JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was in the Multnomah office last thursday and they cranked out me and 2 others in about :20 minutes. I was originally quoted at a 5 week wait to get into the office, but it only took about 2. I am impressed with their office's ability so far. Marion County should be doing more to protect their citizens.

Oregon is "shall issue" and state law says that the permit must be issued or denied within 45 days of application. Your applicant can only be accepted when you go in person to the county courthouse for fingerprinting. It appear as though the sheriff is getting around the requirement of 45 days by limiting the number of application appointments and thus delaying an opportunity to apply. Next issue is the fingerprint process. Since the state runs the backgound check, the state police can reject the applicants fingerprints (taken by the county) and require that they make an appointment at the state police office and pay a fee for "acceptable" fingerprints in an electronic format.

I don't know anything that would indicate that the sheriff is opposed to issuing the licenses but it appears that the office is finding ways to limit the number issued.

That's what I like about Lane County. It's a walk-in, first come first serve basis, just have all your paperwork filled out and printed off before going. Depending on the time of day of the week (early morning/middle of the week) you can be in and out in less then an hour. My turn around time was about 3 weeks, but with the surge it might be a little longer now.

I wonder about status checks...Clackamas has a link but it's broken, Multnomah doesn't say anything...Seems like in this day and age it should be automatic to be able to do a status check. Never should have let it expire..

I would call and complain. A county that size should be a lot more efficient. Maybe write a letter, let him know his re-election may be in jeopardy if he treats the public this way. Glad I live on the other side of the bridge, Polk County is much easier.

I read the article, I don't see anywhere that says they're only doing three applications per day. My wife called MCSO today to get an appointment, the first day they had was May 1st, but she had the option of pretty much any time of the day in 15 minute increments.

Where are you getting the "only doing 3 applications per day" idea?

Go to Yamhill County McMinnville Those guys are great. Sheriff Crabtree is big on privacy and 2A

Concealed Handgun Licenses
MUST BE DONE IN PERSON
NEW concealed handgun license applications are taken on Wednesdays from 9:00 to 11:00am, and Fridays from 2:00 to 4:00pm. Please bring your Certificate of Training.
If you take an online course, you will need to be sure that the Instructor NRA or Law Enforcement Certification Number is on the printed Training Certificate!
You will be asked for two forms of identification. One has to be an Oregon Driver License or ID card; other examples of ID include but are not limited to: a US Passport, Costco Card, Medical Insurance Card, Military ID, Bi-Mart card or an Employee ID Card.
COSTS: We accept cash, check, credit or debit
First Time Permit $65.00 Permit Renewals $50.00
Replacing a Lost Permit $15.00 Change of Address $15.00
RENEWALS – You may renew no sooner than 30 days or less left prior to your license expiration. No appointment is necessary, and renewals are processed M – F from 8:00am to 5:00pm, during which you will be photographed.
For any additional questions or more information, please call 503-434-7506.

You all don't know how good CLACKAMAS county is!

Take your course (the Free online Maryland course counts), fill out application online. After submitting application, the website will schedule you an appointment. When I filled mine out, and later my girflriend filled out hers, we both got appointments THE SAME DAY! We went in, brought some basic required information, and were done! For me the entire process took 4 hours from deciding I'd finally get mine, 1.5 of which included drive down from Mt. Hood!

Clackamas County is the model of effeciency. They were thorough, they were organized, they were streamlined, they used modern technology, and you had to march right through the sherriffs department and through the armory (full of sherriffs and sheriffs in training) to get it. I'd like to see a criminal walk through there and not throw any red flags!

EDIT: This was a year ago. I bet they're a bit more backed up now!

The 3 per day is derived from 'X' number of working days until April divided by the 188 appointments they say the have booked.

It's to bad you have to go thru the sheriff in your county of residence. Seems like some counties are better at taking care of this public need.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using <broken link removed>

Another interesting data point from that news article......

About 1 out of every 33 people in Marion county has a CHL.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using <broken link removed>

The Marion County sheriff is only doing 3 applications per day.
They're booked out until April for appointments.

<broken link removed>

I ran into this problem today... Called the Marion county sheriffs office to make an appointment for finger printing and the lady that answered the phone said "oh yes we can make you an appointment...our next available appointment is June 26th". Are you kidding me JUNE 26th!!!! That's a 5 month wait to get finger printed. Ridiculous!

Is there any work around for this that anyone has found? It is my understanding that you must apply in the county you live in so I don't see any other options. Help please.

I ran into this problem today... Called the Marion county sheriffs office to make an appointment for finger printing and the lady that answered the phone said "oh yes we can make you an appointment...our next available appointment is June 26th". Are you kidding me JUNE 26th!!!! That's a 5 month wait to get finger printed. Ridiculous!

Is there any work around for this that anyone has found? It is my understanding that you must apply in the county you live in so I don't see any other options. Help please.

Your correct, you have to apply in the County you live in.

Your "possible" work around might to be see if you can get your prints taken at OSP ID Bureau, and then submit your application, but you would still need your photo taken, which might be part of the appointment.

And for whats its worth, MCSO has been doing CHL by appointments for at least 4 years, probably more.

Your correct, you have to apply in the County you live in.

Your "possible" work around might to be see if you can get your prints taken at OSP ID Bureau, and then submit your application, but you would still need your photo taken, which might be part of the appointment.

And for whats its worth, MCSO has been doing CHL by appointments for at least 4 years, probably more.

Ya that was the first thing I tried. They said they will not accept it from OSP it must be done by Marion county sheriffs dept. which I think is such bs since OSP is who the background check is done by that you are getting the fingerprinting done for.

I had my finger printing done on December 19,2012 for my concealed carry. It's now past the 45 th day. My fiancé went in 9 days prior and if you count the same day he went in his was here exactly on the 45 th day. I can honestly say I am not happy. The lady said they have exactly 45 days by the law to either permit or deny. So it looks like on Monday after I get the kids off to school I have to call because she said if after the 45 th day it does not come then to call ( she said but that had never happened) from different things I have read that statement from her is not true.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top