JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My AR is sighted in at dead on at 100 yrds. now it makes sense, when i shoot shorter ranges (1-20 yrds) that the bullet impact is very low.

here comes the silly questions, is there a technique to have the line of sight and bullet impact not so great?

If it matters, i have a Redfield 3x9 on a lowrise nikon mount.

Now i watched this video again, because something just wasnt sitting right. now i am not calling this guy a liar, but his 100 yrd battle zero does the complete opposite of what my 100 yrd zer does.

his 100 yrd zero, at close ranges (25 and 50), the bullet impact is higher than the line of sight. when the reticle is on the red part, it hits about 2-3 inches higher. where my 100 yrd zero, bullet impact is 2-3 inches lower.

how does that work? it makes sense to me that the bullet impact would be lower on closer ranges.

maybe i am missing something, but how can we have 2 different outcomes?

On an A1 (for example) you "battle sight zero" at 25 meters. As has been stated the bore line is a couple inches below the sight line. If you are zeroed at 25 meters the round will be slightly higher by 2"-3" at 100 meters due to the bore and sight line differences, but you will have the same POI at 250 meters due to the bullet reaching it's apex and starting its downwards path between 100 and 200 meters. Past 250 meters the bullet's trajectory continues downward, so you have to aim slightly higher for targets beyond 250 meters, and slightly lower for targets 50/75-100 meters.

This is/was the military standard (when I was in) for being able to adequately hit human sized targets consistently out to 300 meters. If you're looking to "drive tacks" at multiple ranges, then IMHO the AR (with 5.56) is typically not the right kit for that.

That should make it clear as mud for you! :D

Last Edited:
+1" @ 100 is where I've always sighted in rifles. I know my distances at that. I know closer I aim low and further I POA is POI to xyz yards given a 4" vitals.

Those videos are good information, even good to watch and brush up on other methods.

Here is a chart we can stare at and wonder about.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=495607
m855 and m193 100 yard zero from 20 inch barrel.jpg

You can either train to adjust your point of aim or re-zero your rifle. Those are really the two options. Yes,it's a bit of "Kentucky Windage" to adjust your POA for close encounters, but it's still plenty accurate for a take-down on a man-sized target.

Personally, I have my AR zeroed at 25 meters. I can change that any time I want in about 5 minutes, but it works at all the ranges I anticipate actually needing it for.

When I TRAIN with the AR, I adjust my POA to household ranges. (10-20 FEET). Because that's the range I anticipate I will mostly likely be using it on.

For longer range shooting (200-600 meters) I use a different gun. (My Lee Enfield) which shoots more accurately than the man behind the trigger and would be one of my "go-to" guns in the event of urban unrest when I'm taking shots out to 100 meters +. Besides, a .303 will put your bubblegum DOWN a lot better than 5.56.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top