JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Starting this thread with the specific goal of reporting official policies and letters from sheriffs offices throughout the state. We already know that Michelle Duncan, Linn County Sheriff has already responded in an official manner.

Please email your sheriffs to get an official response, and then post the answers so we can get that information on record. I can act as a clearinghouse to get the information to the people asking for it.

Thanks.

I'm not aware of Douglas County saying anything, but they refused to enforce the mask mandate, so I'll say they're on board.

They did come out and say they won't enforce the P2P backgrounds too.

In your emails, might want to ask how they will handle the issue of off duty officers. Under 114, once they are off duty, they can't have magazines over 10 round capacity. Will be interesting to see their responses.

This is the email that I sent to Sheriff Joe Kast in Marion County:

Sheriff Kast,
With ballot measure 114 on the verge of passing, the subject of funding and enforcement are coming into play. As a citizen of Marion County, I am very concerned about the ability of Marion County to implement the permitting process and the resulting costs, and also about the magazine capacity issue.
Does the Marion County Sheriffs Department have the personnel and financial resources to implement the permitting process? Do you intend to implement a permitting process for the county? Do you intend to enforce the ban on magazines with greater than ten round capacity for those with a CHL, or the population in general?
How will you address the issue of off duty law enforcement personnel, officers of the court, or anyone else that carries a firearm as a part of their job not being able to have the magazines while not in the performance of their official duties?
I appreciate the complexity of the issues and the burden it places on you and your staff.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,

Keep in mind that these letters are not for harassment. The intent is to solicit their opinions and their intended actions. They have a difficult job ahead of them.

In your emails, might want to ask how they will handle the issue of off duty officers. Under 114, once they are off duty, they can't have magazines over 10 round capacity. Will be interesting to see their responses.
The simplest route would be duty handguns and mags stay at the armory/department Armorer, off duty guns can only be revolvers or those with 10 round mags/smaller capacity? 1911s?

The simplest route would be duty handguns and mags stay at the armory/department Armorer, off duty guns can only be revolvers or those with 10 round mags/smaller capacity? 1911s?
Another unfunded deal - a lot of departments have no armory or safe room aside from the property room - officers supply their own firearms and duty gear. What do you do with the guns those officers own themselves and use for work? The simple answer is they will say that because in Oregon, a law enforcement officer has authority statewide, 24/7 even off the clock - and that they are all subject to callout in an emergency, then they are never fully "off duty" and thus they must remain in possession of their duty weapon and have the ability to show up if called out fully prepared. The police most certainly won't be enforcing 114 against their own, even if they enforce it against the regular citizenry.

Another unfunded deal - a lot of departments have no armory or safe room aside from the property room - officers supply their own firearms and duty gear. What do you do with the guns those officers own themselves and use for work? The simple answer is they will say that because in Oregon, a law enforcement officer has authority statewide, 24/7 even off the clock - and that they are all subject to callout in an emergency, then they are never fully "off duty" and thus they must remain in possession of their duty weapon and have the ability to show up if called out fully prepared. The police most certainly won't be enforcing 114 against their own, even if they enforce it against the regular citizenry.
Dang it. I was expecting to see about 20 deputies in a circle putting handcuffs on each other!

How dumb; off duty officers can not carry standard cap mags over ten rounds. How stupid.
There is NOTHING about this law that isn't stupid. It's 100% feel good chock full of unintended consequences that will cost innocent lives while emboldening gangs and other criminals.

Has anyone else written an email to their sheriff? This is not the time to sit on our collective rear ends while the world goes by.
[email protected] is the official email address for Marion county. All other counties in Oregon will be similar. It'll take more than one person asking to get them to put something on the record. I'd hate to see us lose twice because of lack of participation.

How dumb; off duty officers can not carry standard cap mags over ten rounds. How stupid.
Not stupid in any way. If we, the "regular citizens", have to abide by the 10 rd. limit, then they do also. I have long said that whatever gun control laws are passed then they need to apply to LEOs and military.

Jack

Not stupid in any way. If we, the "regular citizens", have to abide by the 10 rd. limit, then they do also. I have long said that whatever gun control laws are passed then they need to apply to LEOs and military.

Jack
Giving more rights or less restrictions to LE with unconstitutional gun laws when not on duty is a terrible idea. If LE needs more capacity to protect themselves when not on duty, so should any citizen.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews