backfiring - repeatedly, for hours on end.

Imagine that! Out here in the forest, on a peaceful mountain, someone is shooting at something! Just about all the time when the weather is halfway decent.

I wonder if I should be calling the sheriff?

:D

Ok what did I miss what am I being accused of here ?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top