JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Calling all red necks, grease monkeys, wrench turners, and good ol white trash geniuses. I need to install some new mirrors on my 75 fj40, and the screw won't move. Actually two screws. There's paint over, and all the years of gunk. Busted a screw head on my power torque Bosch driver.
Now what?

Calling all red necks, grease monkeys, wrench turners, and good ol white trash geniuses. I need to install some new mirrors on my 75 fj40, and the screw won't move. Actually two screws. There's paint over, and all the years of gunk. Busted a screw head on my power torque Bosch driver.
Now what?

See we need a vehicle forum!

Any way try an impact driver, they are very handy. If you don't have one, find a crummy screw driver the fits the head and twist while knocking it with a hammer. It won't work as well as the impact driver, but it may help.

Just tried again, and its stripping. I have nice screw drivers, and it bent the head on the driver now. Now that its stripped, I guess I need a mechanic to drill the POS out?

I'm a bit grumpy tonight as well. I've been wanting to put different mirrors on this dang thing since I bought it 3 years ago, and than this. Can I brother get a break? 4 kids screaming in the house, work stress, I'm about to begin yoga! Save me!,,

If the impact driver and penetrating oil did not do the trick, I see two options.

Grind the head of the screw flat and drill it out, or grab a mini torch and heat up the screw and then use the impact driver.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The screw lays vertical not horizontal. Welding a nut seems like a idea. But, will the welding screw up my paint on the edges around the screw, and will a weld hold, or be strong enough!

PB Blaster is the best penetrating oil I've ever used. It might be too late now that the head of the screw is all messed up though.

I bought a Makita 14.4v impact gun a couple of years ago and wouldn't even try to use a hand held screwdriver anymore on jobs like this.
A rechargable drill/driver has about 400 inch pounds of torque, and the impact has over 1800 inch pounds.
I would find someone that has an impact gun. Find a good quality Philips bit that is slightly over sized for the bunged up screw head, tap on it to seat it tight and then take the inside panel off see if you can help it along by spraying some penetrating oil from the interior.
You might be able to just break it loose from inside if the screw is long enough.

The left hand drill bits work and if they dont Easy-Outs should do it after the hole is drilled.
One other option it using a precision grinder grind the hand off the screw, center punch a dimple and drill a hold throught the screw with a slightly smaller bit (1/32 smaller) and chase the threads with a tap.

WD-40 is not a penetrating oil.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top