JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently took possession of this, It belonged to my great grandfather. I have handled a few real Sharps rifles before but I really dont know the first thing about this or any other.

From a bit of poking around I think this is a model 1874, probably what they call a "Business" rifle The condition is poor, Its missing the front sight blade and the wood is rough. It appears to be complete and functions (not fire, just all the moving parts jive)

Do you know where I could expect to find the serial number?

Also any way to determine the chamber short of casting some cerrometal in there? It looks like the cartridge is necked and freakin long, 3" maybe?

So what can you tell me about it? This is one of three rifles that I got that belonged to my great grandfather. He had another Sharps that is in much better condition that I should get soon. The story on it was it was promoted by Wild Bill Hickok, It has a brass plate set in the stock that says something about it Bill Hickok anyway. I believe it is a 1874 as well but a longer version with the provision for the long distant sights sharps5.JPG sharps4.jpg sharps3.jpg sharps2.JPG sharps1.jpg

Last Edited:
I recently took possession of this, It belonged to my great grandfather. I have handled a few real Sharps rifles before but I really dont know the first thing about this or any other.

From a bit of poking around I think this is a model 1874, probably what they call a "Business" rifle The condition is poor, Its missing the front sight blade and the wood is rough. It appears to be complete and functions (not fire, just all the moving parts jive)

Do you know where I could expect to find the serial number?

Also any way to determine the chamber short of casting some cerrometal in there? It looks like the cartridge is necked and freakin long, 3" maybe?

So what can you tell me about it? This is one of three rifles that I got that belonged to my great grandfather. He had another Sharps that is in much better condition that I should get soon. The story on it was it was once owned by Wild Bill Hickok, It has a brass plate set in the stock that says something about it Bill Hickok anyway. I believe it is a 1874 as well but a longer version with the provision for the long distant sightsView attachment 115326 View attachment 115325 View attachment 115324 View attachment 115323 View attachment 115322

Some interesting info on the old sharps and other single shot rifles of that era.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/fro...30-dec-2-sharps-rolling-blocks-trapdoors-etc/

Lots to see out there on the Sharps Rifles
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sha...&sa=X&ei=ALx2VOOhJ8T8igKvxoAY&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw

Last Edited:
IM, you can call it ugly if you want, but it looks pretty to me. Sorry that I don't have anything else to contribute, as I know very little about Sharps rifles. Well, other than that if someone offers you a chance to shoot a 45-110, do it. :cool:

I worked with a guy who was married to a direct descendant of Wild Bill.
Her brother inherited some of his guns and memorabilia.
I never did get the chance to see them, wish I had though.
Nice to see you got some cool firearms.

Original Sharps cartridges in 40 caliber range from the 40-50-265 Bottleneck to the 40-90-370 Straight.

The Business Rifle was brought out in 1876 and offered in calibers 40-70 and 45-75 Sharps.

A 40-70 Sharps Bottleneck has a case length of 2 1/4"

A 40-70 Sharps Straight has a case length 0f 2 1/2"

A 40-90 Sharps Bottleneck has a case length of 2 5/8"

A 40-90 Sharps Straight has a case length of 3 1/4" (There is conflicting information as to whether this cartridge was an original Sharps offering)

If readable the cartridge, including case length, should be marked on the top of the barrel near the receiver.

I envy you your possession. :)

Anybody have a comment on the butt? I am reasonably sure it is a modification, strange to say the least. It does hug your shoulder quite well but I bet the bump is significant :)

IMG_6302.JPG

Many people preferred that style of butt plate and they placed it on the upper arm between the bicep and the shoulder when shooting. I have a 36 caliber muzzleloading target rifle with the same style of butt plate and it is quite comfortable to shoot. It does not have near the recoil of your fine Sharps though.

I don't know much about Sharps rifles but I'll contribute where I can....Sharps rifles were basically produced from a "custom" shop. Each rifle was highly customizable and while many of the rifles types (business, mid-range, sporting, express etc.) all had similar characteristics they could be altered to meet the needs of the owner or the particular store ordering.

Based upon what I'm observing (and some of the details are missing or fussy from the photos) it "could" be a Business Rifle BUT...the Business Rifle was a low-end rifle to fill the demand for cheaper than sporting rifles in a booming market (sorta like AR of today). Your rifle has some higher-end features which makes one cautiously suspicious it is a Business. Business rifles were produced from August 1976 to Sept 1880 in Bridgeport. From what I can tell it "appears" your rifle is a Bridgeport rifle from the markings.

Business rifles had 28" ROUND barrels with a rifle buttplate. Very few variations were made on this rifle because it was the low-end mass produced rifle in its day. About 100 26" and 30" barrels and only 10 (yep that's right) 10 each in octagon were made. So if your rifle is a Business it is in the extreme rare category.

The issues discounting it from being a Business rifle is the octagon barrel, the mid-range style butt plate, the rear sight, and the Bridgeport style Schnabble forearm which leads me to believe this is indeed a Bridgeport rifle but maybe not the Business. The Business rifle didn't have a Schnabble forearm...it was rounded and tapered toward the barrel rather than having a lip protrude down like on your rifle. All rifles produced appear as "CALIBRE 40". If CALIBRE is missing and it just says "40" then it is a customized Business rifle as it never had CALIBRE. The case length and/or powder charge appears on the side of the barrel. So see if you can find this!

There is one known '74 Business that looks very similar to yours except for the buttstock. Indeed your buttstock could be an add-on. It has the same rear sight, octagon barrel and Schnabble forearm - Serial Number 160,625.

I'm uncertain where ogre obtained his data and I'm not contradicting him but it is my understanding the Business Rifle only came in three standard calibers - 40/70 2 1/4" Bottle Neck until March 1878 and 40/65 2 1/2" straight thereafter. And of course 45/70 2.1" straight. 900 45's were produced, and 700 40s (both cartridges). Six 50 cals were made according to factory records. So if yours is a Business then it must be the 40/70 2 1/4" Bottle Neck. Again, it should be marked on the rifle. I only hope this helps.

Last Edited:
I like the fact that you preface your statement with "I dont know much" and then basically lay out a hundred times more info than anyone I have been able to come across :D

I does say Calibre 40. It also says "Sharps Rifle Co Bridgeport" right behind it. I found online someplace that only 441 1874's where made in Bridgeport?

I will dig it out while I am at the shop tomorrow and see if I can find a serial number and the case length info

Are there any other specific photos I could take that would help identify it further?

Thanks!

Many people preferred that style of butt plate and they placed it on the upper arm between the bicep and the shoulder when shooting. I have a 36 caliber muzzleloading target rifle with the same style of butt plate and it is quite comfortable to shoot. It does not have near the recoil of your fine Sharps though.

Its an ERA thing.
I have an old 94 Win with a curved Butt Plate.
A turn of the century thing on many rifles.
Some of the old Sharps, and then look at the Schutzen Styles.

https://www.google.com/search?num=1...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=tDV4VKL4Dcj4igLTzIHwBQ

I found online someplace that only 441 1874's where made in Bridgeport?

Not sure where the "441" number derives from...there were 1,600 Business rifles all produced in Bridgeport. 900 45's, 700 40's and six 50's just in the Business model alone. Other models were produced in Bridgeport as well including the Long-Range, Mid-Range, Schuetzen, Express, and around 3,000 Sporting rifles made there.

When you go to the shop look for two numbers on the side of the barrel. One will mark the black powder charge and the other the length of the cartridge. In these older black powder cartridge rifles it is critical to get the case length. Back in the day the common vernacular wasn't to say "I'm shooting a 45-70" but rather "I'm shooting a 45 two and one eighth".

Last Edited:
Ok, I don't see any case info, you can see where the patent info is on the side of the receiver but it's not really legible. I did find a number on the underside of the barrel which I assume must be the serial number?
I can't find the number on the receiver. image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads