JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alright Uri-Ki, this one's for you.

It was 1972 when my tank platoon was bivouacked in the open for an assembly about 4 pm one sunny summer day at a training ground in Bavaria (not far from the East German border at that time) And those of us left on the tanks on radio watch were setting on the top of the turret watching an artillery barrage out in the valley(dear God!) BOOM.......ROAAAR..... and we were all literally vibrated to our very core looking straight up into the yellow afterburners of an F4 doing victory rolls right over our heads heading right for the sun itself! I thought about the letter my parents would have received about their oldest son leaving earthly life in the blink of an eye. We didn't see nor hear that jet coming. They had to be just above tree tops till they nailed us.

Those two jocks flew back to Rhine-Maine AB for a hot shower and steak and lobster at the officers club while we were left to contemplate our demise over a can of ham and lima beans or some other disgusting excuse for combat rations.

As a gunner on an M60 tank at that time, this incident solidified my resolve to make the first shot, and make it the accurate shot fired, in whatever encounter we met.

We had one armored Division to stop the 10 divisions the Soviet 8th Guards had across the Iron Curtain. Short of nuclear action, the Division Commander had what the strategists determined was two days of intense ground combat, and a final day of sporadic resistance as fuel and ammo ran out among individual crews before the General no longer had a command.

Thinking about the new team players in this "game", the thought of another Cold War scares me to death.

I want you guys to know, it's an honor to be here with members that have served in the armed forces. :s0152:

One of the early posts in the thread brought back something....My high school had a gymnasium separate from the high school. School was built in 1962 It was pretty much in a rural setting and was a large school. There were two huge long rooms under the basket ball floor. One was dirt floor and the other concrete floor. Now I remember there were bomb shelter signs directing people down the stairs to these rooms. Other than that I don't recall any drop and cover stuff from the other schools. I graduated in 1973. I missed the Viet Nam draft by two weeks thank's to Richard Nixon. So, no matter what people say about him he kept me from that mess.

I remember I was in 6th grade when the Berlin Wall came down. We had a long discussion in class about the significance of the event, the teacher even wheeled in a television so we could watch the party. Seeing all those Germans dancing and celebrating was a sight I won't ever forget, even if it was taking place thousands of miles away and I was watching it on a screen.
My friend and I blasted pink floyd's "the wall" at maximum volume in his basement that night.
Meeeeemoriesss......

I do remember a few "Pep Talks" we would get every few months, the ones where they told us the "war" would be decided in about 36 hours, and every one in the Hot Zone would be killed and that area would be a wastland for a thousand years! They told us that we might as well take as many of those Nasty Commies with us on the way out cause none of us would be coming home if the shooting ever started!

I remember I was in 6th grade when the Berlin Wall came down. We had a long discussion in class about the significance of the event, the teacher even wheeled in a television so we could watch the party. Seeing all those Germans dancing and celebrating was a sight I won't ever forget, even if it was taking place thousands of miles away and I was watching it on a screen.
My friend and I blasted pink floyd's "the wall" at maximum volume in his basement that night.
Meeeeemoriesss......
I always thought it so odd that the Berlin wall was built during the Kennedy administration, and came down during the GHW Bush administration, yet JFK's admin is remembered fondly by the media and the country for its foreign policy, while papa Bush gets vilified regularly.

Maybe if there is another cold war, we'll at least have another generation or two that will understand just how bad things can get from a global strategic standpoint, and what the threat of global annihilation really looks and feels like.
Maybe then they'll begin to understand that true peace is only achievable through strength.
Enlightenment is fine, but it only works when all sides at the table share in it.

I remember a quote by Dr. Carl Sagan Carl Sagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia regarding nuclear proliferation:

"The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies (US and Russia) standing knee deep in gasoline, one with three matches and the other with five."

Just takes one stupid enough to think they can light one (Iran, N. Korea....?) and get away with it.

Smart money would be on one of the Loose Canon's in the world and NOT Russia starting things off. If I were a betting man, I would say ether N. Korea, or Iran ( maybe China?)would push the button first. Russia has to make the world think they are serious enough, so that we listen to their demands that way because we wont negotiate with them any other way! Never did, probably never will!

Smart money would be on one of the Loose Canon's in the world and NOT Russia starting things off. If I were a betting man, I would say ether N. Korea, or Iran ( maybe China?)would push the button first. Russia has to make the world think they are serious enough, so that we listen to their demands that way because we wont negotiate with them any other way! Never did, probably never will!

I caught 60 minutes (I know, CBS news) a couple weeks ago, and they were talking with some of the Commanders and Admirals, and they have been training for Russia as the current biggest thread. They were saying that the attitude within the Russian government is that of an increased willingness to use nukes because they view the west as weak and would certainly back down if they were to use them rather than the old school "mutual assured destruction". Also they don't see them as an unthinkable measure but as just another tool in their arsenal.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...clear-attack-rises/?client=ms-android-verizon

setting some where we werent suppose to be on a sonar stack and picking up a delta3 class boomer coming out of port being deloused by a Victor 3
Knowing very well how much trouble we would be in if they knew we were there. Several decades ago. Read Blind mans bluff.

Borderline millennial, but came along early enough and raised by old-line Cold Warriors well enough to know that the only good Vladimir Putin is one with a bayonet stuck in his gut and his severed head mounted over my fireplace, genitals stuffed in the mouth.

The KGB had a hit on one of my old profs, so I take the fact that any of those evil vermin continue to merely draw breath as a grievous personal insult. Smiert Shpionam!

USAF '57 Western Germany. We were told we were 9 minutes flight time from Russia.:eek::eek::eek:
Then, they handed out empty carbines and bayonets every time there was an alert so we could patrol flight line perimeters in the snow.:rolleyes: o_O

USAF '57 Western Germany. We were told we were 9 minutes flight time from Russia.:eek::eek::eek:
Then, they handed out empty carbines and bayonets every time there was an alert so we could patrol flight line perimeters in the snow.:rolleyes: o_O
I was at a tank gunnery exercise at Grafenwohr back in '77 and they did the same with us due to a "credible threat" of Baeder-Mayhoff activity. That's when I realized the threat was a joke; no ammo but a bayonet. Military Intelligence is an oxymoron.

Another memory. During a REFORGER, three of our tanks blocked in a SMLM (Soviet Military Liason Mission) vehicle on the side of the road; Colonel Ivan wasn't going anywhere until all the required circus act was completed. Everyone knew SMLM were spies but, by treaty, we couldn't do anything to them.

I was at a tank gunnery exercise at Grafenwohr back in '77 and they did the same with us due to a "credible threat" of Baeder-Mayhoff activity. That's when I realized the threat was a joke; no ammo but a bayonet. Military Intelligence is an oxymoron.

Hey! As a former MI guy I resemble that remark!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top