JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few years ago (definitely less than 10) I bought a Stoeger Coach shotgun brand new at Bi-Mart.

I had it out today and as I looked at it, I realized I cannot find a serial number anywhere on the gun.

The only marks I've found are:
  • COACHGUN 12 GA. 3" CHAMBER
  • ER AMANTINO - MADE IN BRAZIL
  • STOEGER INC - ACCOKEEK MARYLAND
  • Stoeger Coach Gun in fancy print
  • Under the front wooden hand grip, "245-M" is written in ink (it's not visible unless you take the handguard off and look underneath it)
Otherewise, it's just blued metal and wood.

I thought every firearm was required to have a S/N...?

The only other shotgun I own (a Mossberg) has the normal engraved S/N. And every other pistol, rifle, and dirty brown milsurp imported from the far reaches of the globe has a S/N.

Am I missing something? Pretty sure the good folks at Bi-mart didn't file off the S/N...and if they did, they did an amazingly clean job ;)

You may have to disassemble and check here.

upload_2018-11-21_8-49-17.jpeg

The OP stated clearly he bought the gun less than 10 years ago brand new from Bi-Mart. Instead of comparing brainpans or swapping names let's help the OP. Last I knew 1968 was WAY more than 10 years ago.

Rule #1 everybody.

Yeah, less than 10 years old, it has to be there somewhere. The suggestion above is a good one. They may have just been creative where they put it.

Not true, many guns manufactured prior to 1968 did not have a serial #, because the BS 1968 Gun Control Act is what actually began requiring them:eek:

Ya beat me.

From the atf
"Instruction for Question(s) 24-28 (Formerly Question(s) 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30): Clarifies that these blocks must be completed with the firearms information. Also clarifies that all firearms manufactured after 1968 by Federal firearms licensees should be marked with a serial number."

Again...lets all please remember Rule Number 1 ...Be excellent to each other.

This is a simple thread...
Just where should the serial number be on a fairly current made Stoeger Side x Side shotgun...if you have an idea on that subject , then post it...
Andy

I agree he needs to look under the action for the serial number.

I do own a Winchester .22's that has no serial number having been produced in the late 1950's prior to the requirement. A model 121 (single shot bolt).

A few years ago (definitely less than 10) I bought a Stoeger Coach shotgun brand new at Bi-Mart.

I had it out today and as I looked at it, I realized I cannot find a serial number anywhere on the gun.

• Under the front wooden hand grip, "245-M" is written in ink (it's not visible unless you take the handguard off and look underneath it)

The only other shotgun I own (a Mossberg) has the normal engraved S/N. And every other pistol, rifle, and dirty brown milsurp imported from the far reaches of the globe has a S/N.

Am I missing something? Pretty sure the good folks at Bi-mart didn't file off the S/N...and if they did, they did an amazingly clean job ;)
Have you inquired with Stoeger themselves?
Contact Us

Dean

It does surprise a lot of shooters how many guns have no serial number on them at all. Most are older guns manufactured and or imported before the gca of 1968. But even after 1968 manufacture or import some were not required. I'm a gunsmith not a lawyer so a lot of the law stuff you will need to research. Today, firearms that you manufacture personally for your own use and possession and cannot be sold or transferred don't have serial numbers. Strange fact but fact.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews