JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like some recomendations on a scope purchase. Its for a Marlin 45-70. My goal is a quick detach ring setup so I can put it on in the rare case I enter a clear cut and spot game. What I am looking for in a scope is a highly compact, tough scope that has at least a 4 power zoom and as much as 10 would be great. Fixed magnification is ok. Mill dot is a plus or even a bdc retical. Most of all it needs to be small becouse Im going to be packing this thing around. Price point is around $200 but less is ok. Thanks in advance for your recomendations.

Howdy Gun,

My Marlin Guide Gun is equipped with Leupold QD (Quick Detatch) mounts and rings, and has a Leupold VXII 1x-4x variable scope on it. Newcid explained very well the capabilities of this power range as being compatible with the gun/cartridge capabilities. I sighted my irons in to be dead-on at 100 yards, then sighted the scope in for the same range. I took the scope off (with rings attached to it) three seperate times, banged it on a padded portion of my bench, and put it back on the gun, and three times it returned to precise zero at 100 yards. This is flawless repeatability.

More money that you said you wanted to spend, but a good used Leupold 1x-4x could be found for $200 (or less) if you look. Another option for detachable mounts is the "Warne" style, that has larger detachment levers, and fits on a Weaver or Picatinny-style rail. I have this arrangement on my Marlin .357 carbine, again with a Leupold 1x-4x. The economical version of quick detach is a conventional Weaver ring with the large detachment screws, and they can be loosened in the field with a large coin, or in a pinch, a stout knife blade. They are not necessarily advertised as a "repeatable" detach mount, but in multiple tests on various guns, the repeatability is quite surprising.

You have a substantial investment in your good Marlin. Allow it to perform at its best with a substantial investment in optics. "Buy a rifle for your scope" is a good way of looking at it.

Leupold 2-7x33 would be a decent choice, too. We have one on a Ruger Compact. Not too big and the range of powers is decent.

Thanks for the great responces, I own a Leupold vx1 2-7x33 and its a great scope, its home is on a Stag Arms ar-15 and has worked flawlessly. My delima is I want somthing alot smaller becouse Ill be carying it in my pac or feild jacket. I have to agree with you Spitpatch on a gun for the scope and I may have to raise my price tag. Ive thought about a handgun scope but think the eye releaf would be to far.

I'd take a different approach and slap Leupold FX 2.5 scout scope on top of an XS Scout Mount with ghost ring BUI and call it a day. This setup will keep the weapon as it is intended to be, quick and handy. Honestly a Mildot setup is pure silliness on a 45-70 lever gun

<broken link removed>
XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts

I was just thinking about the same thing!

I like that scope. Im also looking at the leupold mark ar 1.5-4x20 and its even smaller. As far as a mill dot goes, being that it can double as a range finder, it would be a great retical to have in the feild. That way if I opt to not carry a range finder, I might be ok... In a pinch.

The scout scope arrangement (long eye-relief optic mounted forward of the receiver on the barrel) is a viable option, but even its proponents will acknowledge that for a person who's never used that set-up, it does take some practice and getting used to. The greatest thing that it accomplishes is nearly allowing full peripheral vision of all that is not the target (a conventional receiver mounted scope blocks some naked-eye field of view). With practice, and regular re-orientation (especially if all your other scopes are mounted conventionally), it delivers an area of advantage.

For my purposes, a scout arrangement is not preferred. I do a lot of my traveling in the woods on horseback. A scout arrangement is not compatible with a scabbard (quick extraction, easy insertion). For the ATV guys (me too), once again if you use a scabbard, the scout arrangement is problematic. Also, I am a guy who likes routine and predictability. If 99% of my guns have a scope that comes to my eye, and I have one gun with a scope that is way out there, I will struggle for a moment (and most predictably with a situation requiring a fast handling timber gun, a moment I would not have to spare).

As to your Mil-Dot considerations, keep in mind that a duplex reticle can serve admirably as an elevation guide. I have not practiced at longer ranges with my Guide Gun (200 yards plus), but I will be willing to bet that with a 1x-4x scope, you could find a power setting that would make your lower vertical duplex post tip dead-on as a drop compensator for the .45-70 at 200 yards.

Leupold sets up 'some' scopes with yardage out to 500[I think] for all of $29 in their custom shop.
Call ahead and ask if the scope you're eye-ing is one they alter. It is replacing the elev. knob.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top