JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi community,

I would like some advice.

To give a little background:
1) I am 23 years old, 2 years out of college and work full time and make good money
2) Although I make good money, I'm paying my wedding, honeymoon and saving to buy a house next year.
3) I have a 16'' AR15, o/u 28'' shotgun & my first purchase: The IO Inc AK47
4) My objective: Diversify my gun types to have 1 of each (future wife is a stickler to this limit): home defense shotgun, Aerial shotgun, medium range carbine, long range AR15/AR10 style rifle

My first gun i've ever purchased was a brand new IO Inc AK47 while I was a junior in college. I've loved it to death and i've put some money into the rifle for upgrades to make it tacticool. Now that my AK47 "project" is complete with all essential upgrades I've ever wanted, it doesn't seem as exciting to me anymore now that i have bigger ambitions of upgrading to better firearms and I'm making good money.

I know the answer to this question is "it depends" or "it's all up to you". Have any of you felt regret when selling/trading away your first gun for something much better?

Last Edited:
If you are making good money, keep it, put it away and buy another project gun and start over. It's addictive and before too long you have a respectable collection.

I have bought and sold many firearms through the years.
Interests change you see something shinny so you sell
this to by that. I use to be into Magnum revolvers. Now
I am into military rifles. Looking back I kick myself over some
of the handguns and rifles I have sold. Others I do not
regret. Sometimes you sell something to buy a improved
or upgraded model of the same.:)
One criteria I consider now before selling a firearm. Can
I purchase one in the future for a reasonable price? I have sold
some rifles that would now bring 3 or 4 times what I sold it for.:(
But it is not just a $$$ thing. What are you into?? Shooter??
and/or Collector??o_O

I have bought and sold many firearms through the years.
Interests change you see something shinny so you sell
this to by that. I use to be into Magnum revolvers. Now
I am into military rifles. Looking back I kick myself over some
of the handguns and rifles I have sold. Others I do not
regret. Sometimes you sell something to buy a improved
or upgraded model of the same.:)
One criteria I consider now before selling a firearm. Can
I purchase one in the future for a reasonable price? I have sold
some rifles that would now bring 3 or 4 times what I sold it for.:(
But it is not just a $$$ thing. What are you into?? Shooter??
and/or Collector??o_O
I'm more of a shooter rather than a collector. That will probably change in 20-30 years when I'm in my 40's & 50's but for now, I like to diversify my rifles/calibers/barrel lengths to accommodate for short/medium and long range shooting (Keeps shooting interesting). I'm thinking about possibly trading my AK away for a 20'' stock AR that I would plan on making into a 6.5 Grendel or another unique caliber (I like UNIQUE calibers/guns)

I sold my first .22 but I didn't care for it much. With the money I bought a 10-22 I like better.
I would be more worried about the future wife already setting limits on the number of guns you can buy. :(

I sold my first .22 but I didn't care for it much. With the money I bought a 10-22 I like better.
I would be more worried about the future wife already setting limits on the number of guns you can buy. :(

We're buying a home soon and need money for a down payment and my safe is a flimsy $80 8-gun safe from walmart. The "limit" is temporary since I don't have a bigger safe to store them in right now:)

My first rifle was a norinco sks. I don't regret selling it one bit because my 2nd rifle was an arsenal slr 95 ak. My first gun though was a glock 21sf and that's been by my side for 10 years.

My focus the last few years has been on shuffling my collection around the types of guns that may be difficult to obtain in the future, depending on how the political tides flow. So, that means gathering up things like AK's, AR's and double stack pistols as well as gathering up the standard capacity magazines to go with them. Things like bolt guns, lever guns, revolvers and single stack pistols kind of took a back seat for awhile.

So, my theory is hold on to those things that politicians may make it harder to acquire in the future. At the very least, acquire some lowers and magazines, you can build them later. Otherwise the only AR you may be able to purchase may be one with 10-round mags, a bullet button and one of these ridonculous funky-a$$ NY Safe Act compliant stocks:

image.jpeg

Sell, if your have lost interest especially in an AR or an AK, I would sell them in a heartbeat.
Heirloom type of firearms, even if they are not your cup of tea right now. They might interest you in a few years.
Just getting married I would make sure you have a good roof over your head!

Its easy to sell, but its harder to buy.

I weigh my firearms out, I figure if I have something similar or two of one thing then Ill sell it if I need quick cash or a trade item.

If you're into firearms and know that it'll be a hobby of yours, Id advise keeping what you currently have. Not to drag politics into this but I doubt we'll have the ability to buy certain firearms in the future. Yes, I know thats been said in the past.. But seriously.. It is going to happen if the wrong people are put in charge or if another big shooting happens. The AK and AR15 being two that will surely have restrictions on them down the road.

Keep what you have, save for what you want.

Everyone should have at least one AK and one AR.. Which you have. That right there is the start of a great collection. I get bored of some of my firearms as well, so I rotate what I shoot for a few months then go back to it down the road.

Its easy to sell, but its harder to buy.

I weigh my firearms out, I figure if I have something similar or two of one thing then Ill sell it if I need quick cash or a trade item.

If you're into firearms and know that it'll be a hobby of yours, Id advise keeping what you currently have. Not to drag politics into this but I doubt we'll have the ability to buy certain firearms in the future. Yes, I know thats been said in the past.. But seriously.. It is going to happen if the wrong people are put in charge or if another big shooting happens. The AK and AR15 being two that will surely have restrictions on them down the road.

Keep what you have, save for what you want.

Everyone should have at least one AK and one AR.. Which you have. That right there is the start of a great collection. I get bored of some of my firearms as well, so I rotate what I shoot for a few months then go back to it down the road.
Thank you for this great advice. I've never thought about both AK's and AR's being staples.

Only advise I can add is to keep all your guns. Save money and get eloped. Then buy more guns and ammo!

Serious note though, I'm a little weird as is my wife. We went cheap on our wedding. They are s huge BS market full of crap for one day. If you love her, and her you, talk it over. Selling your guns or anything for that matter for a day of anxiety isn't worth it. If she doesn't understand, maybe that's a sign.

Only advise I can add is to keep all your guns. Save money and get eloped. Then buy more guns and ammo!

Serious note though, I'm a little weird as is my wife. We went cheap on our wedding. They are s huge BS market full of crap for one day. If you love her, and her you, talk it over. Selling your guns or anything for that matter for a day of anxiety isn't worth it. If she doesn't understand, maybe that's a sign.
A friend told me about a family that the bride's dad offered to give them $50k cash instead of for the wedding.
She said no
I would have left
Anyway,back on topic:rolleyes:,I have sold too many guns it would take a while to remember what my first rifle was.( not including my dads 94).
I understand why some say to keep the ARs and AKs but, I'm like velzy and can sell them easily.
I think it will be a while before they outlaw them. Keep the mags though. They'll outlaw those first

I sold the first rifle, a Remington 788 in .22-250, with no big regrets. I do wish I had it now because it was one of the top 2 or 3 accurate rifles I've ever owned.
Now, we come to the second gun I bought and sold, a High Standard .22lr pistol. Over fifty years ago and I still feel sick about it!
I don't sell my guns anymore! My trading days are done. I like my collection, I chose it carefully, every piece fills a niche. I've got the future possibilities covered except magazines, never have enough! I like the ones that hold LOT'S of boolits!:cool:
I recommend that you keep the basics that you have now, it sounds the perfect start for this day and age. Don't get too caught up in the "shiny and new" mind set! Take a break, shoot your guns, concentrate on home and family and save a little bit for your gun fund. As you achieve your home, etc funds will open up for hobbies!
Not my business, buuut.....a word about weddings! My wife and I had a do it your self wedding, we didn't incur one red cent of debt! We rented the church and pastor, had the reception at my folks house, catered by us! Honeymoon was on the Oregon coast. It was beautiful, fun and a splendid time was had by all (both)! All I can add is I've been married for 45yrs.:D

I sold the first rifle, a Remington 788 in .22-250, with no big regrets. I do wish I had it now because it was one of the top 2 or 3 accurate rifles I've ever owned.
Now, we come to the second gun I bought and sold, a High Standard .22lr pistol. Over fifty years ago and I still feel sick about it!
I don't sell my guns anymore! My trading days are done. I like my collection, I chose it carefully, every piece fills a niche. I've got the future possibilities covered except magazines, never have enough! I like the ones that hold LOT'S of boolits!:cool:
I recommend that you keep the basics that you have now, it sounds the perfect start for this day and age. Don't get too caught up in the "shiny and new" mind set! Take a break, shoot your guns, concentrate on home and family and save a little bit for your gun fund. As you achieve your home, etc funds will open up for hobbies!
Not my business, buuut.....a word about weddings! My wife and I had a do it your self wedding, we didn't incur one red cent of debt! We rented the church and pastor, had the reception at my folks house, catered by us! Honeymoon was on the Oregon coast. It was beautiful, fun and a splendid time was had by all (both)! All I can add is I've been married for 45yrs.:D

Congrats on 45 years! My wife and I are on #23 this year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top