JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My dad is retired and lives in pdx with me now. We used to shoot skeet back in the day and we talked about doing so again as a fun get together activity. He has an old shotgun that has been in our family for decades - a Winchester Model 42 410. He mentioned that people collect them and that he'd gotten several offers for it over the years.

The gun hasn't been used in probably 25 years and needs some work to get it back in action, so I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on someone local who would be able to take that kind of thing on, and perhaps help me sell it for what it might be worth. Otherwise I was going to take it somewhere to sell on consignment so we can get a newer shotgun for shooting clays.

I'm not set on selling it actually, although my dad seems to want to for some reason. He's more practical than nostalgic, but I think he'll change his mind once it is cleaned up/restored to its former glory, so if you can suggest anyone who would be good for that, someone who has a thing for old shotguns, I'll go that route.

You will regret selling anything that has been in your family like that. Shotgun's aren't that much go buy one and keep the heirloom. Check the classifieds here I'm sure someone has a shotgun for sale.

model42.jpg

This is what it can look like when restored. BTW .410 is a great gauge for skeet (meaning you can shoot clays close in with a skeet choke. The choke can be opened if need be.), rabbits, pheasant, quail, and even home defense.

A bit of info: "Refered to as Everbody's Sweetheart"
Model 42 Shotguns | Winchester Collector

I'm going to try and push for that option. Thanks everyone for your input.

Just do it. If you are of age and can pass the BCG, just save you $$ up til you can buy one and present it to him. Then you can ask him if he will pass the 42 down to you instead of selling it.

Another Velsey fanboy! He converted my Remington 870 duck gun into a HD shotgun! I'm very pleased at the results! :D

IMG_0191.JPG

By the way, great shotgun! Nobody could ever pry that out of my hands! :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads