JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$2000
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
44 Magnum
City
Shoreline
State
Washington
Zip Code
IMG_3407.jpeg IMG_3412.jpeg IMG_3408.jpeg IMG_3409.jpeg IMG_3410.jpeg IMG_3411.jpeg IMG_3413.jpeg IMG_3414.jpeg

I'm listing my Sharps 44 Calibre Rifle for sale. Honestly I don't know much about it. It was part of a collection I inherited from my wife's Grandfather. I've never shot it. It's just been sitting in the safe so I thought I'd pass it along to somebody that would actually shoot it and enjoy it. Priced as a reproduction because I can't imagine it's an original. $2000 OBO.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
I think*you have a original , as in antique Sharps rifle , Model 1869 , made some time before 1876.
( 1876 was when they moved to Bridgeport Conn. )

As far as the cartridge...
The .44 could be : .44 2 1/4 ( .44 /77 or .44 Sharps ) same cartridge...different names.
Andy
* Based on the markings and the overall look of the rifle...versus how the various replicas and even reproductions look.
Also basing this on my experience with antique firearms....if it were mine...I'd do some more research , before selling.

Last Edited:
chamber cast time. I would bet nothing in a modern caliber that would fit a hand gun.
looking at your pics......I really feel like you got the real deal in your hands. not only does the overall metal work show period age, there is the muzzle end corrosive burn in the barrel and when was the last time someone indexed marked a barrel to frame mark like that? can also say that in my time, I have never ran across metal stamps with that font.
Wish I had 2K laying around right now!

My money is on 44-70. The metal has more of an iron look than it does steel. Especially the bore. Could indeed be a "sporting" model by the look of the fore end metal. Some research is warranted, if genuine could be worth double what he is asking, possibly more. Possibly a treasure the grandfather wanted to hand down.
I sent the OP a message, hope he pulls it. Before some yahoo buys it mounts an rmr on it and tries to fire 44mag in it.

the more I look at the photos, the more I think it is genuine. I am a bit puzzled by the left side receiver markings. More research!

Last Edited:
My 2 cents I would go with Andy here! Looking at the pics the pitting at the muzzle, wood around the receiver and general markings make me think original. I would "guess" it has been refinished but thats just my thoughts. More research would be in order as some of the repros are very well done.
Now if I could talk the wife out of 2k I'd let you know what I could find out!

Well I'm dying to see how this turns out! It's a shame the OP posted and hasn't come back yet. He was here at 11:25am this morning. Sure hope he didn't sell it if it is the real thing.

Haven't sold it. And won't be until I do more research and know what I got here. Thank you to all that have commented and sent messages. Y'all are a good group of people!

Haven't sold it. And won't be until I do more research and know what I got here. Thank you to all that have commented and sent messages. Y'all are a good group of people!
Stay in in touch on this thread, yeah? Good luck man!

A few of you wanted to be updated on this rifle. After having it reviewed by Rock Island, they put the potential value at auction at $3K to $5K. So I've decided auction it though them. Not sure when or what auction it will be in yet(they have a number of different auctions through out the year), but I'll update further when I know more. Again thank you to all who messaged me and encouraged me to look in to this rifle more.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top