Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Screw issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregonhunter5, May 14, 2013.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Calling all red necks, grease monkeys, wrench turners, and good ol white trash geniuses. I need to install some new mirrors on my 75 fj40, and the screw won't move. Actually two screws. There's paint over, and all the years of gunk. Busted a screw head on my power torque Bosch driver.
    Now what?

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

See we need a vehicle forum!

Any way try an impact driver, they are very handy. If you don't have one, find a crummy screw driver the fits the head and twist while knocking it with a hammer. It won't work as well as the impact driver, but it may help.

3. Oregonhunter5

Yea tried that. I call it me torque wrench. Idiot me. I'm actually pretty handy. Unlike my wife on a Friday night. Lol
    What else?

4. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Penetrating oil (rust-solv, liquid wrench, Kano Kroil, WD40)

5. Oregonhunter5

Just tried again, and its stripping. I have nice screw drivers, and it bent the head on the driver now. Now that its stripped, I guess I need a mechanic to drill the POS out?

6. Oregonhunter5

I'm a bit grumpy tonight as well. I've been wanting to put different mirrors on this dang thing since I bought it 3 years ago, and than this. Can I brother get a break? 4 kids screaming in the house, work stress, I'm about to begin yoga! Save me!,,

7. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

If the impact driver and penetrating oil did not do the trick, I see two options.

Grind the head of the screw flat and drill it out, or grab a mini torch and heat up the screw and then use the impact driver.

8. Oregonhunter5

I can't see how the penetrating oil cold seep in the hole. It's really tight with paint around the edges.

9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Can you get a picture? Is there anyway to remove the paint without damaging the paint on the vehicle. Been a long time since I worked on an FJ and am having problems picturing it only head.

10. Oregonhunter5

Ok. Let me see if I can load a picture on here.

11. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Remove paint. Down to metal.
    Spot/plug weld a nut to the screw. Remove. Or at least break screw.

12. Oregonhunter5

image.jpg

image.jpg

13. Oregonhunter5

The screw lays vertical not horizontal. Welding a nut seems like a idea. But, will the welding screw up my paint on the edges around the screw, and will a weld hold, or be strong enough!

14. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

PB Blaster is the best penetrating oil I've ever used. It might be too late now that the head of the screw is all messed up though.

15. kburr64

kburr64 Milwaukie, Or. Member

Cut a slot in the top of the screw that a substantial flat head screwdriver would fit into ? just a thought...

16. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I bought a Makita 14.4v impact gun a couple of years ago and wouldn't even try to use a hand held screwdriver anymore on jobs like this.
    A rechargable drill/driver has about 400 inch pounds of torque, and the impact has over 1800 inch pounds.
    I would find someone that has an impact gun. Find a good quality Philips bit that is slightly over sized for the bunged up screw head, tap on it to seat it tight and then take the inside panel off see if you can help it along by spraying some penetrating oil from the interior.
    You might be able to just break it loose from inside if the screw is long enough.

17. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I think I solved your problem. Are you trying to do this without beer?

18. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Go to sears and buy these (in store item).......Sears.com
    or some left handed drill bits, but getting the PB Blaster on the other end first would be best.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Maybe.

Yes, if done right.

20. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

The left hand drill bits work and if they dont Easy-Outs should do it after the hole is drilled.
    One other option it using a precision grinder grind the hand off the screw, center punch a dimple and drill a hold throught the screw with a slightly smaller bit (1/32 smaller) and chase the threads with a tap.

WD-40 is not a penetrating oil.