JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, here it is. the rings are set for 20 MOA and I have about 0.2" under the sunshade
I haven't shot it yet, that's for Douglas Ridge on Saturday.

It looks a bit odd being that far forward but it really helps with the eye relief. Eventually I will extend the stock for my height.

I'm pretty sure I will still need a cheek rest.

newmount1_zpsf68ea39d.jpg

newmount2_zpse2a2ddc5.jpg

MUCH better! Using Serbian range ammo typical groups were 1 MOA

I should see a significant improvement once I work up a hand load.

As you can see 20MOA brought my zero way down. (This scope is MIL)

Much better. :) I'm I reading that right, about 1.5 rotations lower overall up adjustment? Sounds good to me.

As for loads, you should find a box of Federal Gold Medal Match and see how it works for you. Though, if you are going to work up your own loads you might save the money. I've always found the that the FGMM in 175grain BTHP is pretty amazing ammo.

A little bit of reach, I only lowered it about 1/4". I will be putting the Karsten or similar on it.

I need about 3/4" to 1" on the stock. Considering my options there.

My big problem today was exhaling and fogging up my lens. This was the easiest sight in I have ever done 3 shots at 25 then out to 100 and on target in 5-6 shots. It's NEVER that easy!

Much better. :) I'm I reading that right, about 1.5 rotations lower overall up adjustment? Sounds good to me.

As for loads, you should find a box of Federal Gold Medal Match and see how it works for you. Though, if you are going to work up your own loads you might save the money. I've always found the that the FGMM in 175grain BTHP is pretty amazing ammo.

Yes you are reading that right, about 7 mil rad. The math says 5.8 mil = 20 MOA but the reality was 7-1/2 - 8.0, cool:cool:

Thanks for the tip on the ammo.

I've been watching this with some interest as I just purchased a Savage 10FCP-SR in .308. I must have an older model Vortex Viper as it will only focus down to 50 yards. I haven't had a chance to get the new gun to the range yet (She who must be obeyed doesn't know we have the Savage yet). I've been using a Viper 6.5 to 20X50 on a DPMS Gen II Recon in .308. With that scope/rifle combo and hand loads my five shot groups at 100 yards are .75 inches center to center. (168 Grain Sierra Match Kings over 43.1 grains of CFE223). Shot off a bench using the Harris bipod and no rear bag.

Have you found a place to get reasonably priced mags for your rifle? Cheapest AICS mags I found were $75 for a 10 round mag.

Thanks for sharing all the info.

Getting a 6.5 to focus at less than 50 yards can be a hard one, thought I would suggest perhaps playing with the parallax knob (assuming it has one.) That might help you.

As for Cheapest AICS mags... Good luck with that one, someone is making a 'cheaper' version but they still run $50 a piece or some such.

I thought the DPMS used the DPMS / SR-25 magazines, not AICS magazines? Or do you mean for your Savage 10FCP-SR? If that is the case, yeah, AICS mags are spendy as all get out. :(

The Gen II DPMS uses P-Mags, thankfully. I can pick up the 20 round mags for 25 bucks. The AICS will be for the Savage. I probably should have thought of the mag prices before buying the rifle. Oh well, live and learn.

The 6.5 to 20X50 Vortex Viper does have a parallax knob. It only goes down to 50 yards and up to infinity. I had the scope on my Remington 700 until my daughter decided she wanted the Remmy. I didn't mind giving her the rifle, but I'm not gonna part with that scope. I'll probably pick up another one for the Savage.

Vortex makes pretty good glass for the money.

The Gen II DPMS uses P-Mags, thankfully. I can pick up the 20 round mags for 25 bucks. The AICS will be for the Savage. I probably should have thought of the mag prices before buying the rifle. Oh well, live and learn.

The 6.5 to 20X50 Vortex Viper does have a parallax knob. It only goes down to 50 yards and up to infinity. I had the scope on my Remington 700 until my daughter decided she wanted the Remmy. I didn't mind giving her the rifle, but I'm not gonna part with that scope. I'll probably pick up another one for the Savage.

Vortex makes pretty good glass for the money.

Absolutely, Vortex is a great value!

I'm a bit puzzled why magazine prices would be an issue on a bolt action rifle. One extra should do it. When I am on the bench I don't even bother loading the mag, just drop a round in and go!

The stock steel mags for a Gunsite Scout fit the Savage but the poly mags do not:(

I'm a bit puzzled why magazine prices would be an issue on a bolt action rifle. One extra should do it. When I am on the bench I don't even bother loading the mag, just drop a round in and go!

The stock steel mags for a Gunsite Scout fit the Savage but the poly mags do not:(

If you are doing normal bench shooting you are correct. If you are doing PRS or other competition type matches extra mags can make or break your score.

Though, I will say AICS mags tend to hold up well. So a few will last a long time.

I'm not much of a bench shooter. I very seldom fire two shots from the same place or position, unless I'm establishing a zero. I prefer to have my ammunition loaded in magazines, ready to shoot when I need it. Just a personal preference from someone who made their living with a gun. Your mileage may vary.

I thought the DPMS used the DPMS / SR-25 magazines, not AICS magazines? Or do you mean for your Savage 10FCP-SR? If that is the case, yeah, AICS mags are spendy as all get out. :(

No, even the original Gen 1 DPMS 308 rifles work just fine with P-Mags.

And one can easily find the 20 round P-Mags for $20 or even less, if you shop around a bit. Even Midway USA has the latest 20 round P-Mags for $19

I would second this recommendation from Morpheus to try some factory match ammo in the rifle. That will then let you know if you have a great shooter or not.

Besides Federal Gold, Hornady Match ammo, and Black Hills Match ammo are excellent as well. Black Hills has quite a few different loadings with various Hornady A-MAX and Sierra Match bullets. Try a box of one of them out and see how things go.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top