JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recall that the victorious Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar forcibly relocated Jewish captives from Palestine to Babylon in 586 BC. Following is an excerpt from a rather old book by a Cambridge scholar, Terrot Glover, called The Ancient World: A Beginning, written in 1935. Speaking about the end of Jewish captivity in Babylon after the city was defeated by the Persian king Cyrus in 538 BC, he writes: "It appears, and it is a curious revelation, that a large number of Jews, in spite of the freedom given by Cyrus, refused then to return to Palestine as they refuse today; and Jewish scholars tell us that those who remained in Babylonia looked on themselves as the pick of Jewry."

Is it not curious that a people forcibly relocated to Babylon from their Palestinian homeland refused to return once given the freedom to do so? Maybe not so curious. "The pick of Jewry" was literal. When king Nebuchadnezzar defeated the kingdom of Judah in 586 BC, he didn't carry away all Jews, just the professional class, the leaders. The Jews taken to Babylon were the elites, superior in their self-perspective compared to the "common" Jews left in that rural backwater called Palestine. When given the choice whether to remain in one of the greatest cities on Earth at the time, or return to a subsistence existence of husbandry in Palestine… well, you can see why some Jews elected to remain in Babylon, hanging onto their urbanized self-perspective of superiority.

That all occurred some 2,560 years ago. I relate this in order to show how things have not changed much. Urbanites today still look down on rural people with a sense of superiority. Having been privileged to live in urban, rural, and suburban settings, I can tell you that the average urbanite thinks rural people are backward, uneducated, narrow-minded, Luddites, ignorant. These perspectives spill over into political policies whereby values embraced by rural residents get regularly trashed by the urbanite elites who control both Salem and Olympia.

And of all the policies that represent the rural-urban divide, the self-perception of urban superiority and rural inferiority, certainly gun regulation is right there at or near the top.

Urbanites think rural people are ignorant gun-toting fanatics, and consequently they never question their superior "understanding" of what constitutes right and wrong. What the arrogant urbanites never ask themselves is why they must impose their gun control measures on rural areas that have no impact on their urban areas. They never question why their perspectives on gun control should be imposed across the entire state, instead of just on their own urban counties. Of course, for any thinking person with an understanding of the constitution and civil liberties it is equally wrong to impose gun control on urban areas, but at least the urbanites have a majority in those counties. Not so in rural counties, yet they still want to control rural areas just the same as urban areas. Blinded by their self-perceived superiority, they are equally blinded to how wrong that is.

Our founding fathers were sensitive to the tyranny of the majority. But there is a deeper, darker shade of malevolence infecting urban areas in Washington and Oregon: the tyranny of Self-Perceived Superiority.

If there is a class struggle I believe it's more of the elite vs the middle class. The elite are pretty much destroying the gains of the last 70 years and or wealth and freedoms are being robbed from us.

If there is a class struggle I believe it's more of the elite vs the middle class. The elite are pretty much destroying the gains of the last 70 years and or wealth and freedoms are being robbed from us.
There are plenty of people who are not elites that are helping to destroy the freedoms we have in this country. They tend to come from urban areas too. Often they move to rural areas and ruin those areas too. Bend is an example of that.

There are plenty of people who are not elites that are helping to destroy the freedoms we have in this country. They tend to come from urban areas too. Often they move to rural areas and ruin those areas too. Bend is an example of that.
A man would have to write a book to explain all the changes of the last 70 years and the book probably wouldn't be read .:D The culture has changed so much in so many ways that the accumulation of events are hard for today's half educated to understand what they even lost.

I am not throwing rocks and I know you understand but I just don't want to pound out a reply.

Have a great day friend. It's 51 and sunny so looks like a trip to the range would be fun.

It doesn't really matter who's in what group. American politicians have been using identity politics since America came to be. Fear and hate will drive people to the polls way faster than love and contentment. It's what gets people to blindly cling to failed ideologies and close their ears and minds to reason. All of your frustrations can be directed at your enemy and all of your failures in life can be laid at their feet.

I agree with you. The elitists who see themselves as superior are definitely leading the changes hurting our country, and in particular hurting rural areas. Unfortunately, the elitists have followers, people who are more "commoner" than truly the elite. Such followers largely come from the urban areas where they have been acculturated to follow and not think for themselves, at least not as individuals. Just look at Portland. Just look at Seattle. So many followers being strung along by elitists who, amazingly, always seem to know what is best for everybody else, even people in rural areas.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top