JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Big zip tie. The ones that are about 5/16" wide. Not perfect, but cheap---especially
if you have just been doing some cable bundling and there were a few left over.
The Coaster reel mounts are probably the next step up.

Yeah, I thought about a big zip tie. The type used for CV Boots on a car or truck. Or the type a tag can be attached to the loop.

For the intended purpose, big bucks (to me) given the intended purpose, is $35 plus.

At this point I don't know if I'll need a throw lever until the scope arrives. I ordered the Vortex PST 1-4x24. I'm doing some research ahead of time.

Other throw lever options are made by MGM, called the "Switchview"
I may (if necessary) by one from these folks. http://www.mgmswitchview.com/

Last Edited:
I agree the factory vortex SV-2(for the scope you mentioned) is kinda high but worth it in my opinion. I have the SV-4 on my strike eagle, it fits correctly and works great.
If the head/handle on that 'breakaway nylon coaster' didn't seem so big I might be willing to try it on another scope I have. I will also say I haven't used a scope that wouldn't benefit from some sort of assist handle if you adjust them often.

@Boboclown

I ordered my scope direct through Vortex, on last Friday. Given the weekend, and Memorial day tomorrow, the order will not get processed until Tuesday. I could have ordered the cattail with the scope. At the time, it was a brain fade. I'm thinking (based on videos watched) that I would benefit from having a cattail due to the stiffness of the magnification ring as they seem to have.

I'll ponder the thought. If I decide, I'll call Vortex and speak with the gentlemen I spoke with prior to placing the order, and modify the order to include one at the same discounted rate.

@70cyclone
I was thinking the nylon coaster was a bit large myself. I bet I could come up with something more streamline out of some UHMW. A zip through the tablesaw, a bit of router work, and a screw, hmmm

one issue with plastic ones is they tend to be bigger than necessary to avoid being broken off when handled.
I'm all for making your own stuff, thats why I have a cnc mill, lathe, laser, etc. I also know that many times the MFG actually get it right. Zip tie it or get the factory one :D

I've been out in the shop pondering, and have come up with a good idea for one. I've got all the materials on hand, and I've got the idea jotted down. I'll have to wait for the scope to arrive to mock one up for testing.

If it doesn't work, no big thing. But I have to try it!!

I've been out in the shop pondering, and have come up with a good idea for one. I've got all the materials on hand, and I've got the idea jotted down. I'll have to wait for the scope to arrive to mock one up for testing.

If it doesn't work, no big thing. But I have to try it!!
:s0122:...after completed of course :)

Hey, have you guys seen the DIY method on Utube? It uses a breakaway coaster, a fishing dohicky for clamping reels onto surf rods. Looks professional, guy quotes the price at $20+ shipping for two units!

Big zip tie. The ones that are about 5/16" wide. Not perfect, but cheap---especially
if you have just been doing some cable bundling and there were a few left over.
The Coaster reel mounts are probably the next step up.

Oops! Didn't catch your mention of the Coaster's, Bill.

I see one listed on Cabellas sight that is adjustable and is offered in different sizes.
I'm thinking of trying one of these my self, the nubb on my Nightforce scopes isn't always in a location that's easy to get to! I tried to link to there page, but I cant get it to work.

Readily available in most garages. Easy to install. Great leverage. Classic "Bubba" look.

IMG_0464_zpswh2lcx7p.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top