JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to get into a different kind of shooting (for me) and considering one of the shotgun disciplines. is it possible to buy just one gun to do skeet and trap and possibly hunting? Do I need an O/U or some other kind of specialized gun. If this turns out to be what kind of oil is best thread I promise I will kill it quick. If a O/U 12 gauge can do it all perfect. I hope so.

A 12 gauge O/U will work great for everything you are trying to do. Interchangeable chokes will make it easier to switch between disciplines but it can all be done without them as well.

Do you have a shotgun that can hold 2 or more rounds? It'll be perfect!

Try 5 Stand. It's fun too!

I run trap, skeet, 5Stand and 3 gun with the same shotguns, either a 20ga Saiga with a rear end conversion and a modified choke or a Vepr12 with a big bubblegum brake. Only a couple people have yelled at me for the brake and in their defense it was under a cover. Sometimes I'll go do 5 Stand with my full AK74 spec (in beautiful wood furniture) 410 Saiga to watch the old farts squirm. The 3 gun guys tried to yell at me for having a rifle on a shotgun stage then felt dumb when colored hulls were in the mag.

Go try all the diciplines, learn from the old guys that have done it forever and have fun!

For trap, skeet and hunting, 12 gauge O/U would be the way to go. As for which one, that's going to come down to which one fits you best. Browning's and Beretta's come to mind. Personally, I'd stick with brand names that have known reputations. Then look into specifics of each model. You'll need to know what length of pull, drop at comb and casting (on or off) you need for a proper mount and follow through.

I'd recommend finding a trap/skeet club close to you, most likely they have a resident instructor who can help getting the specifics identified for you, then it's a matter of finding the one that mounts and swings perfectly for you.

It sounds complex, but really isn't. Proper fitment will give you more comfort, accuracy and satisfaction in these games, rather than growing frustrated... Just one schmicks opinion and worth every penny paid for it.

I'd recommend finding a trap/skeet club close to you, most likely they have a resident instructor who can help getting the specifics identified for you, then it's a matter of finding the one that mounts and swings perfectly for you.

for sure i've been a member at tri county for years which is where I intend to shoot at. I just need the proper tools....to be honest length of pull, casting etc is beyond me BUT Browning and Beretta has stuck. I will look at those. thanks

uh VEPR 12 - this is not what I expected -
They are great shotguns. Not really set up for trap or sporting clays and the grouchy old farts at the trap range give you the evil eye. It's been quite effective at everything I've used it for. Doesn't point like a nice O/U for trap so a little bit more of a challenge.

I'm interested in the O/U recommendations here too as I love shotgun stuff.

A Browning or Berretta O/U shotgun will do all the tings you are asking and probably the most economically too. I havent been yet but I hear that Mid Valley Clays in Keizer has a great pro shop that rents shotguns and also helps in fitting a shotgun to you.

Last Edited:
Agreed with the others here, that it's " run what you brung" for the most part. I see guys shooting Remington semi-auto shotties at the trap range, and nobody gives it a second look.
On the over/under guns, don't discount an old Winchester 101, those are a pretty rockin o/u that points really well, at least for me, and the recoil is away from my face. They're also not horribly expensive, relative to those $2500 Brownings.

When I was young and poor, I used a Mossberg 500 pump gun. Learning to hit doubles with that was character building.

Lastly, I think both Mid Valley clays, and for sure Albany Trap Club have rentals, which I would highly recommend as a taster to see what you enjoy shooting. It would kinda suck to spend Browning or Beretta money, and then find out you really hate over/unders.

Edit to add: I see you're up in Vancouver, so disregard the specific trap ranges I mentioned... but the idea is still valid of try before you buy, at your local range.

They are great shotguns. Not really set up for trap or sporting clays and the grouchy old farts at the trap range give you the evil eye. It's been quite effective at everything I've used it for. Doesn't point like a nice O/U for trap so a little bit more of a challenge.

I'm interested in the O/U recommendations here too as I love shotgun stuff.
I beg to disagree, quite effective at the trap range lol. She out shoots all the old farts. I use the holosun with the eotch redical, smashes clays and ducks.

IMG_5399[1].JPG

back when I was doing Trap and 5 Stand with a buddy, the entire time I used a Mossberg 500 with the 28" barrel. No one gave me a second look at all. The last time I went the guy to my left had a beautiful Benelli, the guy on the right had probably a remington semi in full on turkey camo.

The Vepr and the Saiga point differently. My 20ga Saiga is much better for clays. Just handier, smaller, not as heavy.

Yours has a tragic case of "needs a rear end conversion"!
Totally agree, i've even got the BFP wood for it. But sometimes I want to get a wood sporting stock and confuse everyone even more.

LOL - ok I just checked the Beretta website. I see O/U for as high as 32k a gun down to 3K. a little sticker shock...wasn't expecting that, but I will keep looking. those guns are beautiful though.

If you look at the racks at most trap/skeet ranges you will see mostly Brownings. That tells me a great deal. Have fun making your decision, it is rather personal for different disciplines.

I would like to get into a different kind of shooting (for me) and considering one of the shotgun disciplines. is it possible to buy just one gun to do skeet and trap and possibly hunting? Do I need an O/U or some other kind of specialized gun. If this turns out to be what kind of oil is best thread I promise I will kill it quick. If a O/U 12 gauge can do it all perfect. I hope so.
Dang. I just sold a really nice Browning Citori set in four gauges with a hard case for $1775. Where were you last week?