JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a shop that does engraving for a Glock poly 80. I hear mixed things about if I have to have a serial number on them. I mainly want to done in case one gets stolen or if for some reason a local cop doesn't understand the law. I asked a cop friend and he had no clue.

Someone said trophy shop but I called two and neither would touch it.

Ideas?

I'm looking for a shop that does engraving for a Glock poly 80. I hear mixed things about if I have to have a serial number on them. I mainly want to done in case one gets stolen or if for some reason a local cop doesn't understand the law. I asked a cop friend and he had no clue.

Someone said trophy shop but I called two and neither would touch it.

Ideas?

Bye Engraving on Barbur Blvd. in Portland will do it. They have great reviews.

https://www.byeengraving.com/contact-us

If you have no plans to SBR or sell it, you do not need a serial number. If you want to put one on, thats totally optional. Just realize that a serial number carved into polymer is easily removed. I dunno if the Polymer 80 guns have the imbedded steel plate to show the serial number that factory guns do.

If you have no plans to SBR or sell it, you do not need a serial number. If you want to put one on, thats totally optional. Just realize that a serial number carved into polymer is easily removed. I dunno if the Polymer 80 guns have the imbedded steel plate to show the serial number that factory guns do.
They have a metal tab on them like the OEM frames.

It doesn't hurt to serialize a gun that you are the maker of. Usually for theft reasons, or if you plan to sell it.

Last Edited:
Thanks stomper I will call them tomorrow. I had thought about a stamp set from harbor freight but decided against it. I have no problem serializing what I build. I'm the only person who knows the number. I finished these lowers mainly for range and competition use. Not because they are 80%

And it's fun!

Well I tried a punch set. I think I ruined my Glock poly 80 lower serial plate. It turned out awful. I own three and this was has been my "bastard child". Not as reliable as the rest. I think I will just pay someone to engrave it. I really didn't want to drive to Portland to get it done. I try really hard not to spend a nickel in that city.

As for serializing a poly lower I have been told by a very trusted owner of a local gun shop that it is illegal not to serialize a 80percent lower once you finish it. This shop sells suppressors and does SBRs. I'm inclined to believe them. Nobody but me will ever know the number and I really don't need the threat of jail time for not following a law. My good friend is also a local police chief. He said a gun with no number raises huge red flags and they would probably be charged.

Please no flame here. Intend to believe the gun shop and my chief friend over forum experts.

If you want a real answer, I suggest you call the BATFE and ask them. Having said that I believe that they will tell you that once it is a complete gun then it has to have a serial number.

Thanks KGG. I'm going to have them engraved tomorrow at BYE engraving. I don't really need the answer since I am just going to engrave them.

I just found out Poly 80 is selling Glock lowers finished and serialized. If I get another one that is the route I will go. I just wanted them because I like how they feel and shoot. I could care less about the 80 percent thing.

Only if you intend to sell or SBR it is what has been said in threads with links.

80% Arms:80% Lower Receivers FAQ
Jim; This gentleman is concerned about the possible loss of a stolen firearm. Unfortunately, that is something that is way too common in this day and age. I don't know about you, but I have each and every serial number of all on my guns recorded in more than one place. I want to be able to provide a list to a Law Enforcement Agency if something should happen to even one of my guns and that seems to be what the OP also wants.:)

Thanks for the info guys. I believe what I read in that link above, But it doesn't hurt me to put a serial number on it. I will be the only one who knows it. If I ever want to sell them or ever get pulled over by a cop who doesn't understand the law it will make my life a lot easier.

If you wish to serialize that's your biz. You made it, do what you want (for now) in America.

As far as relying on internet posts or, a cop friend who thinks you need one or a gun store owner who heard something one time at band camp..... feel free to actually READ LAWS YOURSELF.

When you find the one that mandates you put a serial number on a gun you made (NFA excepted) for your own use in America, post it here.

*free 6" Subway sandwich of choice for first quoted authority that citizens who make guns for personal use, have to serialize them.

As for serializing a poly lower I have been told by a very trusted owner of a local gun shop that it is illegal not to serialize a 80percent lower once you finish it.

No flame... but please cite the law they quoted that says an 80% lower must be serialized. If they can't do that, they are not experts on the subject.

BTW, you could have avoided all the unwanted commentary by leaving that part of the story out! ;)

Last Edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I believe what I read in that link above, But it doesn't hurt me to put a serial number on it. I will be the only one who knows it. If I ever want to sell them or ever get pulled over by a cop who doesn't understand the law it will make my life a lot easier.

That's just great that you want to be prepared, I do not blame you.
I offered the link more for you to understand what the actual requirements are in case you want to share with others about the subject of 80% building & ownership.;)

Jim; This gentleman is concerned about the possible loss of a stolen firearm. Unfortunately, that is something that is way too common in this day and age. I don't know about you, but I have each and every serial number of all on my guns recorded in more than one place. I want to be able to provide a list to a Law Enforcement Agency if something should happen to even one of my guns and that seems to be what the OP also wants.:)

I figured that was the reason he wanted to do it.
I just wanted to provide the OP with legal requirements that are available to the public to spread positive information instead of heresy from others.;)

According to my research it needs makers name and where it was made too. That's a conclusion I came up with that would make it 'correct for atf'

You don't need your full name, look into what's a legal abbreviation.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top