JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do I ship ammunition - I have contacted UPS Stores the won't do it - I have contacted UPS customer service and they seem to think that I need a contract with them. I really am stumped. Trying to get this stuff down to Eugene Oregon. Any ideas before I pull the bullets and primers and ship as components?

You have to go to this address to ship ammo through UPS: 6235 N Basin Ave, Portland, OR 97217

The "UPS stores" are not UPS.

And you have to print out this label to tape to the box, approximately 4"x4". Must go ground. That's all there is to it.

7BD2F5CC-B978-4FA3-AD99-9257406BBC1B.jpeg

Shipping Firearms and Ammunition | UPS

Special Procedures for Shipping Ammunition
UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material. Ammunition cannot be shipped where it exceeds 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifles or handguns or 8 gauge for shotguns. The package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg). The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing ammunition complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Use These UPS Services for Your Ammunition Shipment
In order to meet the exception for "Limited Quantities" shipments or ORM-D materials, which are not subject to the shipping paper requirements of subpart C of part 172 of 49 CFR, ammunition can only be shipped via UPS Ground, and only within the 48 contiguous United States, or via UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska. Shipments of ammunition with other UPS services must be prepared as a fully regulated hazardous material and are available only on a contractual basis.

Ammunition is not accepted for shipment internationally.

Packing and Labeling Requirements for Ammunition
All ammunition must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Ammunition must be packed with internal boxes or partitioning or in metal clips. The internal boxes, partitions or clips must fit snugly into the external packaging that is securely closed so that it cannot open during transportation. Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. Part 172, et seq. regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. For additional information regarding packaging and labeling requirements, refer to "How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)," at the link below, or contact UPS.

How to Ship Ammunition

Getting Your Ammunition Shipment to UPS
Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.

Domestic Cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORMD packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth above, in the "How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)" guidelines, and in the UPS Terms) may be delivered by UPS to a third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States. See the UPS Terms for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.

Thanks guys I have been on the ups site - I did that before calling them and posting. I tried to do my homework up front. I think quartetmaster has it nailed. Going to try and call them.

I don't know if it's against the rules or not ... but I've taken prepaid packages bearing ammo and dropped them off at UPS stores. The fee had been paid and proper ORM-D labels were attached so I just walked in and said, I'm dropping this off. They have said, no problem, thanks for coming by.

Perhaps I've been lucky?

I don't know if it's against the rules or not ... but I've taken prepaid packages bearing ammo and dropped them off at UPS stores. The fee had been paid and proper ORM-D labels were attached so I just walked in and said, I'm dropping this off. They have said, no problem, thanks for coming by.

Perhaps I've been lucky?

As with shipping a firearm it's all in what you say. Even at the hubs you will often run into trouble. Many emplyee's don't know what is going on and will make stuff up out of fear. Not to mention what they are going to want to charge you.

How do I ship ammunition - I have contacted UPS Stores the won't do it - I have contacted UPS customer service and they seem to think that I need a contract with them. I really am stumped. Trying to get this stuff down to Eugene Oregon. Any ideas before I pull the bullets and primers and ship as components?
How much and why? If it's not a lot of it the cost and hassle will most likely make it not worth bothering.

You have to go to this address to ship ammo through UPS: 6235 N Basin Ave, Portland, OR 97217

The "UPS stores" are not UPS.

And you have to print out this label to tape to the box, approximately 4"x4". Must go ground. That's all there is to it.

View attachment 462588
This ^^^

For future reference, The "UPS stores" are not UPS.
Please make a note of it.

:)

... Note: Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location...

I don't know if it's against the rules or not ...

So I've read wired's post more carefully. I have been lucky in the past. Good to know so I don't cause a problem in the future.

So I've read wired's post more carefully. I have been lucky in the past. Good to know so I don't cause a problem in the future.
Just as with shipping a firearm it's all in the "rules". The biggest problem is even with the hub it is common to run into an employee who "thinks" they know the rules. Often these people will tell you about some Federal law that does not exist. It's why If I have to ship a firearm I will only do it one of 2 ways. Either not tell them what it is, or use an FFL and pay them to do it. Individuals can and do ship guns all the time. It's a lot like flying with a gun. Just because you "hear" how easy it is does not mean it will be like that when you try. For ammo I would not bother. Even not telling them what it is the weight makes it expensive. The big places sell it as cheap as they do because they get a huge discount.

With guns I "tell" them what it is as required when I fill out the paperwork online in the comments section. Then I drop it off at the hub on the way home without saying a word. Actually since I discovered shipmygun.com I don't do that dance any more.

The ammo that was shipped was 38-55 and the dies. I was successful going through a UPS service center and next day ground was 16$. A price I thought was fair. I am smarter now than before this adventure started. Thanks to all of you for the info.

It's funny but the lady at the ups center neither required the markings or the diagnal on the box. Figured she knew more than I did.

I've never had problems shipping guns or flying with guns for that matter (I fly out 12 - 15 times per year with a gun). I've also never had problems shipping ammo ... but I try to follow all the rules all the time, so I won't be dropping off ammo at UPS Stores from now on. It's not like I ship ammo much anyway, just the occasional gun broker sale but I don't want the hassle of a denied shipment.

I'm an ammunition manufacturer so ship ammo often. It took a couple fumbles to make the process smooth but now I drop of at the hub and they ask if this is a repeat customer or a new one. The couple of fumbles were easily resolved and were the proper hazmat labeling and the weight of the cardboard for the boxes.

Its funny you mention mistakes - I dropped off the ammunition at the hub Wednesday night expecting it to be delivered yesterday. I checked last night and they are returning it to me - very frustrated. This was part of a trade and I have never had so much problems before doing this. I am thinking that I am just going to pull the bullets and send just the cases and the bullets and include 40$ in the box to cover the powder and primer. The problem now is he wont get it till Wednesday with the holiday. I have learned that if I ever trade another time that includes ammo it will be local. The guy on the other side is a great guy but I certainly don't deserve positive feed back on this trade. To drive down and back would take 8 hours - just a little to far to drive and I am oncall for my company.:(

Did they say why they wouldn't ship? I guess I'm thinking if they didn't sticker it properly could you bring it back for the correction, the have the stickers there. My sticker issue was I had an older outdated style but they had the current ones and just pealed mine off and installed the right one. One other choice is to meet half way at a rest stop or something or if there is no hurry how about meeting at the Rickreall Gun Show in 2 weeks.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews